Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2010, 08:28 AM

Exclamation Digi 002 Control Surface Not recognized on win7, XP PT 8, 7.3 8.0.1 etc HELPPP!!!!

Alright, well I am getting sick of reading everyone elses problems that are similar to mine and everyone saying oh no its the old power harness problem... well it isn't

So i just bought this 002 control surface off ebay, the seller confirms it is fully functional. I booted it up, and it was working fine in standby, and everything work vegas test etc, and worked fine in standalone mode.

BUT, when installing pro tools, it seemed fine, but it asked me for the digidesign hardware that was obviously connected. So i got the special windows 7 beta drivers and installed them, erasing th eold ones, and, i checked the device manager, NOTHING said anything to do with Digi 002 rack in sound devices at all...nothing had even installed.

I changed my firewire port to legacy mode, and tried about 3 or 4 different drivers, some which blue screened when i tried to install them. I reinstalled windows 7 64 and 32 bit, installed xp, all is the same problem.

Ive tried installing with the 002 connected, or not, doesn't seem to make a difference. The green link light is on at the back, cannot really think of a genuine problem. Ive also tried it with 2 separate computers with the same outcome.

It has never appeared as found new hardware or anything like that when plugging it in, yet seems to be functional in every way but firewire. I spoke to a support rep for about half an hour going through all my gear, and he said that AMDs were picky with drivers and what not, and can sometimes just not work. Unless im unlucky and built 2 computers that both dont like it, i highly doubt it. it has never shown any signs of communication to the computer, except for the link light comes on when i plug the firewire in.

I have probably left out some things in here that i cant remember that i have tried as ive been working on it for 2 solid days. I took the cover off and dusted everything around the power harness etc.

Really stuck and cannot seem to justify its inactivity. The rep said he thought it would have to be a firewire problem or incompatibility, this was before i had tried it on the second computer, with win7 32bit and the exact same things are happening.

If anyone has had this problem please let me know and if you have ANY ideas i will try practically anything, soon i will have to take it to my local store and probably fork out half its price to get some little firewire port replaced, and then find that wasn't even the problem, so thought i better check with you guys first.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Digi 002 Control Surface Not recognized on win7, XP PT 8, 7.3 8.0.1 etc HELPPP!!!

Welcome loxrox33,

Start here and post a Sandra report on your computer.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-16-2010, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Digi 002 Control Surface Not recognized on win7, XP PT 8, 7.3 8.0.1 etc HELPPP!!!

It would also help if you could find someone local that uses a 002(rack or mixer) so you can verify that the unit is working(verify that the firewire ports are not burned out, and there are no power harness issues which plague most 002 units at some point). Also, note that the installation of software and drivers MUST be done EXACTLY as described in the Getting Started Guide(at least under XP). Simply plugging in the unit like adding an average USB device and popping in the disk and letting Windows do its thing, is not going to work.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-16-2010, 01:02 PM

Albee is right, if your 002 has ever been "hot swaped" there is a high risk of a burned out port. You seem certain that it's not the harness issue but to be honest, dusting it off is not enough. I would still like to see that Sandra report.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-16-2010, 07:53 PM

yep, i am doing it now it froze before, its taking a while, also can I ask, when you boot up protools (when a digi 002 is working), does it change from standby mode at all? like what happens?
Old 06-16-2010, 08:49 PM

ok ive been doing the sandra thing for a few hours now only 14%, and i found out it goes itno pro tools mode so no need to answer the last question. Aboit the power harness, the guy from digidesign said he didnt thinki t was power harness because it wasn't the same symptoms and he thought it would be an internal firewire problem with my computer, im hoping that theres nothing wrong with the firewire ports, because i know that will cost alot to fix.

The green link light comes on when i plug the firewire cable in, would it still do this if the whole port was burnt out?
Old 06-16-2010, 11:18 PM

the report is way too many charaters can i attach it to the post?
Old 06-17-2010, 02:31 AM

http://www.mediafire.com/?jijmnqeoj5y
theres what it did before it crashed
Old 06-17-2010, 07:42 AM

The Sandra report has a "button" at the bottom so you can copy the report>open Windows NotePad and paste. Then you can copy from the notepad file and paste into the DUC reply window. If your internet computer is NOT the one in question, use a thumb drive to transfer the notepad file.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-17-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxrox33 View Post
Alright, well I am getting sick of reading everyone elses problems that are similar to mine and everyone saying oh no its the old power harness problem... well it isn't

So i just bought this 002 control surface off ebay, the seller confirms it is fully functional. I booted it up, and it was working fine in standby, and everything work vegas test etc, and worked fine in standalone mode.

BUT, when installing pro tools, it seemed fine, but it asked me for the digidesign hardware that was obviously connected. So i got the special windows 7 beta drivers and installed them, erasing th eold ones, and, i checked the device manager, NOTHING said anything to do with Digi 002 rack in sound devices at all...nothing had even installed.

I changed my firewire port to legacy mode, and tried about 3 or 4 different drivers, some which blue screened when i tried to install them. I reinstalled windows 7 64 and 32 bit, installed xp, all is the same problem.

Ive tried installing with the 002 connected, or not, doesn't seem to make a difference. The green link light is on at the back, cannot really think of a genuine problem. Ive also tried it with 2 separate computers with the same outcome.

It has never appeared as found new hardware or anything like that when plugging it in, yet seems to be functional in every way but firewire. I spoke to a support rep for about half an hour going through all my gear, and he said that AMDs were picky with drivers and what not, and can sometimes just not work. Unless im unlucky and built 2 computers that both dont like it, i highly doubt it. it has never shown any signs of communication to the computer, except for the link light comes on when i plug the firewire in.

I have probably left out some things in here that i cant remember that i have tried as ive been working on it for 2 solid days. I took the cover off and dusted everything around the power harness etc.

Really stuck and cannot seem to justify its inactivity. The rep said he thought it would have to be a firewire problem or incompatibility, this was before i had tried it on the second computer, with win7 32bit and the exact same things are happening.

If anyone has had this problem please let me know and if you have ANY ideas i will try practically anything, soon i will have to take it to my local store and probably fork out half its price to get some little firewire port replaced, and then find that wasn't even the problem, so thought i better check with you guys first.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
also happened to me.
it's a plate cable inside, which oxidizes.