Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2022, 10:05 PM

Default Re: The Ultimate Pairing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I'm thinking about getting Carbon, but I already have an Ultimate license. Can I sell the one that comes with Carbon, or is it tied to the hardware somehow?
No you can’t sell the Carbon license but you can sell the other one you have and keep the Perp Carbon License.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-27-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCorbin View Post
The parachute will continue to work in it's parachuty way.

M
Which is :

Ultimate or studio perpetual parachute owners can at any time reinstate their support for 1 year.

Which is great by the way, it would be awesome if we could do it via Avid itself and not a reseller.

At present moment it seems I can reinstate support for both Studio and Ultimate from my account.

Is it Possible despite Avid CS told me I could only renew through a reseller for Studio, and via Avid Account for Ultimate?

Thanks!
A
Ferrofish 16 I/O

www.albertolombardi.com

facebook - instagram - youtube
Old 05-30-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Kevin's got the gist...

Pro Tools | Carbon no longer comes with a license that will switch states between Subscription and Perpetual (parachute).

It is a Pro Tools Ultimate Perpetual license, end stop.

Many of you may have ended up with the original parachute license as well as a later deposited Ultimate Perp license. You may keep both active with the appropriate renewals.support contracts, or let them lapse.

m
Can you explain why the Protools Studio for Carbon renewal is $299 (in the Avid Store) and the "regular" Protools Studio renewal is $199 !? If I renew my expired Carbon Protools Studio, now for $299 can I just keep it up to date with the $199 version from here on as long as it doesn't lapse?
Old 05-30-2023, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
Can you explain why the Protools Studio for Carbon renewal is $299 (in the Avid Store) and the "regular" Protools Studio renewal is $199 !?
Likely because you let it expire past the ~30 day grace period so it's no longer a simple renewal, it's also intended to catch up the versions if behind. And Avid's way of pushing you to pay the annual fee.

[/QUOTE]
If I renew my expired Carbon Protools Studio, now for $299 can I just keep it up to date with the $199 version from here on as long as it doesn't lapse?[/QUOTE]

Yes. As long as you don't let it expire and keep renewing it in time. Just like any other perpetual license version of Pro Tools.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Likely because you let it expire past the ~30 day grace period so it's no longer a simple renewal, it's also intended to catch up the versions if behind. And Avid's way of pushing you to pay the annual fee.

Yes. As long as you don't let it expire and keep renewing it in time. Just like any other perpetual license version of Pro Tools.
I would like to get confirmation on this. Would hate pay the $299 now and then again a year from now when it expires. The reason why I am suspicious about this is because the Up to Date renewal for Protools Studio is $349 not $299!
Sounds to me that they just created a separate tier for Carbon Users only.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:33 AM
Avid

Here's the confirmation... sorry it took a minute.

Yes, Carbon will work with Pro Tools Studio or Ultimate as a Subscription, Perpetual license, or the old Parachute.

https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/comparison-extended

You can look under the hardware section.

The price difference was set before my time, but should reflect that the Carbon PT renewal is at it's core a Perpetual license while the Studio subscription is just that.

Hope this helps!

m
Professional Audio Systems

For immediate assistance:
Pro Tools & Eucon Surfaces - +1 888-456-3444
Venue Support - +1 978-275-2557

Find out how to create, manage, and edit cases online now HERE
It's fast, easy, and effective!
Old 06-01-2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Here's the confirmation... sorry it took a minute.

Yes, Carbon will work with Pro Tools Studio or Ultimate as a Subscription, Perpetual license, or the old Parachute.

https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/comparison-extended

You can look under the hardware section.

The price difference was set before my time, but should reflect that the Carbon PT renewal is at it's core a Perpetual license while the Studio subscription is just that.

Hope this helps!

m
Thanks for chiming in Mark. I wish this could just be simpler.
This is what I can find on this:
Carbon Protools Studio Up to date (through my account on Avid) $299
ProtoolsStudio Perpetual Up to date (Sweetwater) $349
ProtoolsStudio perpetual 1 year renewal (Sweetwater) $199

So my question is if I get the $299 up to date from Avid will it be $199 next year if I don't let it lapse!?
Old 06-02-2023, 07:14 AM
Avid

"So my question is if I get the $299 up to date from Avid will it be $199 next year if I don't let it lapse!?"

Renewal of the PT Studio Carbon license will always be 299, regardless if it lapses or not. I am looking at a Carbon in my account that lapsed in Nov of '21, and the price to renew the license is still 299.

This is the same price as a PT Studio Subscription.

The other two offerings you listed below from SW are Studio Perpetual offerings and technically is not sold by Avid anymore, although resellers often still have them in stock. These would not be applicable to the Carbon license.

m
Professional Audio Systems

For immediate assistance:
Pro Tools & Eucon Surfaces - +1 888-456-3444
Venue Support - +1 978-275-2557

Find out how to create, manage, and edit cases online now HERE
It's fast, easy, and effective!
Old 06-02-2023, 09:08 AM

Quote:
"So my question is if I get the $299 up to date from Avid will it be $199 next year if I don't let it lapse!?"

Renewal of the PT Studio Carbon license will always be 299, regardless if it lapses or not. I am looking at a Carbon in my account that lapsed in Nov of '21, and the price to renew the license is still 299.

This is the same price as a PT Studio Subscription.

The other two offerings you listed below from SW are Studio Perpetual offerings and technically is not sold by Avid anymore, although resellers often still have them in stock. These would not be applicable to the Carbon license.

m
Thanks for the explanation. You have to admit that this is confusing to most people, and any retailer I have spoken to was convinced that I just have a Studio license and would have to get the $349 up-to-date plan. None of them knew what a Carbon Studio license was.

Also are you saying that you can no longer keep a Protools Studio perpetual license up to date for $199!?
I have been keeping my Ultimate License up to date for $399/year, will that also disappear in favor of the Subscription plan?
Old 06-05-2023, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
I have been keeping my Ultimate License up to date for $399/year, will that also disappear in favor of the Subscription plan?
The way I'm reading it:

Pro Tools Studio without Carbon Perpetual = $199

Pro Tools Studio with Carbon Perpetual = $299

Pro Tools Ultimate Perpetual = $399

Pro Tools Ultimate Perpetual is not going away