Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-23-2004, 08:02 PM

Default FIle Management Question

Man, I'm sure not a newbie but here's a newbie question for you. It's a bit of a puzzler, I appreciate any help:

I'm using PT 5.2.1 on a Dell Dimension 4300 running XP with 512 megs of ram and four 7200 drives (one for the system and programs, one for audio, one for other media and a fourth for backup) giving me a total of 340 gigs. I'm working on a major project -- about ten songs my band recorded. We originally recorded all the tracks in one long session and then cropped each song into it's own file.

Problem #1: All the audio files for the songs shared the same audio folder.

Then I backed up my files to a backup drive. A few days later, I noticed that somehow the projects were pulling files from both the initial audio folder in one drive and a separate file on the backup drive. (I'm going to blame someone else in the band for setting that backup drive as the audio drive to record to).

Problem #2: Collected audio files for 10 songs spread across two folders on two separate drives (one IDE, one firewire).

Not wanting to accidentally erase any files, I backed up BOTH folders onto another drive and put in my order for 6.1.1 because I read it had some new file management system which I hoped would solve this problem.

Well, PT 6 is still in the mail, and now I'm getting 6045 and 9128 errors all over the place, and I think it's because my files are in a mess on a bunch of different drives. Imagine my horror when I checked today and found files referenced in the song on BOTH firewire drives AND my internal IDE drive.

So what can I do? I can't just dump the files into one folder because some files on one drive share a name with a file on another drive, because they were created in a separate song from the same recording session. i'm so confused and frustrated and any help you can give me would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

thanks

ctsrar
Old 02-23-2004, 10:19 PM

Default Re: FIle Management Question

I think the easiest way is to do a 'save session copy in', which will create a new session with new exact copies of the audio files, but only what you need for that session. Save the new session where you really do want it, and don't forget to specify what you want copied. Do this for each song.

You can also move the session to the location you want and cut and paste all the audio files for the session to the new location, but that's alot more work than just 'save session copy in', and you may have to copy much larger files than you need for one song.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:15 AM

Default Re: FIle Management Question

thank you so much, i can't believe how easy that was . . .

too bad it didn't solve my 9128 and 6045 error problems. . . .