Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2013, 06:22 PM

Default installation of 11

Im a bit confused about how to go about setting up pro tools 11 from 10. I have many third party plug ins as well as strike, structure, transfuser, velvet, boom, mini grand and xpand2. Ive noticed on the websites of some of the plugins I have that they dont say anything about AAX. In which case I will be losing out if I update.
Im not sure what steps to take in order to make sure its all installed properly. I dont even know how to find out exactly what plugins I have installed and how to get the new versions. Some advise would be appreciated.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:45 PM

Default Re: installation of 11

Basically, you'll have to use v10 for sessions with all your not-yet-AAX plugins, which is part of why they allow the dual license.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWillhelm View Post
Basically, you'll have to use v10 for sessions with all your not-yet-AAX plugins, which is part of why they allow the dual license.
One plugin has options of going from Native to Native, TDM or HDX. Not sure what any of this means?? Do I get TDM? IS one of these AAX? What do I currently have? Native? Are all of Pro tools plugins and instruments etc AAX now?
This couldnt be any more confusing for the layman.

WHat is this dual license thing? So I don't uninstall 10 then?
Old 07-20-2013, 07:50 PM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnacle View Post
Im a bit confused about how to go about setting up pro tools 11 from 10. I have many third party plug ins as well as strike, structure, transfuser, velvet, boom, mini grand and xpand2. Ive noticed on the websites of some of the plugins I have that they dont say anything about AAX. In which case I will be losing out if I update.
Im not sure what steps to take in order to make sure its all installed properly. I dont even know how to find out exactly what plugins I have installed and how to get the new versions. Some advise would be appreciated.
Here is what I would suggest...
  1. Make sure that you have an iLok 2 (the rectangular one, not the original key shaped iLok). If you do not have an iLok 2, you will need to purchase one from a local Avid dealer or an online Avid dealer.
  2. If you have an iLok 2, go ahead and get your license for Pro Tools 11 using the Activation Code that was emailed to you on July 18th, 2013 (I also copied that to you in a PM).
  3. The Pro Tools 11 iLok license that activation/registration will place in your iLok account will replace the Pro Tools 10 license you have now with a new "bundled" license for both Pro Tools 11 and Pro Tools 10.
  4. Once you have activated/registered your upgrade, you will find downloads in your Avid account at http://account.avid.com under "Your Products", or from "View My Product Details" on the My Account page.
  5. Download and install Pro Tools 10.3.6 (v10.3.6 is required for coinstallation on the same system with Pro Tools 11) and the Avid Virtual Instruments 10.3 Installer if you have not previously installed v10.3 of those
  6. Download and install Pro Tools 11.0.1 and the AIR Creative Collection 11.0

Pro Tools 10 will run your RTAS plug-ins, including strike, structure, transfuser, velvet, and other third party plug-ins that have not been updated to AAX 64-bit for Pro Tools 11.

Pro Tools 11 requires 64-bit AAX format plug-ins.
AAX versions of boom, mini grand and xpand2 are included with Pro Tools 11 in the AIR Creative Collection.

Click on the Pro Tools 11 image at the top of the forum to go to:
www.avid.com/products/pro-tools-software

Then click on the Tech Specs tab, then on Bundled AAX plug-ins for the complete list.

More AAX Info

Go to the AAX Plug-ins forum and check out the top 3 "sticky" threads there for a lot of info on current Pro Tools 11 AAX status for Avid and third party plug-ins, and the thread about AIR instruments.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Paine View Post
Here is what I would suggest...
  1. Make sure that you have an iLok 2 (the rectangular one, not the original key shaped iLok). If you do not have an iLok 2, you will need to purchase one from a local Avid dealer or an online Avid dealer.
  2. If you have an iLok 2, go ahead and get your license for Pro Tools 11 using the Activation Code that was emailed to you on July 18th, 2013 (I also copied that to you in a PM).
  3. The Pro Tools 11 iLok license that activation/registration will place in your iLok account will replace the Pro Tools 10 license you have now with a new "bundled" license for both Pro Tools 11 and Pro Tools 10.
  4. Once you have activated/registered your upgrade, you will find downloads in your Avid account at http://account.avid.com under "Your Products", or from "View My Product Details" on the My Account page.
  5. Download and install Pro Tools 10.3.6 (v10.3.6 is required for coinstallation on the same system with Pro Tools 11) and the Avid Virtual Instruments 10.3 Installer if you have not previously installed v10.3 of those
  6. Download and install Pro Tools 11.0.1 and the AIR Creative Collection 11.0

Pro Tools 10 will run your RTAS plug-ins, including strike, structure, transfuser, velvet, and other third party plug-ins that have not been updated to AAX 64-bit for Pro Tools 11.

Pro Tools 11 requires 64-bit AAX format plug-ins.
AAX versions of boom, mini grand and xpand2 are included with Pro Tools 11 in the AIR Creative Collection.

Click on the Pro Tools 11 image at the top of the forum to go to:
www.avid.com/products/pro-tools-software

Then click on the Tech Specs tab, then on Bundled AAX plug-ins for the complete list.

More AAX Info

Go to the AAX Plug-ins forum and check out the top 3 "sticky" threads there for a lot of info on current Pro Tools 11 AAX status for Avid and third party plug-ins, and the thread about AIR instruments.
Hi Bruce, thanks for the help.

A couple of questions. When you say Pro tools 10 will run my RTAS plugins are you saying I will need to open my projects back and forth between 10 and 11 if I need to use non AAX plugins?
Will strike, structure, transfuser, velvet be updated to AAX at some near point in the future? as I have barely used them yet and I would hate for them to be obsolete already.
Also do I uninstall the version of 10 i have now before installing 10.3.6?
Old 07-20-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Paine View Post
If you do not have an iLok 2, you will need to purchase one from a local Avid dealer or an online Avid dealer.
Why does it need to be an Avid dealer? Please elaborate on that requirement.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
It doesnt but of course they would prefer if it was.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:13 AM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
A couple of questions. When you say Pro tools 10 will run my RTAS plugins are you saying I will need to open my projects back and forth between 10 and 11 if I need to use non AAX plugins?
Correct.
Quote:
Will strike, structure, transfuser, velvet be updated to AAX at some near point in the future? as I have barely used them yet and I would hate for them to be obsolete already.
Already referenced that in the last paragraph:
Quote:
More AAX Info
Quote:
You don't have to, I didn't on my Mac.
Windows installation does require an uninstall when upgrading.
Quote:
Not a requirement at all, I was trying to be helpful. If you wanted to get an iLok quickly without any shipping, you would get it from a local store. If you wanted to go to a local store that had iLoks for sale, a dealer that carries Pro Tools products would most likely carry iLoks for sale. I certainly don't care where you buy it.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:37 AM

Let's not shun the assumptions here. When an Avid official says on a public forum that "you NEED to purchase one from a local Avid dealer" it clearly suggests that this is a requirement. Sure, it's obvious to most of us that an iLok2 is an iLok 2 and they're available many places - Avid dealer or otherwise - but there are people who will take this statement literally and it could be an inconvenience for them to find an Avid dealer. In the past I've needed iLoks ASAP and purchased from non-Avid dealers because they were immediate.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnacle View Post
Hi Bruce, thanks for the help.

Yes, you will need to open the sessions back and forth between the two versions.

You can update to 10.3.6 without uninstalling 10 first.

The Instrument Expansion Pack plugins you referred to were sold off to Inmusic. They have issued a statement regarding AAX compatibility.

Basically, you will need to upgrade to the 2.0 versions to get AAX compatibility, as well as new features they are adding. There is a reasonable fee for this upgrade. The new versions will not need Ilok, and will also work in other programs besides Protools.

Info is here:

http://www.airmusictech.com/kb/artic...to_2.0_upgrade