Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2006, 08:14 AM

Default Live sound

So who should I be blaming if I go to a gig and my ears ring for 3 days? (I know I know I should get earplugs) But STILL some big London venues should be ashamed of the quality of the sound - bass distoring, highs so blary your head nearly falls off. Sometimes it's obvious the fool at the front has the mixing desk too high (that's you Rodney P at Brixton), but sometimes it seems like someone sitting at the sound desk should be doing something.
Kokos of Camden - what was the Madlib/Peanut Butter Wolf sound all about? Kid Koala at Cargos? Ouch!I always stand as close to the venue mixing desk as possible so its not about location. Is it just better that loud??? Does distorted bass actually sound good? Is there no soundcheck? I'm genuinely intrigued.
I reckon 1 in 5 gigs I go to has good sound but that's a pretty crap ratio - especially since we aren't talking guitars/feedback but signals coming from CDs/records and going straight to the speakers... Am I the only one who thinks this isn't rocket science?
Old 10-30-2006, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Live sound

Quote:
Am I the only one who thinks this isn't rocket science?
Unfortunately, that is what many proprieters think so they hire any person willing to stand in front of the console, twiddle some knobs, have their ears fried, and beer spilled on them on a nightly basis. Every one of the owners of these fine establishments also will relate the axiom that "louder is better" I am amused at how many are under equipped and therefore ruin what they do have.

For all the idiots who demand ultra-volume in clubs, cars, studios, etc...all I can say is; Turn it up as much as and whenever possible!! Take a little less time to go deaf so I don't have to deal with your dumb @$$!!