Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2013, 01:27 AM

Default setting up CD PLAYER INTO C24 CONSOLE.

Hi, guys

please guys help . . .

I have my C24 and pro tools up on running now i want to link my PIONEER CD PLAYER INTO C24 to control the sound trough there, but it´s seems impossible.

what have done so far:

i put a db25-xrl female into C24 stereo in, and the xrl 1-2 to player. . . .

but nothing comes out. .

please help.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:04 AM

Default Re: setting up CD PLAYER INTO C24 CONSOLE.

You want to do exactly what with the CD player? What do you mean by "control" it.

You want to play it thought the C|24 monitor section? Or you want to record from the CD player?

I guess you just want to monitor the CD player. You are sure your CD player is connected to the Ext. Stereo In. DB-25? Right? Or are you using the line-submixer inputs? (so you get volume control on the CD player inputs?, or does your CD player have a front panel volume control you want to use?)? What exact model CD player?

On say the Ext. Stereo In. whole DB25 connector there are only 2 stereo channels. All the wiring pinouts are in the manual. Have you checked (with a multimeter/continuity tester) that the cable you are using actually puts the CD player unbalanced stereo on the correct pins? The CD player output is known to work? The RCA to XLR or TRS adapter you are using is known to work? The correct stereo channel is selected in the monitor section? The volume is turned up? Your monitor section works for other things? For other stereo inputs? Your monitor speakers are powered on and work? You know how to use the monitor section? (read the manual?) You don't have an output in solo mode?

Basically every last thing you need to know to do this is in the C|24 documentation. Work through that and test/validate things (like the actual cable pinout wiring) as you go. Then what does not work as the manual describes it check back here. You need to describe things precisely so we can follow them. e.g. what exact DB-25 input are you going to, with what signals on exactly what pins etc.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-12-2013 at 03:32 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:36 AM

Hi Darryl,

thanks for you reply, but allow me to be more specific.

First of all, I want to monitor the CD player in C24. i connect the out put of my pioneer mixer 800 to the 1-2 and connect to stereo in of C24. for this connection I am using DB25-XLR Female cable.

all cable are brand new, the all came from digidesign, I tested them before hand and there are working perfectly.

now, my Pro tools is working fine with C24, i just follow the Digidesign guide, and worked, all the connection are as in the guide, the 192 I/O is directly connected to the primary HD Core card at back of my PC with digilink cable.

i have I/O 96 and i/O 192 interface both are connected together and 192 is the primary one. the loop sync is setup as in the guide.

My question is, how do I monitor a CD Player through the C24 console?

do i need a Preamp. ?

is there a switch to activate stereo in function?

do i need to connect the output of my CD player to back of my 192 I/O Input.? and from the out put to the C24.?

What would you do if you want to monitor the CD player or a DATA tape from C24?

PLEASE HELP, I know it´s seems simple but I am stuck as I´m new in C24 console.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vingador6 View Post
Hi Darryl,

thanks for you reply, but allow me to be more specific.

First of all, I want to monitor the CD player in C24. i connect the out put of my pioneer mixer 800 to the 1-2 and connect to stereo in of C24. for this connection I am using DB25-XLR Female cable.

all cable are brand new, the all came from digidesign, I tested them before hand and there are working perfectly.

/snip/

My question is, how do I monitor a CD Player through the C24 console?

do i need a Preamp. ?

is there a switch to activate stereo in function?

do i need to connect the output of my CD player to back of my 192 I/O Input.? and from the out put to the C24.?

PLEASE HELP, I know it´s seems simple but I am stuck as I´m new in C24 console.
The monitor has two stereo line in, you don't need a preamp if you want to just listen to the the CD player, certainly not if you already have it running through an outboard mixer that gives you an independent volume control.

You are using another outboard mixer. So is the output of that mixer working correctly? If you directly connect studio monitors to that?

What is "i connect the out put of my pioneer mixer 800 to the 1-2 and connect to stereo in of C24." supposed to mean? The Pioneer 800 what? You mean a Pioneer DJM-800? And you connect what to what, the L/R RCA analog outputs of an Pioneer CD player (what model) to what? To the L/R RCA analog inputs (what ipnut channel?) on the DJM-800 mixer? Or are you going into the mixer via S/PDIF or what and what are the "1-2" inputs (on what?) and what exact stereo pair are they going to on the "Ext. Stereo In." DB-25? You have to explain what you are doing clearly if we have any hope of following along.

But really nothing has changed from what I said before. Get a multimeter or continuity tester and confirm what pin within the DB-25 connector on the cable is going to what XLR connectors/pins. Does that make sense when looking at the wiring diagram in the manual?] There are only two pairs of stereo channels on that "Ext. Stereo In." DB-25 connector which one of those pairs are you trying to connect your mixer output pair to?

How the monitor section of the C|24 works is well described in the manual. You need to press select the stereo St1 or St2 input button corresponding to the stereo pair #1 or #2 you have connected to on the DB-25 connector. Read the manual to make sure you understand how this works and you have not got the monitor section turned down, or something soloed, muted or dimed etc.

Again start at each step in the signal flow and verify things are working, output from the CD player, output from your mixer, correct wiring to the back of the C|24, then the correct input selected in the C|24 monitor controller.

----

Personally I would not hook up a CD player to the monitor, just zero need. I'd run audio off my Pro Tools computer from iTunes or I'd rip the CD into a Pro Tools session. I don't know enough of what you are trying to achieve and why, and why you have an outboard mixer involved/what else is going though that, etc. why you even want a CD player, etc. to offer higher level advice.