Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2011, 05:40 AM

Default 11 Foot Controller Expression Pedal Shootout

I've started 3 Idea Scale items to help us collect some data on how many expression pedals the community would like for an imaginary 11 Foot Controller.

Here's how it will work:

If you want 2 Expression Pedals to buy the controller, cast your vote here:

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...als/31036-3779

If you want 1 Expression Pedal to buy the controller, cast your vote here:

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...dal/31037-3779

If you don't need no stinkin' expression pedals, cast your vote here:

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...als/31038-3779

Each item has a provision for at least 1 external expression pedal input in the current 11R style. Let's just focus on the number of built in expression pedals we want for now.

No proposed rules for down voting the ones you don't like. If the debate gets heated enough, I'm sure people will down vote. Maybe if you want 2 expression pedals, but you'd live with only 1, you can up vote 2 expression pedals and refrain from down voting 1 expression pedal.

What say ye?
Old 04-08-2011, 07:18 AM

Think big. The Fractal MFC 101 already supports up to four expression pedals. Handy for playing with parameters when setting up a rig even if you don't want to play with four pedals live. Given the cost to implement support for an expression pedal is pretty low I don't see any reason to limit these to low numbers like 2.

And to be clear I think the last thing any foot controller should do is include actual expression pedals. Just provide TRS jacks and let people choose what they want.

This way of voting kind of exposes how cumbersome ideascale is.

Darryl
Old 04-08-2011, 08:02 AM

Default Re: 11 Foot Controller Expression Pedal Shootout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Think big. The Fractal MFC 101 already supports up to four expression pedals.
Keyword "BUILT IN" as in PHYSICAL PEDAL on the board.

My items do specify "at least one" external input. Hopefully that communicates "at least one - possibly more".

Trying to nail down "BUILT IN" i.e. physical pedals on the foot contoller.

Quote:
Given the cost to implement support for an expression pedal is pretty low I don't see any reason to limit these to low numbers like 2.
The cost to implement BUILT IN foot pedal may not be cheap.

Quote:
And to be clear I think the last thing any foot controller should do is include actual expression pedals. Just provide TRS jacks and let people choose what they want.
Great feedback. Vote for "Zero built in expression pedals" where that item says " will include _one or more_ external inputs".

Quote:
This way of voting kind of exposes how cumbersome ideascale is.
True. But it does generate a number at the end of the day. Prose written on a forum do not generate numbers.

I appreciate the feedback. Please don't take my responses as being confrontational, just trying to focus on the the topic of how many built in, physical expression pedals people want.

Hopefully I didn't mistake your intent. Perhaps you were just explaining the reason you voted one way vs another.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I actually disagree with that. Why shouldn't they include 2 expression pedals....especially if they would consider going thru the trouble of making a dedicated floor controller? They could include the 2 expression pedals, and still include the TRS jacks for 2 more pedals!

IMO

Old 04-08-2011, 08:07 AM

I'm in the other camp. I like expression pedals integrated... Fast and compact. (using an FC300 now.) I don't need more $ in my controller than my rack unit... YMMV

Texasdave
Old 04-08-2011, 10:18 AM

It depends on the construction... if they are like the BOSS FH-500V's like I have which have a large footprint and built like a tank and not all plastic then I am for integrated, otherwise I'd just prefer multiple jacks personally. It seems like all the pedal boards with integrated expression pedals just seem flimsy in comparison to what I like... I dunno they obviously work for everyone so what do I know...
Old 04-08-2011, 10:31 AM

Hopefully like the power switches, knobs, display, and faceplate, the built in expression pedals would be high quality.

Orange aluminum would be good. ;-)

Last edited by blewis; 04-08-2011 at 10:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-08-2011, 12:26 PM

Not trying to rain on the parade here, but there are already so many MIDI controllers out there, what are you guys looking for in a dedicated controller from Avid?

Personally I'd like to see the Eleven team better the 11r by enabling it to integrate with already existing controllers (GCP, Little Giant, etc), allowing for 2-way MIDI communication, tuner info, etc.

As for an integrated expression pedal in a MIDI controller, I'm generally against it. An external expression pedal is easier to take apart or replace if it goes bad, and allows for the user to pick the pedal of their choice, based on size/shape/build quality/price/etc. In my experience (Line 6 FB, HD500, Digital Control 2, Behr FCB) most integrated expression pedals have some sort of compromise between build quality and integration.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Avid

I like options, so I would be in the camp of 'have 2 built-in if they can be high quality without being prohibitively expensive, and allow for a max of six w/4 external jacks'.

My personal solution for all this is pretty far out, but it would also be killer...I wish I could talk about it.

Anyway, great discussion, and keep the votes coming!

There's a lot of excitement at Avid about Eleven Rack right now, and it's largely because of the ATG DUC. Your comments are being read by the bigwigs too!

P&S Creative Professional
AVID
Old 04-08-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefont View Post
I actually disagree with that. Why shouldn't they include 2 expression pedals....especially if they would consider going thru the trouble of making a dedicated floor controller? They could include the 2 expression pedals, and still include the TRS jacks for 2 more pedals!

IMO

i agree on that.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio