Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2023, 08:11 AM

Default Re: Always having to force quit Pro Tools

Same issue here. Mac Studio / Monterey 12.6.3 / PT Studio 2022.12. I haven't nailed down a exact length of time, but definitely happens after Pro Tools has been running for longer sessions, not when I open Pro Tools for a short bit. Freeze / beachball on quit, even if I've already closed out the session before quitting.
Old 02-19-2023, 08:24 AM

Although I haven't had this exact freeze-on-quit problem since PT10, I do have a sign of instability that only shows up after PT running a long time. Often days. And that is; I go to a session that's been open for a long time in the background, and on hitting playback I immediately get an error saying: "Memory is running low. Please increase AAE memory." I quit and relaunch, and all is well. Activity monitor not giving a sign of anything wrong with PT memory.

This is with PT2020.12. Thought it was worth mentioning.
Old 02-19-2023, 08:28 AM

Same issue here. Mac Studio Max, PT 2022.12. Issue started with 2022.12.

75% of PT quits need to be forced quit. OK that's a made up number but that's what it feels like. Every time I quit, it's like, so will it actually quit or not?

Has nothing to do with sleeping anything, as my system never puts anything to sleep. Seems more like an issue with how Pro Tools relinquishes control of Audio Interfaces and whatever else PT is using from the system. Like it's failing to give back system peripherals and resources back to the OS, or something like that, during it's quit routine.
Old 02-19-2023, 09:38 AM

"Always having to force quit Pro Tools"
I had that back when I was running the MBP i5 and then i7 systems.
Seems pretty infrequent by comparison with the M1 mini.

Pro Tools is an old program and is just as fussy as it was back in the Digidesign days regarding what you plugged into it, drives, OS versions, third party add ins etc. That said, the (TDM & LE) Pro Tools 5 were some of the most robust version I have ever used. The most recent systems I run are getting back towards that stability. The power and flexibility in the new system I would never trade for the old days

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 02-19-2023, 11:01 AM

Same here. Still on Monterey. Anyone on Ventura having this issue? I haven't updated yet because Izotope and PA are behind and I use them a lot.
Old 02-19-2023, 11:02 AM

Same here but I’ve been complaining about this for so long it contributing to a thread seems pointless… Protools has created so many issues on top of other issues it’s hard to keep track… Might need a special counsel to investigate… After almost 20 years I jumped off Protools and now I’m letting my license sit with a reinstatement… when I finally see some real silicon Mac integration an improvement I’m just gonna have to wait it out,

Problem being is once they do that they create a whole new set of problems. I use other DAW‘s in while I don’t love them it always surprises me to see how finicky knife edge one has to go with Protools… And it’s not like it’s some hyper supersize software either.

I’m sure people will recommend taking all my plug-ins out… Been there done that too many times these plug-ins work fine and every other daw

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 02-19-2023, 12:13 PM

Shot in the dark, but this worked for me a couple of years ago. I stopped AVID Link from running in the background, and my forced quit issue was resolved.
Old 02-19-2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsureit View Post
Shot in the dark, but this worked for me a couple of years ago. I stopped AVID Link from running in the background, and my forced quit issue was resolved.
I have Avid Link uninstalled and it's still happening for me
Old 02-20-2023, 02:10 AM

This happens about 10% of the time in closing a session. Currently Mac Mini M1 16gb - Monterey 12.6.3 - Pro Tools 2022.10. It happened on earlier versions of PT as well though.

This is a minor inconvenience that happens on my other system too, which is a PT9HD system. The problem with the old OS10.8 is that it required a machine restart.
Old 02-20-2023, 10:16 AM

Are you running any CPU hungry apps in the background, such as a RAID/NAS backup program?