Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-02-2007, 11:51 PM

Default Dell AMD Dual Core and PT LE 7.1cs10

I am trying to make Pro Tools 7.1cs10 work correctly on my new computer (see configuration info below). I have not had that much luck so far. I am getting continuous 9093,9094 and 9129 errors. Judging from the support database and what I've dug up on Google this seems pretty common. I have been methodically working my way through all the documentation I could find. The problem is significantly improved from where I started, but is still not acceptable. I could never track a live band without being able to be sure I'm at least going to be able to get through a whole pass of a song without Pro Tools quitting in the middle.

Here is my laundry list of things that I have changed:

Fresh install of Windows XP SP2 Pro with all updates up to date (includes IE 7.0 and Win Media Player 11)
No other programs installed except Pro Tools 7.1cs10, Adobe 8.0 reader, Quicktime 7, SANDRA 12.34
Turned off Cool & Quiet in BIOS
Diasabled Sleep - Power Options | Power Schemes - Always On - all devices set to never
Setting affinity to use either one processor or the other makes Pro Tools hang
Upgraded from Pro Tools 7.1 to 7.1cs10
Disabled all unused devices in Device Manager. Only turn network card when I need to use the internet
Tried switching from ACPI Multiprocessor to ACPI Uniprocessor - made no difference. I got the same results either way, so I went back to the Multiprocessor. Except for the errors, Pro Tools works much faster and uses less system resources with Multiprocessor.
Installed AMD Dual Core Optimizer
Installed Win XP dual core hotfix and made corresponding registry changes
Windows firewall is disabled and no antivirus is installed
Ran msconfig and turned off all unneccessary services and startup items as defined in knowledgebase documentation.
Performance Settings: Visual Settings - Set to "Adjust for best performance", Processor scheduling set to "Background Services", Memory useage set to "System cache" and Virtual memory set to 4092 MB (double physical RAM - Microsoft recommendation).
I didn't try setting my IDE ATA Controller driver to Standard Dual PCI Controller. My PC has SATA drives and all the documentation I looked at recommended this change for Intel not AMD.
Separate hard drives for system and Pro Tools. Should I actually have Pro Tools installed on the C drive as well as the OS and only store my projects on the second drive or should the whole Pro Tools install be on the second drive as well?

I'm running out of things to try. Everything used to work so well on my old computer, albeit a lot slower. And I didn't have to disable half the computer to make it work. It's a shame that moving to newer technology has to be such a hassle. I couldn't find anything in the documentation that says my computer is incompatible, but maybe I missed something. It's getting pretty hard to buy the machine you seem to want. Try to find a single processor machine these days that's not a Celeron (even those are multi-core now). I would think you guys would be excited about multi-core processors. We should be able to assign that to run plug-ins or any of the things that used to restrict the track count/number of plug-ins and etc. Part of the reason I bought a new computer is because I plan to move from the MBox up to the DigiRack 03 Rack when 7.4 comes out. Have any of these issues been addressed in the newer version? Is 64 bit computing expected to be available any time soon? Thanks in advance for your help!

Here is my computer's config from SANDRA 12.34:

SiSoftware Sandra

System
Host Name : PROTOOLS
User : dave
Workgroup : WORKGROUP

Processor
Model : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
Speed : 2.00GHz
Model Number : 3800 (estimated)
Cores per Processor : 2 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
Type : Low Power, Dual-Core
Internal Data Cache : 64kB, Synchronous, Write-Back, 2-way set, 64 byte line size
L2 On-board Cache : 512kB, ECC, Synchronous, Write-Back, 16-way set, 64 byte line size

System
System : Dell Inc OptiPlex 740
Platform Compliance : AMD LIVE!
Mainboard : Dell Inc 0TT708
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe USB i2c/SMBus
Multi-Processor (MP) Support : 1 Processor(s)
Multi-Processor Advanced PIC (APIC) : No
System BIOS : AT/AT COMPATIBLE
Total Memory : 2GB DDR2-SDRAM

Chipset 1
Model : Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon 64 / Opteron HyperTransport Technology Configuration
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 1000MHz (2000MHz data rate)
Total Memory : 2GB DDR2-SDRAM
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 334MHz (668MHz data rate)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : Acer AL1911
Monitor/Panel : Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor/Panel : Dell 1908FP(Digital)
Adapter : 256MB ATI Radeon X1300PRO
Adapter : 256MB ATI Radeon X1300PRO Secondary

Physical Storage Devices
WDC WD800JD-75MSA3 (ATA) : 75GB (C:)
SAMSUNG HD160JJ/P (ATA) : 149GB (D:)
Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5170S (ATAPI) : N/A (E:)

Logical Storage Devices
Hard Disk (C:) : 74GB (64GB, 86% Free Space) (NTFS) @ WDC WD800JD-75MSA3 (ATA)
Pro_Tools (D:) : 149GB (90GB, 61% Free Space) (NTFS) @ SAMSUNG HD160JJ/P (ATA)
CD-ROM/DVD (E:) : N/A @ Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5170S (ATAPI)
3.5" 1.44MB (A:) : N/A

Peripherals
USB Controller/Hub : Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
USB Controller/Hub : Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
Keyboard : HID Keyboard Device
Mouse : HID-compliant mouse
Human Interface : USB Human Interface Device
Human Interface : USB Human Interface Device

Printers and Faxes
Model : Microsoft XPS Document Writer

Power Management
Mains (AC) Line Status : On-Line

Operating System(s)
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP (2002) Professional 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)
Platform Compliance : Win32 x86

Network Services
Adapter : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller

Performance Tips
Warning 100 : Large memory sizes should be made of Registered/Buffered memory.
Tip 2546 : Large memory modules should be ECC/Parity.
Tip 2 : Double-click tip or press Enter while a tip is selected for more information about the tip.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Dell AMD Dual Core and PT LE 7.1cs10

Quote:
Separate hard drives for system and Pro Tools. Should I actually have Pro Tools installed on the C drive as well as the OS and only store my projects on the second drive ?
Yes. The Pro Tools software, and all of it's peripherals (plug-ins, etc) should be installed to the system drive. Having it installed to the separate drive could be causing the problem you are experiencing. The separate drive recommendation is for Pro Tools sessions only.
Quote:
Have any of these issues been addressed in the newer version?
You mean the issue of users not setting up their system properly? I'm not sure how they can fix that.
Quote:
Is 64 bit computing expected to be available any time soon?
No. Most talk of 64 bit computing and it's advantages, especially when it comes to audio, is just hype.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 11-05-2007, 07:59 PM

Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately not that simple. Digidesign claims this is an untested chipset and blames it on low level harware incompatibility. Digidesign claims my chipset is nVIDIA® Quadro® NVS 210S Chipset (North Bridge), nForce 430 (South Bridge) but the owner's manual that came with the computer says the chipset is nVidia GeForce 6150LE.

I removed Pro Tools from the second drive and removed all traces of it from the registry. I reinstalled it onto the system drive with more or less the same results, maybe a slight improvement. Is there anything else I can do or am I just dead in the water? Dell must sell 10,000 of these a month. Surely someone out there must have one working. Can anyone help?
Old 11-06-2007, 09:44 AM

The 6150 LE is a integrated Chipset and they are extremely hit or miss (mostly miss )as far as working with PT. As far as I know the 6150 is and has been a no go with PT even with a video card installed.

It doesn't matter how many computers DELL sells a month most of them Wont be compatible with PT its not about popularity its about hardware.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88