Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Why? (request for future versions) *DELETED*

Post deleted by c-tone
Old 08-13-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Why? (request for future versions)

Quote:
2) When changing the main counter from mins:secs to bars:beats (or vice versa) the nudge value automatically gets changed. I do not want it to change. I want to always nudge in ms, and sometimes change away from bars:beats so that I can measure lengths in ms with the cursor.
In the pull down list that allows you to change the nudge value is a preference that is currently checked "Follow Main Time Scale." If you uncheck this, then changing the main counter will allow the nudge value to remain the same. Works for the Grid value too.

Erik
Old 08-13-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:

1) I use an external clock with a 192 and a Sync I/O. When setting the Sync I/O and 192 to clock to external word clock in the Session Setup window, when you change the 192 to sync to Word Clock, the Sync I/O setting reverts to Loop Sync, then PT gives you a warning dialog, and then you have to change it back to Word Clock. When you do that, it changes your 192 setting back to nothing being checked and the main display shows that the main clock source is Sync I/O. Inexplicably, this is the correct setting, but you would never know it. Also strange is that that once set up correctly, the Sync I/O shows that it is ref'd to Digital, and the 192 is clocked to Ext, even though they are both clocked to external word clock, although that is a hardware issue that I don't expect to be addressed.
I have a similar issue. I use the SYNC I/O as a master clock, but lock it to external video reference. When I quit Pro Tools, the SYNC I/O will not stay in video ref mode. It goes back to Loop Sync master. Why? How difficult is it to update the FGPA in the SYNC I/O so that when I quit Pro Tools, the SYNC I/O stays in video ref mode?

Quote:
3) When a track is in hard input (green button) and record ready, taking it out of record ready automatically takes it out of hard input. I monitor through tracks on input sometimes (especially when I record the master mix to a track), and I want it to stay on input until I take it out of input regardless of record ready state.
Again, I have a similar issue. When a track is record enabled, and then TrackInput Monitor is enabled, the transport started and stopped, and then TrackInput Monitor is disabled, no audio is heard despite meter activity on the record enabled track. Why can't I hear the audio if I can see the meter indicating activity?
Old 08-13-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
3) When a track is in hard input (green button) and record ready, taking it out of record ready automatically takes it out of hard input. I monitor through tracks on input sometimes (especially when I record the master mix to a track), and I want it to stay on input until I take it out of input regardless of record ready state.
Just found this one too. It's in the manual, apparently the preference is part of the Operations Tab, just uncheck it and you should be golden. That leaves the hardware situation that could be solved quickly if you check the Post side of the DUC.

"Disable “Input” When Disarming Track
With this Operation preference checked, Track-
Input monitoring will be disabled whenever deselecting
a track’s record Enable button. This is
useful for certain workflows, such as when you
are recording on a series of tracks, one at a time.
Disabling this option allows TrackInput buttons
to remain enabled when deselecting the track’s
Record Enable button.

Erik
Old 08-13-2007, 07:25 PM

Thanks Erik, I feel silly now. That will help me a lot.

I guess that only leaves the Sync issue, which just seems like an oversight or a sort-of bug.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:30 PM

You know guys, a lot of Pro Tools problems are from pilot error.
What Erik found was located in the manual.
Not some hidden vault in the Digi archives, held under lock and key.

My New Instructional Mixing DVD 2 is Shipping
www.tonysound.com
http://twitter.com/tonysound
Old 08-13-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Again, I have a similar issue. When a track is record enabled, and then TrackInput Monitor is enabled, the transport started and stopped, and then TrackInput Monitor is disabled, no audio is heard despite meter activity on the record enabled track. Why can't I hear the audio if I can see the meter indicating activity?
hmm. Not seeing this particular issue. When I try that, there is no meter activity on the record enabled track. There is also no audio, but that's what I would expect, since if it is playing in record ready mode, then it should be playing back the existing track, and if nothing is recorded on that track, then it would be playing back nothing. Perhaps I am not understanding correctly.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
What Erik found was located in the manual.
Not some hidden vault in the Digi archives, held under lock and key.
You're right. My bad. As punishment, I will force myself to read the manual tonight!
Old 08-14-2007, 12:13 AM

Quote:
You're right, most of the time the answer is found right from the manual. But there are times PT doesn't work *for* you. For example, why on earth PT cannot write automation while recording audio? It's just stupid not to be able to use VCA's while recording and even more stupid to lose the fader moves done while tracking.

I have read the manual multiple times while looking for a solution to this issue; but if I have missed that part, please correct me. I would so much want to record automation AND audio at the same time.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:46 AM

Quote:
imes change away from bars:beats so that I can measure lengths in ms with the cursor.

In Preferences/Operation untick Disable "Input" when Disarming (In "Stop")

Hope it helps,
Timothy