Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2012, 05:45 AM

Thumbs up Is it ok to unplug my Mbox 2 when the S/PDIF LED light is flashing

Hello There

I have a Mbox 2 with Pro Tools 8.0.5 and I am using a Focusrite ISA One Digital Preamp plugged into to the S/PDIF input of my Mbox 2.
While I was recording some vocals using the S/PDIF digital input via a Focusrite ISA One digital preamp, I forgot to select the clock to S/PDIF in the Pro Tools Hardware window. But it seemed to record ok. I thought that it would not record at all if the clock was not set to S/PDIF in the Pro Tools Hardware window, while using the S/PDIF digital input.
Does it really matter if I don’t select the S/PDIF option in the Pro Tools Hardware window, for instance does it affect the quality of the recording.
Also I noticed that the S/PDIF green LED light indicator was flashing on and off when I had the S/PDIF option selected in the Pro Tools Hardware window but had no device connected to the Mbox2 S/PDIF input, or had my Focusrite Preamp still connected to the Mbox2 S/PDIF input but switched off.
Since I only record via the S/PDIF input, I thought it would be more convenient to leave the S/PDIF option in the Pro Tools Hardware window selected at all times.

My main concern is will this do any harm to the Mbox 2 or any other equipment.
Also I like to leave my computer on standby while not in use. In order to do this I must unplug the Mbox 2 from the USB socket first, because my computer will not switch to stand by while the Mbox 2 is still connected. Of course I click on the (Safely Remove Hardware) icon on the windows tool bar before doing this.
Is it safe to unplug the Mbox 2 from the
computer while the green S/PDIF LED light on the front of the Mbox 2 is flashing on and off.

Thank you for reading this thread.
Gary Gould