Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2009, 12:31 PM

Default "Avid Video Engine Not Installed"

Hi!

I'm trying to get my music-studio to be able to do more post-work, and want to take a gradual upgrade (for budget-reasons). I'm using ProTools LE, with MPTK2. I know my clients are gonna deliver the project i AAF-format, so I went to a friends studio with PT HD, imported the AAF, and saved it as a PT-project. When I took it back to my studio the project opened nicely exept for the video-track. I got an error message saying "Avid Video Engine not installed". Now I installed it, and installed it again - and again... Still get the same message.

I imported another video-file and it worked fine. Do I need to save the video-file from the AAF-file in another format while on the HD-rig?

I know DV- or Complete- toolkit would most likely fix my problemt, but I won't invest in it just for two-three episodes of low-budget thrash-TV. If I get a deal on say 20 episodes, I'll happily buy it

Thanks for any help.
0153 Oslo
Norway

Nedberg Audio
[email protected]
Old 09-07-2009, 01:15 PM

Default Re: "Avid Video Engine Not Installed"

When you say you opened the AAF from the client, did that AAF include an Avid video file? If so, you would need an Avid video device (any flavor of Mojo) to play the video. If you can, ask for a Quicktime from the client. Sync will vary with Quicktime depending on your playback situation and codec. There a plenty of posts on that topic, I'd suggest searching them.

Digital Media Engineer
Discovery Communications
http://corporate.discovery.com/
Old 09-07-2009, 01:18 PM

Protools is looking for a Mojo or compatible Avid hardware in order to playback the picture. DV toolkit won't help, you either need to convert the aaf pic to dv (or other qt format) or get a mojo
Imdb
Facebook
Old 09-07-2009, 01:34 PM

Thanx for the feedback.

I do have a Canopus ADVC100, it should be compatible vith PT. I played other video-files through it and it works. Have Avid made a video-format that are so different from other formats that you need dedicated hardware to play it?

That would be like ProTools creating a new audiofile-format, and ditch support for .wav and .aif files... Hmmm.
0153 Oslo
Norway

Nedberg Audio
[email protected]
Old 09-07-2009, 02:30 PM

Yes, kind of. MXF is the metadata wrapper for the video, and that is supposed to be non-proprietary. The video file or "essence" as it has been called in the Avid is proprietary. So you need the Mojo to play Avid video in Pro Tools (sync is most accurate this way if both the Mojo and Pro Tools are locked to the same reference). As I said before, Quicktime with DV codec is your best bet.

Digital Media Engineer
Discovery Communications
Old 09-07-2009, 04:29 PM

OK, Thanks bunch.

If I'm gonna buy a Mojo, I'd have to do ten episodes of the show before break-even. I realy don't wanna bother the client with having to convert before delivering. It will make me look less professional, and also there are plenty of other post-studios in this city who's got Mojo's.

I don't have the equipment, I should take the hazle and keep the client happy.

Better start calling my friends for favours ;-)
0153 Oslo
Norway

Nedberg Audio
[email protected]
Old 09-07-2009, 06:09 PM

Did the studio that you used to open the AAF have a Mojo? If so, you can bounce the Avid video to Quicktime, and you would then be able to work on your system with the Canopus.

Digital Media Engineer
Discovery Communications
Old 09-08-2009, 12:17 AM

Yes, they have a Mojo, so that part should be fine

Just to clarify the rest of my question about AVID video engine. It says it's not installed when I know it is. Is that just because no Mojo is connected?

Thank you for the response. It has helped me alot!

Trond
0153 Oslo
Norway

Nedberg Audio
[email protected]
Old 09-08-2009, 05:27 AM

Yes, you are getting that message because a Mojo is not connected to your system. Get the Quicktime bounce and that won't be an issue. Good luck.

Digital Media Engineer
Discovery Communications
Old 09-17-2009, 02:43 PM

Thank you guys for helping me on this one. I've exported the video as QuickTime DV, and it now works on my Canopus. It's a bit of a drag that it takes about half an hour per episode (realtime). I'm also very greatfull to the studio that's letting me do this free of charge at their facility. An expensive Single Malt is on it's way.

Thanx again :-D
0153 Oslo
Norway

Nedberg Audio
[email protected]