Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2002, 01:15 AM

Default New Mac user Questions

OK' #1 I installed ptle on my mac g4 like the book suggested and set some confiqures like the book said but my disk Cashe was at 8016 I think but the book said to make it 512K is this necessary--because I got a note saying the system might not run as well if I change the number.

#2 I dont have a PTLE icon like I had on my pc I have to open it some other place---is this correct?
#3 I installed all of the audiosuite plugs and other plugs---its says I have only 15 days for all of them---I thought d-verb and maxium were free---I have a authorization Number from digi for the dverb but no disc--I have the original disc that I used for windows authorize--maybe that will work-- but I dont have a disc drive on my mac---thats why digi gave me the number --however it only asksfor the disc---so' what about the others lo-fi, sci-fi , etc and maxium will they still run after the 15 days?

#4 when I open a new session and make a new audio track, it only shows that I have inputs analoque 1 and 2 stereo--thats it, I cant pick 2 mono,3,4,5,6,7,8,etc I have a ai3 hooked up and on the pc it showed 1 thru 16 whats wrong with me I thought this was going to be easy---I guess the next hurdle us update 5.1.1 and 32 beta.

thanks
stix

also how do i turn off the talk stuff---I keep getting that window about midi not working well if talk is left on
Old 07-25-2002, 01:49 AM

Default Re: New Mac user Questions

Hey there. Looks like we're in the same boat here. Except, I'm a little further down the river than you. I bought a beefed up Mac G4 for this program specifically. And boy is it working like a charm. I also have the AI-3 hooked up for all those extra ins and out. (Which is so sweet [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

1. I'm not sure on that one. Our Macs could handle it, right? I mean, it actually took time to let that window go that far down!!

2. Well, yes and no. The whole way Mac is layed out is very different. You still have the "file in folder" concept workng for you. But it's a little different. Open up the folder it's installed in and hold down the command key (like a right-click on PC) and say 'make alias'. An alias is exactly like a shortcut. Then just drag it onto the desktop, rename it if you want, and you're set.

3. YES! So I'm not the only genious here! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] I followed those instructions word for word and did the exact same thing. All those extra plug-ing are only demos. Each time you load ProTools LE on your mac for the first time each day, it will ask you to insert a liscense card. cancel it. the other thing is a window coming up telling you to "try it!". Don't unless you could 'try it' 10 (or 15) times to get rid of it. Or you could just uninstall it, which I'm still trying to figure out. How do you do this on a mac?!

4. Hmm. That's odd. I'm assuming it's not recognizing that device. You have to open protools, go to setups at the top, and i thing its 'hardware setups' or ;devices' or something. its at the top, i know that [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . Make the settings meeded for optical (assuming you hooked those up!) and restart protools. that should do it! I use the AI-3 as well. And let me tell you, it is a great piece of equipment. All the luxuries of an ADAT with out the ADAT!!

Sound good? Have fun!
Old 07-25-2002, 01:58 AM

Dverb is supposed to be free--but what about maxium--its supposed to be free also right--
thanks]stix
Old 07-25-2002, 02:03 AM

Actually yeah. If you followed the directions correctly you've done a good thing and a bad thing.

The good thing is that you now have everything you're asking me about right now. (Even thing that are only trials, not including Maxim or D-Verb, those are complete) I bought the Factory version of the 001. It comes with Maxim and D-Verb. The standard version of the 001 does not.

The bad thing is that the guy who wrote the set-up part of the manual did a crappy job and messed us up with that deal with al the trail software. Ugh.
Old 07-25-2002, 02:05 AM
Administrator

http://www.digidesign.com/compato/digiswle.html
lists both optional and included plug-ins for LE systems. There's a link there (as well as in the Downloads section) to download the D-Verb update for 5.1 and higher LE owners that does not require authorization.

Most optional Digi plug-ins that you want to try work as fully functional 15 day demos.

To uninstall expired demo plug-ins, check the Answerbase -> FAQ -> Authorization section.
Old 07-25-2002, 02:16 AM

Hi Stix ,
firstly , welcome to the infinitely superior wrld of MACs ,,, [ i sell and support protools systems --( And all the other brands/products) for both PC and Mac so i get to see the differences first hand Secondly , my first suggestion to you { especiallly if you are new to the world of Macs } is to go to your local bookstore and buy yourself a copy of David pogue's MAC OS 9 " The Missing Manual " i promise you, you won't regret it !!!
as to your questions ... 1/ setting your DiscCache at 1024 will suit PT ALOT better than the default _ remember the default setting is presuming your running wordprocessor / internet etc type software - not the very processor intensive - hard disc recording !!
2/ as to the PT icon ....There is a little differnce between PC + macs -- to bring up an Icon onto your Desktop simply open up your system drive .. the one with your software on it ,, and open up the Digidesign folder --inside there will be yur PT program ...all yo have to do is select its icon .. and then go up to the File menu [ top left ] and select " make Alias" ..you'll suddenly see an exact duplicate icon appear beside the original !! now all you have to do is drag it to whererver you want it on the desk top ...da Da .... if you want to be really clever .. go down to your System folder [ it onb the main drive too - and open it up ,,,, then find your "apple menu' folder --any "alias"icon you drag into there will then become available for you to select directly from the Apple menu { the little Apple icon at the top left of your desktop ) the next time you start your mac !!!
3/ as to your channel inputs { or lack ofthem } it sounds like you have accidenlty run the Audiomedia / Mbox installer just reinstall the software - just remeber to remove the one you've got there at the moment !!
4/ i presume your "talking" about Apple talk [ which is how MACs talk to a network - all yo need to do is open up your "apple menu' and select your "control panels' and then the "Appletalk" control panel and turn OFF appletalk .
Oh iforgot, as to your Digi plugins - its exactly the same situation as on your PC - the demo will run out after a couple of weeks - after they have .... just open up your "System folder / and then go to the DAE folder ...and then open up the " Plugins " folder and select all the demo plug-ins ,, and drag them into the trash>>
as to your DVerb Authorisation , i would immediatly remove the Dverb Demo plugin with the Above procedure and then the first time you run A PT session with DVerb you will be asked for the Authorisation Code - just tyoe it in and youll be finisheed -it will be authorised ...no floppy's / discs etc ---easy Huh !!
anyway , as I say to all my new Mac convertee's " you've been driving a Ford and now you've got a Porsche" !!!
make some rockin tunes .
Old 07-25-2002, 11:06 AM

What about masterlist cd is this a part of mac os or protools?
is it free or do I need to buy it.
Old 07-25-2002, 01:07 PM

Ok' is there a way to burn to cdr after I bounce my session within OS9.2 or do I need to get some software ---I there is a cdrw installed on my computer from the factory so is there software for that to burn my sessions nicely.
Old 07-25-2002, 02:03 PM

Hay welcome to the wild world of MAC's,,if you bought a brand new G4 then it will have "i-Tunes"on it,,you can use this to compile a play list then burn a cd,,if,for some reason,you dont have it,then you can down load it at the apple site,,dut becareful as there are now two versions,,one for os 9 and one for osx,,good luck
Old 07-26-2002, 12:29 AM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

Masterlist is a completely different app than PT. It's for mastering and, yes, you have to buy it...but it's becoming outdated, but still works. Watch for burner compatability issues though... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]