Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 09:01 AM

Default Streaming beeps for sound effect-How?

Posted this in Post section as well to find an answer:
I need to create the effect of the streaming beeps used in a film scoring or ADR session. Preferably Old School. I was thinking 1K sync pops spaced on beats at the supposed tempo of the cue? Or is this too modern, was some other method used in the "Old Days" (pre digital)?
So the question is if It would sound ok to use the 1K tone cut to single frames, how far apart and how many to sound like a stream before a cue?
Old 08-14-2007, 09:45 AM

Default Re: Streaming beeps for sound effect-How?

A streamer is a visual cue, while (countoff) beeps are an audible cue, so don't mix up the terms.

If you set the BARS:BEATS to match the tempo of your cue, it's pretty easy to paste in a 4 or 8 count using GRID values. The eighth beat of a count off is often muted. The traditional countoff pop is from a Urei metronome - samples are available online.

The usage of beeps for ADR and music scoring is different. For ADR, the beeps are at a set interval. For muisc, the beeps should match the tempo of the cue. For scoring, streamers travel at a speed realated to an upcoming tempo change in the music. Foley folks use them too, I think, probably at a set speed.

The ProTools add on ADR Studio can be used to streamline (no pun intened) the process.

If you make your own beep from a 1k tone, it's friendly to edit the waveform at zero crossings at the top and tail, to keep nasty little clicks out of the talent's ears.

BTW - Digital Performer has very stong punch and streamer generation tools, if you happen to have it.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Streaming beeps for sound effect-How?

What I do when setting up or scoring sessions, is record in a click (multi-mono instrument) on an aux insert. Then edit out two click beats (one soft, one loud for downbeats) and place it using grid on the appropriate beat pattern (1/8, 1/4) whatever. I definitely would strongly suggest using the MPC version of the click (found on the "factory default" section of the plugin screen). This is the best click I have found that will stay contained in the headphones of the people you are recording.

I don't really use streamers (and yes, they are very helpful and still used) since a lot of our film scores are beat oriented and often get placed with rhythm tracks, so clicks work quite well for me as a conductor/orchestrator, and there are no real visual cues I need to follow anymore... <sniff>.

EDIT:

Sorry just re-read your post... You want beeps for sound effects.... sorry.

The URei... find that sample. Most "pops" we use happen only on frame 2, so it's quiet, then "2-pop" then film starts.... Not used to a pop every 24 frames.... But I'm not that old-school either...