Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 01-04-2022, 01:24 PM

Default Re: 003r clicking sound and unwanted signal on input 1

I still think the problem is with internal clock, which means bad FW cable or bad seating. FW socket may get loose over time, so gently pinch the edges inwards (not much, but just half a millimeter that the plug gets good connection).

Clocking issues appear as periodical clicks so there seems to be clocking issue somewhere. I am assuming for troubleshooting purposes this 003 has no other cables connected except power, firewire, and the one signal that is being trialed.
Old 01-05-2022, 07:51 AM

Re the clicking, we really need to know more about it. Is it in the audio(clocking or failing chip) Or, are you hearing it from within the 003(most likely a relay). From my own(limited) experience, clocking issues affect all the channels that use the clock(and clicking is in the audio and on the track)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-05-2022, 08:05 AM

Yes, if it is a clocking issue it should show everywhere when you do this simple test:

- create a new session
- hit default to your system setup
- add 18 mono audio tracks to your session
- make sure all of them get discrete inputs from analog 1-8, adat 9-16, spdif 17-18
- route them to your monitoring output
- record enable and hit record
- record for a minute and take a look at the waveforms in the edit window

You should see spikes in regular intervals on every track at the same position. Height of the spike does not matter, nor does it matter whether your dummy session is recording silence or something more useful. For testing purposes silence is better and spikes more visible.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:10 PM

Very first post described the clicking sound associated with engaging the HPF.. it's likely the relay on the audio input board.

Trivial tests for somebody handy with electronics. Confirm that channel relay is clicking (there are a ton of relays in these boxes). Check power supply voltages. Try to swap the input/output cables on that input channel with another channel. The channels have multiple electrolytic caps, which well don't last forever so that's an early electronic thing to always exclude, and if so then check other caps you might end up wanting to recap the whole box... or maybe just buy a new interface. All pretty obvious stuff to anybody in electronics. Or just don't use that channel...
Old 01-05-2022, 12:53 PM

Hello

Thanks for all the suggestions. Nice to read everybody is trying to figure out this problem with me.

To avoid confusion; the click I hear in the audio output. It’s not a relay that’s poppin’ like when it boots up. Speaking of which, it boots up normally after two clicks (2 or 3 clicks), together with the front lights. You know, normal boot sequence.

I tried 3 different firewire cables and all available FW400 ports. First thing I tried before posting the initial post. All give the same problem.
I also opened up the 003 and reseated all connection I think are related to input 1 (it is printed on the PCB’s).
Also looked for bulging or cracked caps, but everything seems clean. Inside it’s a very clean house. No spider webs or dust or anything.

I looked for “relays” (after googling pictures) and cannot find any.

Next to the single click, there is also a very low frequency signal coming through in the mixer on input 1. Constant signal at -6db (I posted pics earlier).

Hopefully I can pin-point the issue and fix it.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:13 PM

So it may not be a relay at all.

BTW the relays will look like this.. https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...C2-5NU/4291118 (likely the actual part number).

But a quick test if you are inside it already is swap the channel cables to/from the input board and see if the problem moves to another channel. IIRC output channels may be pairs on a connector input channels singular. But you can try combinations that make sense.

Electrolytics can die without bulging or leaking, the real way to tell is with a capacitance and ESR (equivalent resistance) meter, often disconnecting the cap first. Or by looking at signal or power supply that is not being filtered properly because the cap is not working... best with a oscilloscope but sometimes you can use a multimeter to measure the AC voltage ripple vs DC voltages esp. on a power supply rail filtered by these caps. All these 003 are of age where electrolytic caps failing becomes an issue, those damn things cause so many problems in so many electronics as they age.

These boxes also have so many connections, and they can suffer from corrosion or loose connection pins, which is what Janne was after you reseating stuff and sounds like you tried.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-05-2022 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:26 PM

No update yet on the input.

But there is another issue. Not sure if its user error.

I connected a Fostex VC-8 to ADAT in on the 003, and I only get sound when I sync pro tools to the Fostex. If I set Pro Tools to internal clock, the Fostex doesnt lock to it.
When I send audio to the fostex, it does work: fostex will sync to the pro tools clock.

It should work (pro tools set to internal clock) as described in the following image:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 82440960-E1B6-4750-98A1-D9533F713811.jpg (37.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-11-2022, 02:41 PM

We cannot guess what you are doing. How *exactly* have you got stuff connected so a clock can get to the Fostek? Word clock from the 003? Optical? What format optical? Tested with other BNC cables? If using wordclock have you got a 75 ohm cable and 75 ohm terminators at each end? (yes you can get away with junk for short runs, but better not to).

Sounds like you are not using wordclock and that may be worth trying.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:52 PM

Oh sorry. Details:

ADAT optical cable from Fostex out to 003 in. 8 channels over ADAT.

Everything in both directions is working except when trying to sync the Fostex to the internal clock in PT (fostex out to 003 in), I get no sound or no sound and pops. In this direction it only works when syncing PT (slave) to the clock of the Fostex (master). If I turn PT into the master, it doesn’t work.
Old 01-11-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 003user View Post
Oh sorry. Details:

ADAT optical cable from Fostex out to 003 in. 8 channels over ADAT.

Everything in both directions is working except when trying to sync the Fostex to the internal clock in PT (fostex out to 003 in), I get no sound or no sound and pops. In this direction it only works when syncing PT (slave) to the clock of the Fostex (master). If I turn PT into the master, it doesn’t work.
You mean you simultaneously have two TOSLINK cables, one for each direction?