Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 03-12-2023, 07:15 PM

Default Setting up new system and having peculiar issues

Back in the audio universe after stepping away for some years.

Setting up a new system using my cheese-grater that ended on PT 2019.6 perpetual.

The system is using RME HDPS AES cards, one Mytek 8x192, one Brooklyn DAC. I set up an aggregate in the audio-midi with the Brooklyn and the HDSPe AES card.

The first peculiar thing I see is in the I/O routing matrix. Both input and output are giving me odd numbers of options. I am unclear what causes this and how to fix it.

The second thing is I am unable to get hardware I/O to work. I have rung out the routing in the I/O and I believe I have it down to something funky with the I/O setup must be causing the hangup.

The pictures show the current I/O setup (Input, Output, Bus, Insert), and, one pic of a routing test in an edit window.

The routing as I have it in the I/O gets all in I/O to jive in the analog domain. I am monitoring on the Brooklyn DAC so thats easy to tell, and the 8x192 has meters for the 8 channels and can toggle between DAC and ADC. (The 8x192 has the ADC source set to analog as it should be.)

When I set a stereo track to output to the Brooklyn DAC - all good. When I insert any of the stereo pairs from the 8x192 - silence. When I create a stereo track and set the input of this new track to the insert on the audio file I have audio (I included a picture to help illustrate this). I know PT is persnickety with how the routing is setup. Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

Thanks & very best...
Josh
Old 03-12-2023, 08:15 PM

Default Re: Setting up new system and having peculiar issues

I do not understand why you are trying to use crappy aggregate I/O.

You have a wonderful RME interface card, wire that to both boxes (RME provides clear instructions on how to wire their AES/EBU to S/PDIF for devices that need S/PDIF). You have 32 x 32 IO on those RME HDSP (HDSPe?) two card pairs.

As for I/O mapping... you just sort that out yourself. AES/EBU carries no information about I/O ports. Just work out what you have connected to what AES/EBU I/O on the RME HDSP (HDSPe?) cards and name the Setup>IO>* to match.

And you are likely borking yourself with H/W inserts. Get basic stuff working first. But the reason this won't work with what you have done is your aggregate pushes the I/O pairs out of alignment, and since Pro Tools wants matched I/O port numbers for H/W inserts you not would have to use say inputs 2&3 on the 192 with outputs 1&2 on the 192 for a stereo H/W insert. When you set this up properly on the RME HDSP card with no aggregate just do not let the Brooklyn "push" the 192 out of alignment with the RME AES/EBU port numbers.
Old 03-12-2023, 08:59 PM

Thanks Darryl.

The aggregate setup is not here to stay. I have more converters and cabling coming that will facilitate a final push on this. The aggregate is because I bought an 8x192 and wanted to test it out and figured I should be able to use it via hardware inserts - which was an hours long exercise trying to make sure I was not losing my mind. Brooklyn DAC was already setup via USB.

Your comment is very helpful, really, thank you. Will wait til I get the rest of the stuff.

Hah....borking...
Old 03-12-2023, 09:00 PM

Can you tell me why I was getting odd numbers of I/O options in the I/O matrix? Does not make sense to me.
Old 03-12-2023, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkess View Post
Can you tell me why I was getting odd numbers of I/O options in the I/O matrix? Does not make sense to me.
I have no idea what the Brooklyn presents presents to CoreAudio, or what is going on here. it's unlikely to have any driver/software bugs, so what ports show up in audio-MIDI setup aggregate should be visible to Pro Tools. If stuff acts wonky like this it's time to trash prefs, reboot, delete all paths in Setup>IO and start over.

But just don't waste time on this stuff, start doing it properly using the RME card to connect to both devices and stop trying to use aggregate I/O.
Old 03-12-2023, 11:09 PM

There’s a bug in Pro Tools with aggregate devices where the IO input and output numbering will be offset from actual numbers shown in the AudioMidi setup window of the Mac OS.
Old 03-20-2023, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekCamacho View Post
Is it resolved?
No, and its likely not to ever be, which is why Darryl's advice is best followed. Beyond that, what "Hardware" are you dying to use as inserts? I ask because of 2 reasons. 1-just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD(don't waste effort for using cheapo hardware when plugins will do the same or better). And; staying ITB(In The Box) avoids lots of issues. Now I love good hardware as much as anyone, and I use plenty, BUT, I use it on the way in and keep the mix ITB.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave