Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2013, 07:50 AM

Default New Machine? New Hardware? Purpose built Machine?

OK, so which way to go?

Option #1: Store-bought special with the right processor and right amount of room for expansion of RAM, hard Drives, etc. If I can transfer my memory chips and 2 of three hard drives from old to new, that'd be fine.

Option #2: assemble my own machine. I'm paying very close attention to another thread here by a user named "epu".

Option #3: Purpose built machines. Several to choose from, but these are machines that companies are putting together specifically for music creation. These include the Sweetwater Creation Station, the associate's of PTE that is making Windows PT machines (not for outside UK yet?), Rain, etc, etc. High dollar. Lots of fancy attributes like quite fans, liquid cooled this and that and padded cases, etc. These machines are high dollar. Are they worth it, or is it a bunch of marketing hype?

Option #4: guitardom gave me some sage advice. "upgrading a dual-core machine would be on my short list of things to do." With that in mind, I'm investigating replacing a motherboard and CPU combination with something more modern.

The budget is what makes sense. If it makes sense to spend $3500, fine. I'd rather not. (duh!)

If I upgraded my current machine any more, I would take it away from why it shouldn't be upgraded. That being the CPU and motherboard. My 3 year old dual core could become a 3 year old machine with 1 year old RAM (I have 16GB), 2 WD-Black hard drives < 1 year old and a new third HD as specified by Guitardom and Greg in another thread. Only this time, new motherboard and CPU. I think something new on the graphics front as well, as that seems to be a low point in my Windows Experience Rating. I'm half way there with this machine money-wise as far as doing a less than ideal upgrade, so maybe another $500?

So, any thoughts?
Old 06-29-2013, 11:49 AM

Default Re: New Machine? New Hardware? Purpose built Machine?

older RAM will probably not work in a newer machine (speed and timing differences)

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-29-2013, 01:26 PM

Option #2 is still me best choice. An intel i7 socket 2011, x79 motherboard, quad-channel RAM, quiet case, 650watt(or bigger) power supply.....this is a basis of a great Pro Tools build.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-29-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Option #2 is still me best choice. An intel i7 socket 2011, x79 motherboard, quad-channel RAM, quiet case, 650watt(or bigger) power supply.....this is a basis of a great Pro Tools build.
Intersting. Is there a master list of everything I would need to assemble such a machine?

btw, option #4 is toast. The box I have will not accept any newer motherboards, according to two sources now.

One thing about Albee1952's vote is that I'd have very little in the way of new machine software to un-bloat my system with. :)
Old 06-29-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
Intersting. Is there a master list of everything I would need to assemble such a machine?

btw, option #4 is toast. The box I have will not accept any newer motherboards, according to two sources now.

One thing about Albee1952's vote is that I'd have very little in the way of new machine software to un-bloat my system with. :)
just saw this. gave you a very long answer in your other thread.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10