Old 12-27-2022, 04:58 AM

Default Re: Speaker out question

I decided to order 10ft Mogami Neglex Balanced cables TRS Male to XLR Male
Pro Tools Studio 2022.12
Old 12-27-2022, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbalou88 View Post
Yes, that is correct ($109 per speaker). Price wise they didn’t get me on the cables as their Mogami cables at $70+ was too high for me. I bought Livewire Essenential 10 foot cables for about $20 each. I would like to know where BScout got Mogami cables for $15. I went to Blue Jean Cables and saw where their 1/4” TRS to XLR cables were Canare which were high noise rejection but also higher capacitance which effects the higher frequencies. I used Canare once for guitar cables and didn’t like the tone as much as Mogami as I could hear the difference on some guitars (sounded duller to me). I made my own Mogami guitar instrument cable and still use it with great results for 8 years now I admit I have not looked into cables to carry just signal for speakers beyone speaker cables for high power output to my bass cabs which the main thing I have to consider is cable conductor size. For bass I use no smaller than 12 awg but on my largest 2 x 15 cab I use 10 awg no longer than 5 foot (higher current carrying for better low end).
Yeah, Nice entry level speaker, so you proably don't need so spend a boat load on cable. All my studios I have done we build the cable with Canare or Mogami, Usually Canare cable with Neutrik Connects i.e. XLR. Got very good at soldering with the best solder you can get and a good soldering gun. I usually do not build my DB25, but have-:) The Mogami is usually the go to on those.
Funny, I have had many connects for years so my price was way cheaper when I bought them along with some cables pre Pandemic.
Good Luck with it and Happy New Year!
G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 12-27-2022, 07:05 AM

Quote:
I decided to order 10ft Mogami Neglex Balanced cables TRS Male to XLR Male
Good Choice!

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 12-27-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
Yeah, Nice entry level speaker, so you proably don't need so spend a boat load on cable. All my studios I have done we build the cable with Canare or Mogami, Usually Canare cable with Neutrik Connects i.e. XLR. Got very good at soldering with the best solder you can get and a good soldering gun. I usually do not build my DB25, but have-:) The Mogami is usually the go to on those.
Funny, I have had many connects for years so my price was way cheaper when I bought them along with some cables pre Pandemic.
G

I have a Weller WES51 Temperature controlled Soldering station same as we used at work before I retired in 2019 and Weller 60/40 Rosin core solder. For connectors lately I use Neutrik and Amphenol, sometimes Switchcraft (only for 1/4" Plugs). I could have bought the stuff from Parts Express or CE Distribution to build my own but they were out of one or two items. Also use Mouser Electronics which is 45 minutes away but surprised they did not sell something needed. Yeah, DB25's are more complicated. Had to build and repair them and other sizes over the years when I worked at DFW Airport in Electronics. Can't say I enjoyed it though

Update: You have to spell Neutrik correctly on Mouser Electronic's site or doesn't find it LOL
They are a very large Commercial Electronics distribution center (They do sell many items to the public) and guess they didn't want to have to determine all the ways you could misspell things and direct you to the correct spot.
Pro Tools Studio 2022.12

Last edited by Bubbalou88; 12-27-2022 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-27-2022, 03:08 PM

I got two JBL 305MKII Studio Monitors and connected them to the Main outputs of the MBOX Studio. All I got was low hum from the speakers and no audio out. I got a notification there were updates to MBOX Control and Pro Tools. I did this and it informed me I had to do a firmware update. Did that also but still the same. With this I decided since I had 8 more days to go back to Windows 10 to just do that. Once done it is all working so I guess MBOX Studio does not like Windows 11 after all!
Pro Tools Studio 2022.12

Last edited by Bubbalou88; 12-27-2022 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-27-2022, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
They got you on the cables, sadly. Standard GC practice. Those should have been no more than $15/each (mogami/Neutrik). If you can, return the $218 you spent and check with one of a million cable makers. (Blue Jean Cable and “World’s Best Cable”/“WBC” do good work and both can be found on Amazon)

I re-read my post and it was incorrectly worded. It looked like I paid $218 for the cables. LOL Yep, I would have to have my head examined had I done that. The Monitors were on sale for $109 ea and the cables were $21 each (Livewire essentials)
I have ordered a pair of Mogami Neglex male TRS to male XLR

Sorry for the confusion
Pro Tools Studio 2022.12
Old 12-29-2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
G

I hooked the Mogami Neglex speakers up and there is a big difference. I knew Mogami was good for guitar cables but haven't had much experience with speaker cables that just carry signal. These are great! Well worth the cost.
This is a great forum with knowledgeable people willing to help! Thank you all!
Pro Tools Studio 2022.12
Old 12-31-2022, 06:29 AM

Quote:
I got two JBL 305MKII Studio Monitors and connected them to the Main outputs of the MBOX Studio. All I got was low hum from the speakers and no audio out. I got a notification there were updates to MBOX Control and Pro Tools. I did this and it informed me I had to do a firmware update. Did that also but still the same. With this I decided since I had 8 more days to go back to Windows 10 to just do that. Once done it is all working so I guess MBOX Studio does not like Windows 11 after all!
Not sure what exactly your issue is with Windows 11, but the driver model did not change between 10 and 11, so it should work fine. 11 did bring securtiy updates and changes to common Windows settings, so it’s possible that it is just a configuration issue. I’m using my MBox Studio on Windows 11 without issue.

System Details
Old 12-31-2022, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
Not sure what exactly your issue is with Windows 11, but the driver model did not change between 10 and 11, so it should work fine. 11 did bring securtiy updates and changes to common Windows settings, so it’s possible that it is just a configuration issue. I’m using my MBox Studio on Windows 11 without issue.
I guess I will try one more time. Did you do a clean load of Windows 11 and only put your MBOX Studio and Pro Tools on there?
Pro Tools Studio 2022.12
Old 12-31-2022, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post

Ok, I upgraded to Windows 11 again. Have no idea what was happening as I have changed nothing but all seems fine now with Avid MBOX Studio, MBOX Control 1.0.1, Avid Links and Pro Tools. Hoping it continues to do well as I prefer Windows 11 for security and other implementations. Just a better look to me. Thank you for you response.
Pro Tools Studio 2022.12

Last edited by Bubbalou88; 12-31-2022 at 07:19 PM.