Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-19-2021, 09:16 PM

Default Has anyone tried Pro Tools 2021.7 on the Monterey Betas?

Just curious if anyone has successfully booted Pro Tools on macOS 12? I’ve got a new M1 Pro MBP coming in next week and would like to see if Pro Tools will run on it.

It’s more of a curiosity. I have a 2010 5,1 MacPro that is my workhorse PT machine. The laptop is for general office type tasks but I’d eventually like to get a portable PT setup going on it.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Has anyone tried Pro Tools 2021.7 on the Monterey Betas?

Mine's coming in the first week of November.
Hopefully, someone can chime in.
16 Core
96 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.4
Somehow, musicians are now technicians!
Old 10-20-2021, 10:33 AM

Intel not M1, so it might be different on latest MBPs, but FWIW, here’s my experience running PT on Monterey beta on a completely unsupported setup:

- Monterey beta
- Mac Pro 5.1
- Thunderbolt

Theoretically this shouldn’t work, but it does with surprisingly good results… the only thing that “broke” after upgrading from Big Sur to Monterey were few plugins that crashed PT when starting (e.g. few IKM inc. Amplitube) - once I moved those to the “Unused” folder PT works perfectly well…

Hope this helps…
Old 10-20-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samtrino View Post
Intel not M1, so it might be different on latest MBPs, but FWIW, here’s my experience running PT on Monterey beta on a completely unsupported setup:

- Monterey beta
- Mac Pro 5.1
- Thunderbolt

Theoretically this shouldn’t work, but it does with surprisingly good results… the only thing that “broke” after upgrading from Big Sur to Monterey were few plugins that crashed PT when starting (e.g. few IKM inc. Amplitube) - once I moved those to the “Unused” folder PT works perfectly well…

Hope this helps…
Thanks, good to know it's not a complete fail as Catalina was at first.

I wish I had a spare PCIe slot in my 5,1 to run a Thunderbolt card. I assume you're using OpenCore and a Mac Flashed TB card?
Old 10-20-2021, 11:19 AM

Yep, OC with flashed Titan Ridge, and SurPlus for hassle-free Monterey support!

It’s unbelievable how much value we can still get out of those “obsolete” MP5.1s, but the writing is on the wall, so I am planning on getting a new MBP 16” and then repurpose the MP5.1 as a fully capable VEP / sample library server (128 GB RAM and fully loaded with internal SSDs + 10GbE intf)…
Old 10-20-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samtrino View Post
Yep, OC with flashed Titan Ridge, and SurPlus for hassle-free Monterey support!

It’s unbelievable how much value we can still get out of those “obsolete” MP5.1s, but the writing is on the wall, so I am planning on getting a new MBP 16” and then repurpose the MP5.1 as a fully capable VEP / sample library server (128 GB RAM and fully loaded with internal SSDs + 10GbE intf)…
Yeah, I was already running Catalina with OC on my 5,1. I held off on Big Sur until the SurPlus fix came out, now running 11.6 with no issues at all.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
I have a 2010 5,1 MacPro that is my workhorse PT machine. The laptop is for general office type tasks but I’d eventually like to get a portable PT setup going on it.
Are you tied to PCIE slots or large amounts of RAM?

You’re going to find that your new laptop will run rings around that MP. Relegating it to office duties is criminal! HAHAHA

It’s funny though. So many people still getting a lot of mileage out of the old MP towers. I jumped on one a few weeks back to help a colleague with some RX work and was just gob smacked by how slow renders were on that machine compared to my 6 core Intel Mini. Like really slow in comparison.

I guess if you’re just running mix sessions with DSP or need the RAM and slots, then yeah, you can still squeeze some mileage out of them. But comparing them to a machine with modern architecture and they really do feel sluggish. Can only imagine what it will be like with these new M1 Pro/Max laptops.

My jaw dropped at how fast the M1 MBA I bought my partner is. I wanted to put PT on there for *****s and giggles but never got round to it. Probably a good thing as I’d likely want to get another one. =P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2021, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Are you tied to PCIE slots or large amounts of RAM?

You’re going to find that your new laptop will run rings around that MP. Relegating it to office duties is criminal! HAHAHA

It’s funny though. So many people still getting a lot of mileage out of the old MP towers. I jumped on one a few weeks back to help a colleague with some RX work and was just gob smacked by how slow renders were on that machine compared to my 6 core Intel Mini. Like really slow in comparison.

I guess if you’re just running mix sessions with DSP or need the RAM and slots, then yeah, you can still squeeze some mileage out of them. But comparing them to a machine with modern architecture and they really do feel sluggish. Can only imagine what it will be like with these new M1 Pro/Max laptops.

My jaw dropped at how fast the M1 MBA I bought my partner is. I wanted to put PT on there for *****s and giggles but never got round to it. Probably a good thing as I’d likely want to get another one. =P

The 5,1 is a dedicated Pro Tools machine; 48GB Ram with an HDX and a UAD PCI cards in it. It also has an M.2 NVMe SSD startup drive, Radeon RX580 GPU, Bluetooth 4 and 802.11ac WIFI (which is usually off since it's wired to Ethernet). This is my home machine and it is in no way sluggish running Pro Tools. I routinely switch back and forth with the three machines at the NYC studio (2019 McaPro, 2013 Trash can pro and an iMac Pro). This is no discernible difference in Pro Tools performance on the 2010 and the 2019 Mac Pro and iMac Pro. The 2010 Mac Pro is noticeably faster than the 2013 Trash Can, mostly in graphics redraw performance and boot up time. Now if you are doing things in FCP, yeah, huge difference with the 2019 Mac Pro being a beast.

Now that its running Big Sur smoothly, I figure it's got another two years of life as my main Pro Tools machine.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:21 PM

No, I didn’t mean sluggish in Pro Tools. I meant if you were to process a file in say RX or use Audiosuite or offline bounce. You really notice the extra time it takes compared to a modern Intel machine.

Even one of my old MacBook Pro from 2013 still runs PT 2019 fine. But if I start doing an Audiosuite process… well it just chugs in comparison to my studio machine which is 2 years old.

But getting back to the M1 Pro/Max machines just released… I think they will perform exceptionally well. On paper, these things are unreal. Still think they took a step back in terms of design. Also feel like they should have left the HDMI off and kept the fourth TB4 port. Way more flexible.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
No, I didn’t mean sluggish in Pro Tools. I meant if you were to process a file in say RX or use Audiosuite or offline bounce. You really notice the extra time it takes compared to a modern Intel machine.

Even one of my old MacBook Pro from 2013 still runs PT 2019 fine. But if I start doing an Audiosuite process… well it just chugs in comparison to my studio machine which is 2 years old.

But getting back to the M1 Pro/Max machines just released… I think they will perform exceptionally well. On paper, these things are unreal. Still think they took a step back in terms of design. Also feel like they should have left the HDMI off and kept the fourth TB4 port. Way more flexible.

Agreed, I’m not sure who needs an HDMI 2.0 port rather than another TB 4 port. And the SD card slot but I’m not a photographer. I do like the MagSafe being back. I have hated the USBC power from a trip over point of view - yeah, I’m that guy. LOL. The new ones do “look” chunkier but the 14” is actually .01cm thinner than the outgoing 13” MBP. It’s just an illusion from the boxier form factor.

The M1 processors are certainly the future. The old 5,1 can vary greatly on CPU, graphic and disk performance depending on how you have them upgraded/configured. Actually on GeekBench scores the only machines that beat my souped up 5,1 are 2019 Mac Pro’s, 2019/20 iMac i9 Retinas, iMac Pro’s (discontinued ) and ANYTHING with an M1. All the Intel laptops and even 2013 Trash Cans are slower.