Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 01-16-2016, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Latency and I/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Oh come on...

Latency requirement of 3.3ms means traditional monitor would have to be less than one meter away and if artists ears are two metres away it would be a huge problem...
Try listening to yourself sing while you're also hearing yourself sing from 1m away. Really weird and phasey (comb filtering). Obviously, this is impossible to actually try, but you can hear EXACTLY how bad it sounds by tracking vocal through HDN at 44.1.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:57 AM

Default Latency and I/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Seas View Post
You have a point. However, listening with Headphones or IEM, somehow is different?? I don't have experience as I am not a musician, but the fact is, that at about 4 or 5 ms I start having consistent complaints, different musicians, different sessions.

I do occasional gigs as a bass player and I always use IEM for monitoring. I cannot make a difference between analog mix and PT mix 48k@256 buffer (5,3ms latency from buffer alone, then add ADDA and wireless latency). However, 512 buffer makes it impossible to perform due to delay.

I've met so many musicians and the monitoring whine is mostly because artist is not in the comfort zone so simply taking a minute and saying I've fixed it or offering a cup of tea with honey has most often fixed the latency issue.

Earliest digital pianos had 10-12ms latency from keystroke to sound. Somehow the pianists were able to use those things...
Old 01-17-2016, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
Try listening to yourself sing while you're also hearing yourself sing from 1m away. Really weird and phasey (comb filtering). Obviously, this is impossible to actually try, but you can hear EXACTLY how bad it sounds by tracking vocal through HDN at 44.1.
Oh my god, this is what I've done for ages.

Singing live to a mic that is 5cm away from mouth (some negligible latency before voice reaches microphone) and monitoring from a can that is 1,5m away (5ms latency before monitor mix reaches my ear) and I have never had a trouble with it (total +5ms latency assuming analog mix).
Old 01-17-2016, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
Thanks for the explanation on the RME - I would have never guessed that!

Champagne and beer I am afraid

Personal monitor mixers that accommodate 32 channels are way out of this budget. The Behringer isn't a bad option for 16 ch but be aware that it is anther source of latency (not sure how much).

So you can already do 16ch on total mix so that is of course one option - keep the monitor mixes to 16 ch. A 32 ch analog console for splitting all your live inputs with multiple aux sends is an affordable option. EQ on every channel and you can add a reverb unit to it.

For the all digital approach I have to think a bit. If you don't already have HDN the Avid choices are less wonderful. If you would have to buy all new RME stufff things like Orion 32 come to mind. But I have experience only with AVID and DiGiGrid .
Thank you for your point 'keep the monitor mixes to 16ch.' simple and basic, I was just being stupid I mostly won't need more that 16 ch. of sends to give monition for the mix and all the musicians, I just need to choose 1 or 2 mics of each instrument route everything through 1 RME card, and use Totalmix to do the routing. DUH!!! More work on the patch-bay, I am not exactly a fan of RME's Totalmix either, but, it is a solution. At least until I get rich enough to buy me a HDX card... Thanks man...
Old 10-31-2022, 04:49 PM

You've already posted this here: https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=265583

Can you please follow the DUC rules and not post duplicate stuff to multiple different threads.

You are also posting stuff here to a several year old thread and posted before to a decade old thread. I am not sure of the point. In future if you want to try to open a discussion about something that interests you try creating a new thread. Just posting pretty unrelated stuff on the end of other threads pretty much comes across as spam, and spammers tend to get run out of here.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-31-2022 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-22-2022, 11:27 AM

Wow! All of this boggles my mind.
I've made hit records and recorded for decades and the only latency that bothers me is VI latency - but it's been much better with the Mac Studio. Actually, maybe no problem. I haven't thought about it at all recently.
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com