Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2006, 06:36 PM

Default Recommendations needed for Protools training

Hello Protoolers --

I'm looking for recommendations for ProTools tutorials and training. I'd like to be able to do this online, or using DVD training, so I don't have to attend training somewhere outside my home.
If you have any recommendations for online/dvd based tutorials/training for ProTools LE, I'd love to hear them. I'd prefer to work on this at my own pace, and I'm hoping to obtain some sort of proficiency certification in ProTools.

I'm using a PPC G5 Dual-Core, Mac OSX 10.4.8, 3.5 GB memory.

Thanks,

Bond
Old 10-12-2006, 06:42 PM

Default Re: Recommendations needed for Protools training

www.grooveboxmusic.com

~

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 10-13-2006, 12:26 PM

I highly recommend Multi-Platinum Pro Tools by Nathan Adam and Brady Barnett. It walks you through a pro-session, and includes a DVD with the walk-through video and session data. It covers a lot of stuff, to include using Autotune on vocals. It only came out a few months ago, but you should be able to find it Borders or Barnes and Noble for about $49.99 or so. Well worth it, in my opinion!! here's a link to it at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Platinum...720748?ie=UTF8

Some other excellent books to have are Pro Tools Power! and Pro Tools Overdrive!(Ignite! is the beginners text, but you are probably past that stage if you read the manual!).

Of course, if you want to get certified, there's always Pro Tools 101 which is in stores(And I believe required for certification!).
Old 10-13-2006, 05:41 PM

Thanks for the recommenations. I rushed right over to Amazon and picked up a copy. Also the 101 Certification. I'm looking to retire from a day job and get into audio restoration work, so certification would be good. Thanks for the tips.

Bond
Old 10-13-2006, 06:54 PM

Hi Bond
Quote:
I rushed right over to Amazon and picked up a copy. Also the 101 Certification. I'm looking to retire from a day job and get into audio restoration work, so certification would be good.
Ummm... I presume by 101 Certification, you mean the Pro Tools 101 Official Courseware book? You mention that you would like to become certified, you are aware that the Pro Tools 101 Official Courseware book, as far as I understand, is exactly that, just courseware and is not an official accumulation of credits towards becoming a certified Pro Tools Operator?

filosofem
Old 10-13-2006, 07:16 PM

For certification, you are required to pass a test on 101, actually. So, if you do decide to go that route, it is good to know what's in that book(Even though it only covers the basics). As far as certifications go, I am on the fence about the practicality of actually being certified(Even though we are all definitely ceritifiable in one sense or another, woohoo !!!!).

Either way, that Multi-Platinum book is one of the better ones I've seen, and it comes with glorious color photos!! Pro Tools screens in B & W just doesn't do it for me, hehe.... But seriously folks, I've dumped that book on several people so I can get them up to speed, and they have learned very quickly what they need to know!!
Old 10-13-2006, 07:29 PM

Quote:
it is good to know what's in that book
Cheat!
Quote:
As far as certifications go, I am on the fence about the practicality of actually being certified
That's alright, that decision's made by the employer.

filosofem
Old 10-13-2006, 07:44 PM

Cheating is never good, hehe.... But then again, a really good library might have that book !!!! Doubtful, but who knows...

"Certification" always baffled me... Either you know the deal, or ya don't and it's real easy to figure that out, if you are an employer(And if they can't figure it out, the only excuse is laziness and lack of interest in prospective employees!)... I was hired in a studio because I knew the in's and out's and had my own LE system to bring with me. I bought my own gear(Starting with Audiomedia 3 & Session 8 and ultimately moving up to my own personal Deathstar HD3 Accel system!), learned how to use it through trial and error and the rest was history. But then again, I am one of those crotchety "Don't waste your money at Full Sail" types.

Then again, I like the Spice Girls, so what the hell do I know, eh ???
Old 10-13-2006, 08:06 PM

Playing devils advocate, from an employers stance, putting a potential employee on the spot, is time wasting and unnecessary. A potential employee with paper work, must add brownie points with this sort of thinking?

filosofem
Old 10-13-2006, 08:28 PM

A good employer will not rely on paper alone.... You must test that prospective employee, otherwise you are wasting your time. A good example is my current day job in federal law enforcement. It currently requires a 4 year degree, although I don't have one(Long story). When I went to my academy, people with 4 year degrees, and in some cases, masters degrees, were struggling and failing tests that I passed with ease. That just goes to show, that 'paper' isn't everything. When I worked in the studio biz, it didn't matter what school you went to, or what you were certified in, you had to prove yourself "in the mix", if you will. I was thrown to the wolves when I started, and I did fine because I knew what I was doing. Sure, there are some businesses out there that will 'require' you to be certified. Mainly, that is a tool to weed people out and thin the ranks. Which is the same case with my day job. And, frankly, I find that to be a crock. Anyone can go to school and get certified(Or get a degree), but only those who truly want it will truly learn how to use it, by any means necessary! I intend to open a full blown multi-media studio in the next 5 years, with law enforcement applications as well as music and television/video capabilities requiring extensive knowledge of Pro Tools, Bias Peak, and Avid software. I have no intention of requiring prospective employees to be certified in anything other than themselves and their knowledge of the equipment and how to properly employ it !!