Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2009, 10:01 AM

Default Help w/Midi Notes Infintitely Sustaining

Hello everyone . . .

I searched the forum but found no thread where this problem was adequately rectified . . .

When I am recording midi, occasionally notes will stick and act as if the sustain pedal has been depressed. Some recorded midi tracks will demonstrate this behavior as well (short notes that play in infinite sustain). I am running a digi 002 mixer with Pro Tools 8. This is beginning to cripple my work flow . . . any suggestions?

Thanks,

Justin
Old 06-18-2009, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Help w/Midi Notes Infintitely Sustaining

MIDI is just "a note value" "velocity" and "on-off" somewhere your cutting off your pattern before the note has sent an "off" message. Or possibly quantizing or converting to half or whole notes before the end of a pattern. I've worked in better MIDI programs 20 years ago, (Texture) in which you could send a MIDI shut-off message. I'm sure it can be done in PT somehow. I think on the MIDI edit page you can drag the box of the note to a shorter value. If you want it to "overhang" into the next pattern, it ain't gonna happen. There's always "LIVE", this will really increase your workflow!
Old 06-18-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinTapp View Post
Hello everyone . . .

I searched the forum but found no thread where this problem was adequately rectified . . .

When I am recording midi, occasionally notes will stick and act as if the sustain pedal has been depressed. Some recorded midi tracks will demonstrate this behavior as well (short notes that play in infinite sustain). I am running a digi 002 mixer with Pro Tools 8. This is beginning to cripple my work flow . . . any suggestions?

Thanks,

Justin
You could also try 'Event' - 'All Midi Notes Off'
Old 05-08-2010, 08:54 AM

*BUMP*
Any solution?

I cant find any sustain events on my track. I've disconnected all of my midi controllers, and still cant play past 4 bars without the midi tracks sounding like garbage. I dont know if its sustain, but it seems that the midi notes will not turn off.

Geeked about the possibility of VI's and the Ease of using only 1 interface (PT) for all my production needs, I just purchased equipment and rewired my whole studio to switch from the MPC to ProTools. When It works, I love it. But I cant get past this sustain / No Notes off issue. Any Help???

I run PT8.0.3cs2 n on OSX 10.6.2, new Imac 3.06Ghz Dual Core, Digi003 Rack.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:26 PM

what are you using for a midi instrument? a plug-in or a real sound module, maybe a keyboard?

I am no midi expert, but I would check that sysex is working in your midi playback.