Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 01-07-2009, 07:19 PM

Default Command 8 not appearing in Peripherals

My command 8 was not appearing as a Midi device in the peripherals menu. I followed the instructions in the answerbase (regedit midi devices etc) and now it appears as a midi device (Command 8 Surface)

However, the Command 8 protocol (type of controller) is no longer in the list! I can only choose between:
  • None
  • HUI
  • MotorMix

It seems that Pro Tools is not loading the Command8.dll file in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Digidesign\DAE\Controllers"

Has anyone seen this before?

Using Pro Tools LE 7.1cs10
Old 01-07-2009, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Command 8 not appearing in Peripherals

SOLVED

I had downloaded a Command 8 firmware updater whilst trying to sort out the missing MIDI ports. This also installed the Command8.dll file from an earlier version of Pro Tools (perhaps 6.9) which was not compatible with 7.1.

So, following the Answerbase solution to missing ports by deleting a registry key with regedit solved the missing MIDI port.

And, reinstalling the Command 8 software from the 7.1 install cd has it working again.

Perhaps there should be some kind of warning when an older controller DLL is found, rather than silently pretending that it doesn't exist.
Old 05-12-2023, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt connolly View Post
SOLVED

I had downloaded a Command 8 firmware updater whilst trying to sort out the missing MIDI ports. This also installed the Command8.dll file from an earlier version of Pro Tools (perhaps 6.9) which was not compatible with 7.1.

So, following the Answerbase solution to missing ports by deleting a registry key with regedit solved the missing MIDI port.

And, reinstalling the Command 8 software from the 7.1 install cd has it working again.

Perhaps there should be some kind of warning when an older controller DLL is found, rather than silently pretending that it doesn't exist.

Do you still have the updater ? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I tried all that you mentioned above except for the updater, nothing has worked. I still can't use my faders
Old 05-12-2023, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Emmanuel View Post
Do you still have the updater ? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I tried all that you mentioned above except for the updater, nothing has worked. I still can't use my faders
Hi Peter – welcome to the forum!

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...nload/en379411

Scroll down to:
Additional Downloads
Legacy Hardware Drivers

Scroll down to:

Control Surfaces
Command|8 Driver for Mac:
o Drivers are installed by Pro Tools software installer
o Command|8 drivers for Mac OS X are automatically included as part of the Pro Tools 9 and 10 software installation, and are a selectable option in the Pro Tools 8 (HD, LE, M-Powered) and below installers

• Command|8 Driver for Windows:
o For Command|8 users on Pro Tools 9 and 10 only, download the Command|8 Driver v9.0 for Windows
o Command|8 drivers are included as a selectable option in the Pro Tools 8 (HD, LE, M-Powered) and below installers

I’m using the Command|8 Driver v9.0 for Windows with Pro Tools 2023.3 and it works fine

You may have to install Pro Tools 9 or 10 to get the Mac version, if our (Mac) fellow-member Ben Jenssen doesn’t chime in with a link …
Old 05-27-2023, 03:24 PM

I'm running PT 2023.3 on a Mac Pro, and Command8 is missing that port 1.

Where would I find the correct driver?

Thanks so much!
Old 05-27-2023, 04:51 PM

Hi Ron. Welcome to the forum.

It's been a while since I used my C8, but I never needed a driver. It's plug'n play. Just enable it in setup menu/peripherals/midi controllers tab. If it doesn't show up there, I guess something's wrong in the connection or the C8.