Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2006, 12:21 PM

Default Is There A Phase Correction Plug In?

Hi there,

I've just started bouncing a few tracks in mono in order to press a copy for some vinyl cutting place which requires all bass in mono.

A few of the tracks sound markedly diferent in mono: is there somehitng I could do about this through ProTools?

I dont see a phase button anywhere, and not sure if htis alone would magically make htings sound better, so if you guys have any advice ro candirect me towards somewhere that wold have info on this (I use some stereo samples which seem to be the root to this problem), I would really be obliged.

Thank you,
Snafu
Old 03-13-2006, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Is There A Phase Correction Plug In?

the digi "trim" plugin has a phase switch
and the digi compressor.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:10 PM

if you monitor in mono, leaving the tracks alone (if you mixer has a mono button or via plugin on the master bus), does it sound as bad?

Is the plant requiring that everything below a certain frequency be in mono or just the bass guitar and kick drum? If the latter and either were recorded in stereo, try muting one of the stereo channels and panning the other to mono.

nudging tracks can yield better results than just flipping the phase. not always (or often even) but it can.

Will
Old 03-14-2006, 10:11 AM

Thanks for your responses, I really appreciate it.

Will, dont take this the wrong way, but I love you man. the nudging has really helped demuffle the track, its not perfect, but its a huge improvement and good enough for a test press anyway. Do you, or anybody who's had something released on wax, know if records (or bass on records) are always pressed in mono? I hope it was just this dub plant!

I still have some minor questions that interest me (and I'm sure other amateurs), especially the 3rd point:

Everything around 200Hz and below is to be in mono, the main problem being that I sue a sample that doesnt just have bass on it, so it really is just as wll bouncing to mono.

1.Unfortunately I don't see a phase buton on my Digirack Compressor- and I dont have the trim plug in either (I'm using PT 6.4cs9). What version do you have? I also have PT7, but use 6.4 (madness I know)

2.On the Waves bundle, Mondomod has a phase rotation- is htere any htought behind this process, or should I just bounce the 4 versions (90 degree rotation increments) and decide which one sounds best? I find it strange using things that dont even have a threshold:)

3.This is something I've never figured out- how can you monitor in mono witout bouncing in mono??
Old 03-14-2006, 01:17 PM

use the 1 band digi eq. it has a phase flip on it
Old 03-14-2006, 03:31 PM

It doesnt on mine (The 1 Band EQ-II anyway!) Is that different again?

I just hope this isnt a problem if I ever get to press soemhting properly.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Hi there,

I've just started bouncing a few tracks in mono in order to press a copy for some vinyl cutting place which requires all bass in mono.

A few of the tracks sound markedly diferent in mono: is there somehitng I could do about this through ProTools?

I dont see a phase button anywhere, and not sure if htis alone would magically make htings sound better, so if you guys have any advice ro candirect me towards somewhere that wold have info on this (I use some stereo samples which seem to be the root to this problem), I would really be obliged.

Thank you,
Snafu
If your using Pro Tools LE and opening up a digi eq,trim, or compressor there is a phase invert button.

On a stereo insert there are 2 phase invert buttons.

This link should help you use you digirack plug-ins.

DigiRack Plug-ins guide.

Split your stereo tracks into mono by going to track>split into mono and shift one of the regions around until you hear an improvement. If flipping phase (or not!) and nudging things around won't fix this you are most likely SOL.

There is software that can run in Pro Tools on a mac that was designed to fix phase issues and it is called Phasetone. There is also an excellent hardware option made by Little Labs but it is priced around 500 bucks.

Good Luck.

Old 03-15-2006, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your responses, I really appreciate it.

Will, dont take this the wrong way, but I love you man. the nudging has really helped demuffle the track, its not perfect, but its a huge improvement and good enough for a test press anyway. Do you, or anybody who's had something released on wax, know if records (or bass on records) are always pressed in mono? I hope it was just this dub plant!

I still have some minor questions that interest me (and I'm sure other amateurs), especially the 3rd point:

Everything around 200Hz and below is to be in mono, the main problem being that I sue a sample that doesnt just have bass on it, so it really is just as wll bouncing to mono.

1.Unfortunately I don't see a phase buton on my Digirack Compressor- and I dont have the trim plug in either (I'm using PT 6.4cs9). What version do you have? I also have PT7, but use 6.4 (madness I know)

2.On the Waves bundle, Mondomod has a phase rotation- is htere any htought behind this process, or should I just bounce the 4 versions (90 degree rotation increments) and decide which one sounds best? I find it strange using things that dont even have a threshold:)

3.This is something I've never figured out- how can you monitor in mono witout bouncing in mono??
The needle is cutting the waveform into the vinyl. Waves 200Hz and lower are pretty long in length and could cause the needle to jump out of the groove if it is loud enough and panned hard enough.

If you have a 002 there is a little button on it that says "Mono". If you press it, the signal will come out of your monitors in mono.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:
...vinyl cutting place which requires all bass in mono...is there somehitng I could do about this through ProTools?
this thread may help out:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...&Number=966401
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 03-16-2006, 06:10 PM

I'm sorry, I've spent a few hours doing research, and it still is a little unclear on certain aspects.

1.If you try to smaple soemting, like an accapella or a bass, the PAZ analyser shows a lot of phasing. How did this record get pressed?

2.Is the phase "logo" on the Digi EQ II a circle with a diagonal line?
If so, messing with it doesnt eliminate problems on most sounds

3.Is is thus recommended to record evrthig in mono?

4.Essentially, is there a way to get what I hear as my END result (if pressing is needed and phasing occurs. I was dead happy with the sound, then discovered its phasing, does htis mean it will sound altered and rubbish (DIFFERNT from what it sounds like on my Mbox if pressed)? This is really what this post is about...

Apologies for the constant quesitonng..I always assumed that what you hear is what you get, and I'm faced with the prospect that all my 70 tracks are now unfinished again!!! Nightmare!