Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2004, 11:50 PM

Default Pro Tools Books

Hello all,

After some weeks reading you everyday I´ve decided to register and enter the world of pro tools (well, in fact I decided to start when I saw the TDM studio of a friend of mine... doomed bastard ). I´ve decided to start just with a mbox to start learning the system and spend some money on a few books.

After reading a lot of reviews, I´ve decided to buy these two:

Pro Tools 6 for Macintosh and Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
The Musician's Guide to Pro Tools

The first one seems a beginner one, and the second one has a lot of nice reviews.

What do you think about these books? Do you own any other and would like to recommend it?

Also, has anybody made a Berkleemusic online course? I´m thinking in enroling in one of them, but I´m not sure if it´s worth the money (I´ve read a lot of nice thing about the course and the teacher, David Franz).

Thanks for everything, and please excuse me for my bad english (I´m a spanish folk).

Jorge Navas Alejo
[email protected]
www.metalcry.com
www.thecrimsonidol.com
Old 08-23-2004, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Books

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CoolSchStPTLE/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CoolSchool8/

Those might be a good start for you. I have the second one which is more geared towards the TDM version but it should help anyone trying to learn Pro Tools.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:13 AM

Umm... Both look great. Maybe they´ll be my next buy.

What about Pro Tools Videos Webpage? Anybody has suscribed to them?

Jorge Navas Alejo
[email protected]
www.metalcry.com
www.thecrimsonidol.com
Old 08-24-2004, 01:19 AM

Pro Tools 6 for Macintosh and Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) is your BEST bet for a PT book. It's become my bible in the studio sitting right next to my console.

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab
Old 08-24-2004, 04:48 AM

Hi i used this, http://www.digidesign.com/disk/diskflix/, which i found very helpful. I know it does nto go into loads of detail, but it helped me alot

Laptop P3.4 800 FSB
1 GB 400 DDR RAM
2 x 60GB 7200 HD
DIGI 002 R
Old 08-24-2004, 07:22 AM

Theres also a list on the DIGISTORE of good books you can buy for ProTools LE, one of my Favorites that I skimmed through was the ProTools 6 Ignite book.

=-Ben
Old 08-24-2004, 09:45 AM

Visual quickstart guide is your best bet definately.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:03 AM

Before enrolling in an online course, or maybe even buying some of these books, see if anyone you know has them that you can borrow.

Also, go to a local bookstore and look at them. In my area, I've seen lots of Pro Tools books at Borders, Books-a-Million, and Barnes & Noble. You can sit in there and read through books before buying them, they even set up chairs so that you can do that.

When buying the book, consider whether you are buying it to learn about recording in general, or to learn about Pro Tools. A lot of these books do both. Some might be more geared towards one or the other.

If I'd suggest one book for you, it'd be "Producing in the Home Studio with Pro Tools." It's published by Berklee press.

Don't forget about the Pro Tools manual! IOt's damn good for learning Pro Tools.

Check out some online help sites to jump-start your learning.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Before enrolling in an online course, or maybe even buying some of these books, see if anyone you know has them that you can borrow.

Also, go to a local bookstore and look at them. In my area, I've seen lots of Pro Tools books at Borders, Books-a-Million, and Barnes & Noble. You can sit in there and read through books before buying them, they even set up chairs so that you can do that.

When buying the book, consider whether you are buying it to learn about recording in general, or to learn about Pro Tools. A lot of these books do both. Some might be more geared towards one or the other.

If I'd suggest one book for you, it'd be "Producing in the Home Studio with Pro Tools." It's published by Berklee press.

Don't forget about the Pro Tools manual! IOt's damn good for learning Pro Tools.

Check out some online help sites to jump-start your learning.
Hi pal,

Unfortunatly, here in Spain we still live in neolithic in some aspects, and this aspect is one of them

I´ve had to buy the books to amazon france (the books are more expensive than in amazon usa, but s&h is quite cheaper) because here it´s imposible (neither in spanish libraries nor spanish internet libraries) to find any. I was almost decided to buy the book you said, but I think that 2 books for begining is enough. Anyway, I´ll keep buying more, I like that way of learning. And maybe I´ll enroll not the next course after the september one (I´m a bit out of money right now).

Thanks for everything pals.

Jorge Navas Alejo
[email protected]
www.metalcry.com
www.thecrimsonidol.com
Old 08-25-2004, 06:58 AM

Where can I find the Visual Quick Start Book?

Thanks,
www.readyacoustics.com