Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room

Old 05-15-2023, 04:35 AM

Default No audio out on Fast Track Duo

My Alesis Nitro output cables are inputted to the front inputs of Avid Fast Track Duo. I was getting sound to external powered speakers and now nothing. My iMac plays web audio fine via Fast Track.
In system prefs, audio there’s a prompt no audio output. Avid is not labeled in "select a device for sound output." It's labeled ZeroBandwidth. Don't understand why Avid Fast Track Duo does not show.
Headset Jack has drum audio on the Avid.
No DAW, Pro Tools just direct from module into Fast Track to speakers.
What’s wrong here?
Attached Images
File Type: png Sound Prefs.png (58.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Conkyjoe; 05-15-2023 at 06:02 AM.
Old 05-15-2023, 05:11 AM

Default Re: No audio out on Fast Track Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conkyjoe View Post
My Alesis Nitro output cables are inputted to the front inputs of Avid Fast Track Duo. I was getting sound to external powered speakers and now nothing. My Mac iMac plays web audio fine via Fast Track.
Are you using Pro Tools here? what version? What is the playback engine set to?

Can you play back recorded audio from Pro Tools and this is only an issue with monitoring? if so, make sure low latency monitoring is not checked... if you want to use software monitoring through Pro Tools. What do track meters show in Pro Tools? What does the master fader track meter show for the output you are trying to use... add a master fader track if you don't have one already.

... and with drums you may well want to use hardware monitoring while tracking.

What powered speakers? What exactly are they connected to?

Quote:
In system prefs, audio there’s a prompt no audio output. Avid is not labeled. It’s something else.
Headset Jack has drum audio on the Avid.
What’s wrong here?
System prefs audio? You mean Audio MIDI Setup?
Prompt no audio output? K?
Audio on the Avid? You mean Fast Track Duo?

Do you have the interface main output volume knob turned up?
Are you hearing the drums in the headphones through Pro Tools (or whatever DAW/app you are using) or through hardware monitoring aka "direct monitor"in the interface. If that means nothing to you you need to read the interface documentation and/or play with turning up "direct monitor" to confirm you can use hardware monitoring in the interface to hear your drum kit on the main outputs... without any DAW or audio app. That confirms the interface input and output audio hardware is at least working. Then turn direct monitor off and get this working through Pro Tools or whatever.

This is a dumb-as a rock simple interface, with headphones output physically mirroring the main output, so what you are describing does not really make sense. Esp. if the main outputs are known to work but you can only hear the drums in the headphones, I'm not buying that.
Old 05-15-2023, 08:55 AM

Found the problem. The direct monitor button was in the off position. Turned it on and voila. Sound thru speakers. Found this info in the manual.
Can’t believe one button in the wrong position caused all this hair pulling.
Old 05-15-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Found this info in the manual.
Ah, the old RTFM!
Old 05-15-2023, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Found the problem. The direct monitor button was in the off position. Turned it on and voila. Sound thru speakers. Found this info in the manual.
Can’t believe one button in the wrong position caused all this hair pulling.
Great you got it sorted out, and you being a drummer I had a feeling you might have been using hardware monitoring. So many users get themselves messed up with hardware monitoring since it's orthogonal to the DAW they are trying to use. Even if you do only want to use hardware monitoring for this I do encourage you to also play with your DAW software monitoring and play switching between both, experience the latency through the DAW, but see how to use software monitoring for other things where you might want plugins in the monitoring signal etc.
Old 05-16-2023, 03:48 AM

I think I’ll start with Garage Band as a DAW then go from there. It will be a learning curve but I’ll figure it out. Thx for the tips.
Old 05-16-2023, 04:52 PM

If starting out with Garage Band, ignore that previous advice about it being a good idea to play around with software monitoring. Garage Band gives no explicit control of HW Buffer sizes and latencies, so while it's a great DAW to get started with it's a PITA with software monitoring in many situations, so just stick with what you are doing now with hardware monitoring and be sure to uncheck the orange/amber input monitoring button on the input track(s) in Garage band (to disable their software monitoring).

If you do like Garage Band, Logic Pro is a natural step up/compliment (and does not have the mentioned restrictions of Garage Band with H/W buffer settings/latency all configurable).