How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2022, 11:06 AM

Default Sending midi to Pro Tools without recording it

Hi,

I've got a generic midi controller setup and controlling some Fabfilter parameters in a Pro Tools template I made specifically for sound design/creating fx. I've got a midi track setup for each plug in being controlled, receiving from controller, sending to plug in. These midi tracks are record armed.

What I'm looking to do is record my fx to a stereo print track, but not record my plug in automation.

So, I start recording, I do a little filter sweep or what have you, I stop recording. I now have a stereo mix of my sfx on my print track (good), but I've also recorded midi data on my midi tracks (not good, or rather not preferable for my specific goals). I know I can just delete the resulting midi regions and keep it moving, wondering if there's a better fix?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-30-2022, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Sending midi to Pro Tools without recording it

I've often been in a similar boat where I use a plugin wah filter for guitar sims, a plugin which is controlled by an external MIDI expression pedal. I "Learn MIDI CC" in the wah plugin and it works quite well. But I don't want to retain the MIDI info since that guitar track was being routed elsewhere (an Audio track for the print) and so the MIDI wah data was only needed during the record.

Ultimately, I created a MIDI track, which I would keep muted, and it would take the incoming MIDI. I'd then have the wah plugin which needed to be controlled by MIDI looking at that MIDI track's data. It operated live as I was recording, just as needed, but during playback it was ignored because the MIDI track was muted. One advantage of this is that I can go in and tweak that MIDI after the fact, if needed, to get the wah performance just right.

I don't know if your scenario is similar enough, but maybe this will spark something helpful.
Old 09-02-2022, 09:42 AM

Thank you very much for the replies!

Eric, I think muting the midi tracks solves my issue almost entirely, thanks so much.

Robruce, I am using an Akai controller, setup in Pro Tools > Peripherals > Midi Controllers as a "M-Audio Keyboard." I'm using Midi Learn feature in the FabFilter plugins (Midi enables) to map midi cc output from my controller to the Fabfilter parameters.

I am unaware how I would be able to send midi cc from my controller to Fabfilter plugins in Pro Tools without setting up a "dedicated MIDI" track. Please let me know if I'm missing something, and if you need me to provide more context. Thanks!
Old 09-02-2022, 02:09 PM

Just my opinion, but for controlling plugins, there are a few options:

#1-Avid Control(free app) on a tablet(like an iPad) can do a lot of stuff, so maybe hit youtube and watch some videos showing that in action.

#2-a dedicated control surface using Eucon protocol(like Avid S1 or S3). This is the expensive method, but is hands-down, the best.

#3-(best value IMHO), a Presonus Faderport V2 with neyrinck's V-Control Pro software. Once setup correctly(not difficult), you hit the LINK button on the faderport and whatever plugin you have on the screen, hover the mouse cursor over ANY control and the fader on the faderport will adjust that parameter. The resolution is very good and I have yet to find a plugin that won't respond(including FabFilter ProQ 3). The moves will NOT be recorded UNLESS you have enabled automation on the parameter, AND have the track(with the plugin inserted) in automation write, or touch. I bought a used Faderport V2 for $140 and got the neyrinck software on a yearly subscription(around $50/yr). You can buy the software outright, but I'm old enough that I may not mix for much longer

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-07-2022, 10:31 AM

That's a really cool use of a faderport! May give that a go, though I have V1, not sure if it'll work. Thank you for your time and input
Old 09-07-2022, 01:21 PM

One more option is reFuse Software's Mulligan.
Old 09-07-2022, 01:33 PM

slightly related...

does anyone have a solution to having a footswitch set session bpm realtime? like for setting delay timing live while recording
Old 09-07-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmason View Post
That's a really cool use of a faderport! May give that a go, though I have V1, not sure if it'll work. Thank you for your time and input
Sadly, the V1 faderport is not compatible.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-07-2022, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
slightly related...

does anyone have a solution to having a footswitch set session bpm realtime? like for setting delay timing live while recording
Using which app? ProTools?
Old 09-08-2022, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Using which app? ProTools?
Yes, exactly. Haven't found a way to tap in tempo in any other way than clicking on a delay plugin. Instead if someone knows if and how it would be possible to leave it synced to session bpm and tap the tempo by a footswitch woulkd be great. So far no luck.