Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 09-06-2019, 04:45 AM

Default Re: .ptx file corruption-missing audio and video files- no way to relink-

This just happened to me AGAIN,

Mac OS 10.12.6
PT 2019.6 Ultimate

Started after a 'save as' (new file number and description).

Contacting support, will update here if anything happens...

Last edited by Farhoof; 09-06-2019 at 06:58 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:22 PM

Default Re: .ptx file corruption-missing audio and video files- no way to relink-

Sorry to hear this, I sent you an e-mail with the tracer from Avid. If you start a support ticket, hopefully it'll get them working on a fix. They took forever to get me the tracer.

When it happened this time, are you saying that a "save as" deviation is what became corrupted? I've gotten in the habit of saving and renaming .ptx files every hour or so manually. Then I .zip them in a separate folder. No idea if that will help or not, but it's the best thing I can try, along with the tracer from Avid. From my understanding, Dlogs aren't generated because a crash doesn't happen, but I could be wrong about that.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:39 AM

Thank you so much for the tracer! I don't know what I will see if it happens again but I've told everybody here to contact me when they see something weird.

Regarding the 'save as', the last working session was saved at 12:11 which is working fine (including the session backups), the next session is saved at 12:14 (save as, new number) which is corrupted, including the session backups. I am (wildly) guessing the corruption might started after a 'save as', but it could be a coincident.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:24 AM

This has happened to me twice now and both times it was not after a save as.

I have also installed the tracer (Thanks Mike!) and will report back if it occurs again.
Mac 2010 3.46 GHz 6 Core

Thanks,
Jeff Yellen
ridgelinesound.com
Old 01-06-2020, 06:45 PM

This happened to me again today after about 6 months. No warning, as per usual. This time, I had a crash and then it was the same, corrupt session file back ups, missing fade files, most clips gone from the most recent session.
Anyone have any updates? That tracer didn't do much good in this case, I had no warning. I think, now that I know, it crashes, maybe, just maybe I'll have enough time to save a .ptx file as a different name and .zip it up before it happens again.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:03 AM

It seems to me if there is a crash it is _because_ of the corruption, not the other way around. Otherwise the session backups would be ok. So we are always too late if it occurs.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:17 AM

I updated to 2019.6 from 2018.? and installed the tracer back in September of 2019 after 2 of these corruptions which happened about a month or more apart earlier last year. Since updating I have not had the issue again. I have no idea if the issue is resolved or simply a ticking time bomb. Scary times
Mac 2010 3.46 GHz 6 Core

Thanks,
Jeff Yellen
ridgelinesound.com
Old 01-07-2020, 11:46 AM

This other thread appears to point to the "Import session data" from different versions of PTs which is where it seemed to pop up for me.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=407911&page=2

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 01-07-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeReganNoise View Post
This happened to me again today after about 6 months. No warning, as per usual. This time, I had a crash and then it was the same, corrupt session file back ups, missing fade files, most clips gone from the most recent session.
Anyone have any updates? That tracer didn't do much good in this case, I had no warning. I think, now that I know, it crashes, maybe, just maybe I'll have enough time to save a .ptx file as a different name and .zip it up before it happens again.
Hi Mike - what version of PT are you on now? 19.12?
When you open that corrupt session, do you get in the Session Notes "Some clips have been adjusted or deleted" - and - if you open the Project Browser, do you see an extra folder called "Render Sources?"
Old 01-08-2020, 02:53 PM

Hi Danny,

Thanks for the response. When I open the corrupt session, initially I get a warning about thousands of missing fade files. I'm currently running 2019.10 and have had this issue using 2019.6 and an iteration of 2018 (I don't recall which). I have been on Sierra 10.12.6 and the facility I worked out of was on the same OS, though, this most recent occurrence happened after I spent the day working there on 2019.10 (High Sierra 10.13.?) and hours later at home it happened to me. So, basically, I came home after a session, with this project folder and worked 4 more hours without any issue and then it struck at 6:06 PM. The back ups were corrupted and smaller in size all the way back to 5:25PM. This wasn't as bad as in the past, where I lost an entire day. Also, I did not see a "Render Sources" folder that was created after searching the project folder, or any others on my drive for that matter.