Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2023, 11:57 PM

Default MTRX 96k WC not playing nice with Aurora N

I'm using an HDX 3 system with 128 MTRX digilink channels via HDX cards 1 and 2, and 2 Aurora N units connected to HDX card 3.

I have MTRX sync ref and source set to internal, and the Auroras are fed WC from MTRX.

In 48k, everything works fine. In 96k, nothing is getting back into PT from aurora HDX inputs or hardware inserts even though the aurora displays "96k word clock locked" and in and out signals are visible on the aurora meters.

When I change the MTRX WC out setting to base frequency I can hear something from the aurora inputs but the signal is very jittery and unusable.

Any ideas about what's going on or possible work arounds? Thanks!

Last edited by cabbagerock; 02-20-2023 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-20-2023, 02:52 AM

Default Re: MTRX 96k WC not playing nice with Aurora N

Yes but what *exactly* are you doing? The devil here is likely in the details.

All are coax cables 75ohm? You have one cable from the MTRX WC out to a Lynx WC In then a second cable from that Lynx WC Out to the next Lynx WC In. No BNC T and no terminators should be needed. What are the HD IO settings clock settings for both Lynx? I would make sure they are set to external project rate and make sure the MTRX is set to project rate. I thought (not sure) that the Lynx does not support loop sync/base rate WC.

So much troubleshooting with DigiLink systems is helped out by simplifying the system. Does a single Lynx connected to a HDX card work OK with everything else DigiLink disconnected? Two Lynx, one WC from the other? The MTRX and one Lynx WC from the MTRX? The MTRX WC from the Lynx? And so on…
Old 03-20-2023, 10:47 AM

Default Re: MTRX 96k WC not playing nice with Aurora N

Just a follow up in case anyone is on the edge of their seat about this: after MUCH troubleshooting, I was able to resolve this by swapping the brand new 100' digilink cable with another brand new 100' digilink cable, but not before trying yet another other brand new 100' digilink cable, which also failed but with a slightly different set of audible symptoms.

So out of 4 cables purchased, only 2 perform without error at 96k as advertised. The 2 bad cables reproduced the same failures across multiple HDX cards, PT systems, and interfaces.