Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 03-21-2023, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Very slow to activate/deactivate DSP

I see very long waits sometimes when duplicating a track or switching in our out of green DSP mode.
Old 03-22-2023, 06:27 AM

This is definitely plug-in dependent. The best plugs will allow multiple channels to come in and out in 1-2 seconds. The worst will be 5-8 minutes for just one bad plug across each of 8 channels.
Old 05-22-2023, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
This is definitely plug-in dependent. The best plugs will allow multiple channels to come in and out in 1-2 seconds. The worst will be 5-8 minutes for just one bad plug across each of 8 channels.
So Dave Derr reached out to me on Gearspace about this issue. He wants me to do some testing and see where the problem is. I still think its a plug-in specific problem as apposed to a Carbon specific problem. Avid, Sknote and McDSP seem to work fine. I'll keep you all updated
Old 05-22-2023, 02:10 PM

I've replied to Dave too, but without a Carbon they're going to struggle to find this. I mean, with a Carbon it's a 5 minute job to reveal the problem. Without one, I have no idea what they will do.........

Dominic
Old 05-27-2023, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
I've replied to Dave too, but without a Carbon they're going to struggle to find this. I mean, with a Carbon it's a 5 minute job to reveal the problem. Without one, I have no idea what they will do.........

Dominic
Just got an email back from Dave and it looks like they reached out to Avid for help. They should have a new beta up in a couple of days for us to put through its paces.
Old 05-30-2023, 11:10 AM

Latest beta fixes it. 16 mono Arouser's switching from Native to DSP in under 5sec!! Amazing. This took over 10 min before the latest beta
Old 05-30-2023, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
Latest beta fixes it. 16 mono Arouser's switching from Native to DSP in under 5sec!! Amazing. This took over 10 min before the latest beta
EDIT: Dave emailed me this morning, so I was being impatient with my comment below. Arouser LT also works well now.

Well, I'm disappointed that I got no communication from Dave or Empirical Labs, but very pleased this works so well. Super quick switching. Thanks for your update.

I hope Avid can pass this secret on to Brainworx, assuming they ever get round to doing AS Native AAX-DSP updates.

Dominic

Last edited by dominicperry; 05-31-2023 at 01:37 AM.
Old 07-28-2023, 11:39 AM

Just had a back and forth with Sonnox. I reported the same issue with all their AAX-DSP plugins. They got back to me and have talked to Avid, Avid is redoing the AAX-DSP Framework so Sonnox will wait for that to happen.
Old 08-21-2023, 11:49 AM

Even though I've upgraded my computer to the latest Mac Studio I still seem to have nonstop hanging issues with the "beach ball" whenever I use DSP with my Carbon. Mostly I use DSP mode for tracking drums and lately when I try to import my tracking template tracks which are in DSP mode the session just hangs indefinitely. It feels like DSP is just a broken format. I saw on here someone mention that Avid is redoing the DSP format? Is this perhaps why? I'm almost ready to give up on it and just do everything in native mode.
Old 08-23-2023, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymixer View Post
Even though I've upgraded my computer to the latest Mac Studio I still seem to have nonstop hanging issues with the "beach ball" whenever I use DSP with my Carbon. Mostly I use DSP mode for tracking drums and lately when I try to import my tracking template tracks which are in DSP mode the session just hangs indefinitely. It feels like DSP is just a broken format. I saw on here someone mention that Avid is redoing the DSP format? Is this perhaps why? I'm almost ready to give up on it and just do everything in native mode.
It’s a specific Carbon only bug and doesn’t happen on HDX systems running the hybrid engine. That being said it all depends on the plug-ins being used. Certain developers have no problem with it or have been able to fix it after reaching out to Avid developers. The ones that have no problems for me on my Carbon are:
McDSP,Avid,EmpericalLabs,Massenburg.
As per my post above I talked to Sonnox and they acknowledged the problem.
But have not yet fixed it, Plug-in Alliance only recently released updates but I had no time looking at those yet. They did not work properly in Intel/Rosetta mode.