Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 12-01-2021, 01:40 PM

Default Re: When your internet is down so is ProTools

A bit like subscription software, this is an insidious problem that is very hard to stop. Even software which has a local license seems to go to the internet to check that you aren't using it on multiple machines. And quite often you have no knowledge that it is doing so until things stop working.

In my case, Audirvana, paid for as a one-off permanent license, installed on one machine, decided to stop working when it couldn't get to the net for more than 30 days.
Most Apple apps seem to do the same thing, despite the fact that you can run them on as many machines as you have logged in under your own Apple ID.

Dominic

Last edited by dominicperry; 12-01-2021 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-01-2021, 01:56 PM

Little Snitch shows that, when opening PT it largely traffics for iLok, everywhere.avid.com, and my.avid.com. One, or all, of those was certainly the hangup yesterday.

When internet traffic slows down here I'll disconnect the internet (keeping the connection between my computer and router intact so that it emulates yesterday's conditions) and try to view where, specifically, it's held up.

edit:

In Little Snitch, under ProTools, it lists:
-everywhere.avid.com
-identity.avid.com
-my.avid.com
-www.avid.com
-apps.avid.com
-api-us-east.everywhere...

Which of these can I safely block? I don't use any collaboration services with ProTools, nor do I use the Avid Manager (whatever it's now called) to update PT-related apps and plugins.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:02 PM

I use Radio Silence - $9 only, and very simple to use. Mac only. I'm shure there are win equivalents.

I can't guarantee it works on this specific problem, though.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
In Little Snitch, under ProTools, it lists:
-everywhere.avid.com
-identity.avid.com
-my.avid.com
-www.avid.com
-apps.avid.com
-api-us-east.everywhere...

Which of these can I safely block? I don't use any collaboration services with ProTools, nor do I use the Avid Manager (whatever it's now called) to update PT-related apps and plugins.
Anyone wanna shed some light on which of these IPs above can safely be blocked if we're not using collaboration features or Avid Application Manager.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Anyone wanna shed some light on which of these IPs above can safely be blocked if we're not using collaboration features or Avid Application Manager.
Well, who would have thought a local application needed 6 different server communications to run. What a ridiculous arrangement.

Only Avid can tell you what's on the end of each of those URLs - just because there is or isn't a website on some of them doesn't tell you what application gateways are hidden on a particular port.

You could use trial and error - block them all and see what stops working.

Dominic
Old 12-06-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
You could use trial and error - block them all and see what stops working.
That's probably what I'll do, but others have already experimented and blocked the appropriate IPs so I thought I'd wait for that. There's no rush -- my internet hasn't gone done again since last week (knocking on wood).
Old 12-06-2021, 12:03 PM

Here's my littlesnitch, everything has worked fine for a long time:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2021-12-06 at 20.02.32.jpg (25.9 KB, 0 views)

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 12-06-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
Here's my littlesnitch, everything has worked fine for a long time:
Thx!
Old 12-07-2021, 03:53 AM

Quote:
That's probably what I'll do, but others have already experimented and blocked the appropriate IPs so I thought I'd wait for that. There's no rush -- my internet hasn't gone done again since last week (knocking on wood).
You don't need to connect any of those IPs for PT to work so it's perfectly "safe" to not have any outbound connection. You can block them all.
As mentioned the problem isn't that those IPs aren't reached, the problem is that the entire machine "thinks" you have internet and therefor endlessly waits for a response before it times out.

Just make sure you reject instead of block otherwise the machine won't know that there's no one on the other end.

Just rejecting the AVID specific ones might fix the slow PT start but there will be plenty more apps incl the OS itself that might do a super slow launch because the same problem that I mentioned earlier in this thread applies to all of them in case of an internet outage but the router still connected.
Old 12-07-2021, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Well, who would have thought a local application needed 6 different server communications to run. What a ridiculous arrangement.
You'd be surprised about the amount of metrics and other third party tracking beacons working in the B/G 24/7. I have an advertising and tracking blocker running on our firewall and it's literally thousands of trackers and metrics connections blocked every day from all machines, phones, ipads etc. etc.
I do this in the firewall as trying to "whack-a-mole" all those on every end device is a like fighting wind mills. Even my Samsung flat screen (tries to) connects to a ton of servers every minute I guess to send viewing metrics to third parties. Looking at those logs every now and then is scary.