Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 02-03-2022, 10:48 PM

Default Re: Carbon now comes with Ultimate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC111 View Post
It is, Kev. My post that started the thread made it clear that's what has me annoyed with AVID. I'll elaborate though...

I'm not currently an Ultimate user. I'd love to have it but the jumping in price is something I can't justify for myself. It had been many years since I've had any AVID hardware and that's because the company seemingly didn't want to be bothered with making hardware for the home studio market. They ignored us and let UA, Apogee, RME, and a dozen other companies take over that segment of the market. I don't know why they did that but I know that prior to Carbon, there wasn't even an AVID hardware option for me to consider.

At some point AVID decided that market was worth going after so along comes Carbon. It came with some plugins but to be honest, the price point of this unit isn't going to attract people new to recording. Folks buying a Carbon most likely already have a lot plugins. Included plugins are not a deciding factor in buying a Carbon. Additionally, they included a PT Vanilla license. I have to believe the majority of Carbon buyers were already PT users because of the $4K price tag. That's a lot of cash to spend committing to a daw you don't already know very well. So for those of us who already had a PT license, they gave us a one year extension. For me that's worth $200; for those who already had Ultimate, that's worth $600. There's a disparity there that could have been evened out by giving Vanilla users 3 years instead of 1, but AVID didn't do that.

Months later, I'm guessing sales weren't what AVID hoped they'd be so now they're upping the ante and including a perpetual Ultimate license. Granted, that's not a bonus for current Ultimate users but from my perspective I'm seeing people who buy the Carbon six weeks after I did getting a $2600 bonus that I'd have really liked to have gotten. I said I can't justify the initial $2600 jumping in cost but I could probably talk myself into the extra $400 per year to keep the license. But I won't get that chance because rather than grandfather us all into that deal, AVID chose an arbitrary start date and left us out. They're thanking the people who bought in July and it feels like a big "F off" to those of us who bought before July. I could understand if it was a giveaway of some additional hardware but it's software. Giving it to all of us would cost AVID nothing and would probably make them money in the long run. They'd almost certainly be getting more from me.
All existing owners of Carbon prior to the Ultimate Perpetual License promo were grand-fathered in and received a free Ultimate license. The only thing you didn't receive that a new owner got was an AutoTune Hybrid license. Now you have two separate licenses that can be used on two separate iLoks (or iLok Cloud) on two separate machines at the same time...you just can't sell or transfer the Ulitmate license to a different iLok account. Anyone who purchases a Carbon after Dec. 31, 2021, will not receive an Ultimate or AutoTune Hybrid license.

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - BIOS F21b
Intel Core I9 10850K Windows11 / macOS 12.7.4 Hackintosh / 32GB of Rams
Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC111 View Post
It is, Kev. My post that started the thread made it clear that's what has me annoyed with AVID. I'll elaborate though...
I admit I did not read the thread from the fist post . I had simply opened the thread to the current page and post(at that time) which was the one I quoted,, and why I asked
Quote:
I'm not currently an Ultimate user. I'd love to have it but the jumping in price is something I can't justify for myself. It had been many years since I've had any AVID hardware and that's because the company seemingly didn't want to be bothered with making hardware for the home studio market. They ignored us and let UA, Apogee, RME, and a dozen other companies take over that segment of the market. I don't know why they did that but I know that prior to Carbon, there wasn't even an AVID hardware option for me to consider.

At some point AVID decided that market was worth going after so along comes Carbon. It came with some plugins but to be honest, the price point of this unit isn't going to attract people new to recording. Folks buying a Carbon most likely already have a lot plugins. Included plugins are not a deciding factor in buying a Carbon. Additionally, they included a PT Vanilla license. I have to believe the majority of Carbon buyers were already PT users because of the $4K price tag. That's a lot of cash to spend committing to a daw you don't already know very well. So for those of us who already had a PT license, they gave us a one year extension. For me that's worth $200; for those who already had Ultimate, that's worth $600. There's a disparity there that could have been evened out by giving Vanilla users 3 years instead of 1, but AVID didn't do that.

Months later, I'm guessing sales weren't what AVID hoped they'd be so now they're upping the ante and including a perpetual Ultimate license. Granted, that's not a bonus for current Ultimate users but from my perspective I'm seeing people who buy the Carbon six weeks after I did getting a $2600 bonus that I'd have really liked to have gotten. I said I can't justify the initial $2600 jumping in cost but I could probably talk myself into the extra $400 per year to keep the license. But I won't get that chance because rather than grandfather us all into that deal, AVID chose an arbitrary start date and left us out. They're thanking the people who bought in July and it feels like a big "F off" to those of us who bought before July. I could understand if it was a giveaway of some additional hardware but it's software. Giving it to all of us would cost AVID nothing and would probably make them money in the long run. They'd almost certainly be getting more from me.
Well looks like Avid did come through with an Ultimate license for all Carbon buyers so hopefully your regret has abated BTW if like me , someone had a current PT Ultimate and support plan, the 1 Year extension is a $399 value (not $600)
Now I have to try to figure what to do with a second license

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 02-28-2022, 10:57 AM

Any upcoming promo ? planning to get a carbon soon, but I would be super cool if ultimate is included