Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:49 AM

Default Re: PT 9.01 Update IS OUT... and the freakin 003 console freeze issue is STILL NOT FI

Bill that is a good point. I however do only have 1 installation of windows and pro tools on both my desktop and laptop. I am having the freeze on both. I could see this being an issue with the tests going back and forth between partitions with 8.03 and 8.04+ then having the 8.03 stability issues, but its not the cause of the freezing its self.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:57 AM

Default Re: PT 9.01 Update IS OUT... and the freakin 003 console freeze issue is STILL NOT FI

Oh, well...

I've got 003 Rack and am not having any problems, but I feel for the rest of you guys so I'm trying to pass on anything that might be helpful.

Does PT 9 have a "thinking cap" plugin...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-17-2011, 12:16 PM

Default a way forward?

Dear all

I spent half the day battling for this, and I have eventually reached a person in the management - adam kranitz - that has promised me to get things moving to find a solution. Adam was polite and sympathetic and said all the right things. I can see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

Sadly, as I realised a few days ago, the only thing that moved this were legal threats and threats of exposure to public shame.

Please see:

http://www.beware-of-digi-003.co.uk/

I hope I can delete this website in 24 hours - and that we can see some real effort eventually as promised by Adam. Still, we need some promises that we will never go through anything like this again. I do.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:23 PM

Default Re: a way forward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkio99 View Post
Dear all

I spent half the day battling for this, and I have eventually reached a person in the management - adam kranitz - that has promised me to get things moving to find a solution. Adam was polite and sympathetic and said all the right things. I can see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

Sadly, as I realised a few days ago, the only thing that moved this were legal threats and threats of exposure to public shame.

Please see:

http://www.beware-of-digi-003.co.uk/

I hope I can delete this website in 24 hours - and that we can see some real effort eventually as promised by Adam. Still, we need some promises that we will never go through anything like this again. I do.

I hate to say it, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if a class action suit comes out of all this garbage involving the windows drivers, timeline issues, and 003 freezing issues. It's been long enough. If it comes to it, I'll include myself in the suit.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:29 PM

Hi Andrea
Maybe keep the site running until we get a fix. Is there anyway to make it so people can put their thoughts on also....like a message board. Then the numbers will come out.
Anyway thanks for your time in helping resolve this major issue. The more time I spend away from Pro Tools the more I realize that there is a less (hugely) less buggy world of DAW out there.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Reading this, some things hit me regarding dual-booting...

(It's been a while since I've messed with some of this stuff, so if I get something wrong please let me know)

Assume you have a PC with one disk drive, with two partitions: Partition 0 or P0, and Partition 1or P1.

Assume each of these partitions is bootable, with Win 7 64-bit on each one.

If you boot into P0, it becomes drive C:, while P1 becomes drive D:. The drive letters are reversed if you boot into P1.

You can install Pro Tools software on any drive visible to the currently active operating system.

So, you could boot to P0 (C:), and install Pro Tools on P1 (D:). Then, if you booted into P1, you would see ProTools.exe on your C: drive, but it would not run because the Registry and other information was stored with the OS on P0.

Remember that if Win 7 (or Vista) sees a device that it does not currently have a driver installed for, it starts searching for one in its driver database.

Keep in mind that Win 7 neither knows nor cares about Pro Tools. You plug in a 003, it looks for a driver for a 003. (This has been causing problems as if there is no Avid driver installed, Win 7 loads its 003 driver, and this appears to have been causing problems if the Avid driver is later installed.)

Now, I do not know exactly how Win 7 searches for a driver when one has not been installed. I know that devices have a "signature", and Win 7 looks for a driver with that same signature. And I do not know if it searches serially, one partition then the next, etc., or if it is searching multiple partitions at once.

Now, let's use a bunch of suppositioning and guessing and create a perfect storm...

P0 has Win 7 and PT 8.0.3.

P1 has Win 7 and PT 9.0.0.

You boot into P1 with your 003 plugged in. Win 7 looks for one by searching for the 003 "signature". It searches on all partitions at once, and finds one...the one for 8.0.3 and is satisfied. Then you start PT 9, but the 8.0.3 driver has been loaded. And...failure.

Now, as I said, there is some supposition and guessing going on here. But we do have a plausible problem scenario.

So, I think it might be wise to try to separate cases out by whether there is more than one version of PT installed on a machine, even if on different drives and/or partitions, and those cases where there is only one PT installation on the entire machine.

This may be totally a dead end, but I do think it might be worth considering by those of you having problems with 003's (or whatever hardware).

Good luck...
Hi Bill, thanx for your reply. Your post makes sense at first sight. I'll look into it more thoroughly. I just got home from a long mixing day and had some short nights, so my brains are pretty slow at the moment. What comes to mind at this point, is that I only have 1 W7(64b) partition, the other one (with pt8.0.3) is xp32. If I remember correct -I've been thru so many installs- the reason for that is in compatibility between os and digi drivers. I'm sure I've always installed drivers and pt to (standard) C: partition, i.e. the partition that holds the OS I've booted into at that point, so I doubt if Windows wouldn't find the drivers at the correct location. However, as I said, I'm pretty much braindead right now. I will see if I can come up with and run some tests to get deeper into this as soon as my braincell has been reanimated.

Anyway, thx for posting!
Old 01-17-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmc1988 View Post
Bill that is a good point. I however do only have 1 installation of windows and pro tools on both my desktop and laptop. I am having the freeze on both. I could see this being an issue with the tests going back and forth between partitions with 8.03 and 8.04+ then having the 8.03 stability issues, but its not the cause of the freezing its self.
Hi Alex,

just wondering: (as I said, I'm quite braindead right now, so forgive me I make little/no sense):
- Did you have problems with 8.0.3 (I mean, other than the regular bugs unrelated to the freezing) before installing 8.0.4 (/drivers)?
- Are you using the same 003 on your desktop and laptop? (or are you just exchanging sessions and using different hardware/ 2 different 003's?)
Old 01-17-2011, 01:19 PM

I think getting a fix is paramount, but also solving all that our struggle exposed is paramount.

I can't believe it how long this has been going on and what I had to do to get avid to say and promise what they should have done on day one, months ago, without having to get angry and threatening.

I posted in another forum and someone pointed out that even if it was a single user experiencing such serious problems for so long it would have been completely unacceptable. And it is so true.

But seeing so many experiencing this and being ignored is truly awful
Old 01-17-2011, 01:22 PM

Yea my hard drive /partition 2 cents

I out of necessity have hot swap hard drives with w7 ultimate pt 8.xxxx

Hard drive 1 has partition dual boot with windows xp service pack 3 pt 7.4 never updated firmware for 003 in case of having to revert back to PT 7.4 and w7 ultimate PT 8.04 cs2. Alot of other programs are on this one.
Both partitions experience the freeze with 003 although mine never seemed as extreme as others.

Hard drive 2 w7 ultimate PT 8.03 cs2 64x b driver Nothing else was ever put on this hard drive. Has the freeze with the 003 occasionally. And another bug that stop me cold was destructive record has a 50 second delay.

I could install another hard drive if anybody likes with what ever. Just let me know what. Im at a loss and wish DTS had more into this than...........
Old 01-17-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
P0 has Win 7 and PT 8.0.3.

P1 has Win 7 and PT 9.0.0.

You boot into P1 with your 003 plugged in. Win 7 looks for one by searching for the 003 "signature". It searches on all partitions at once, and finds one...the one for 8.0.3 and is satisfied. Then you start PT 9, but the 8.0.3 driver has been loaded. And...failure.
I think booting P1 does load pt9 driver correctly, which is 'proven' by Mr. Freeze's presence, since Mr. Freeze is -for sure- caused by the pt9 driver.

However, what happens when booting into P0?
- if 003 communicates correctly with fw-card, since 8.0.3 drivers have been installed, they should load. Yet, this seems to be not the case.
- power cycling 003 (amongst other things (?) ) makes windows look for the driver. Question might raise: does windows chooses the first driver it finds or the previously installed driver (the 8.0.3 in both cases), or does it choose the most recent version (the pt9 driver)? I can definitely check that and will do. Unfortunately, as I have 2 long mixing days to go, 1,5 days of arranging, an avant-premiere and a premiere of our latest project and rehearsals of the arrangements, it will probably be only by the end of the week I will have the time (and safe opportunity, i.e. without the risk of delaying my deadlines because of unexpected failures) to do so.
Closed Thread