Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 04-12-2020, 11:57 AM

Default Another Folder Track bug: Soloing a Routing Folder doesn't solo routing bus

Anyone else noticed this?

If you have a Routing Folder that contains tracks that are not assigned to the Routing Folder track input (bus), but point outside of the Routing Folder, soloing the Routing Folder will not just solo the input (bus) associated with the Routing Folder.

It will also solo, and let play, any tracks pointing outside of the Routing Folder!

This is very unexpected, because Avid explained to me that a Routing Folder should basically behave like an Aux track. Well, it doesn't!

Yet another issue that completely messes up my usual workflow.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Another Folder Track bug: Soloing a Routing Folder doesn't solo routing bus

I can see why you don't want it to act this way. But I also can see where it is a good thing to act this way too. Let's say you have processing happening through other auxiliaries (such as parallel processing) through aux tracks that exist outside of the folder. It would also be annoying to have to go solo those tracks within that folder when the track folder is already soloed.

To me, it seems logical that it would solo all tracks contained within the folder regardless if they are routed through the Folder Aux or not. Maybe I'm missing something.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 04-15-2020, 12:48 AM

Default Re: Another Folder Track bug: Soloing a Routing Folder doesn't solo routing bus

Well, I get what you mean, but in that scenario you could use sends, instead of routing the complete track output via a bus.

They didn't think properly through all the routing possibilities and workflow when they designed these track folders.

Currently, I encounter more drawbacks than improvements to my workflow.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:15 AM

I'm worried I'll get my head bitten off by someone again, but imo this is precisely the kind of reason why I don't think Routing Folders work well currently. I don't think I'd call this a bug, its just muddled all round.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-23-2020, 08:51 AM

Routing Folders are just Aux tracks that can also act as a folder for other tracks. No more, no less.

Your aux tracks don’t solo when you solo a track outputting to them, routing folders are the same. What you probably want is to “Solo Safe” the routing folder just like you’d do with an Aux track. Hold down the Command key (Control key on Windows) and click the solo button on the Routing Folder (same as you would with an Aux). Then you can solo a track within the folder that’s outputting to the routing folder it’s audio will pass through the folder.

This is no more of a bug than it was when using Aux tracks. “Solo Safe” my friend. That’s the ticket.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:35 PM

No, you're mistaken. The exact point I was making is that soloing the 'aux' routing folder still lets through signal outside of the 'aux' assigned to that routing folder. This is very unlike regular aux behaviour. Solo safe isn't gonna help a bit.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:31 AM

The best fix would be to just get some sort of fader on a "Basic folder", then we wouldn't go anywhere near routing folders at all.

(YMMV! Just being contentious ;-) )
Old 04-24-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJENSEN View Post
No, you're mistaken. The exact point I was making is that soloing the 'aux' routing folder still lets through signal outside of the 'aux' assigned to that routing folder. This is very unlike regular aux behaviour. Solo safe isn't gonna help a bit.
Boy I guess not I'm understanding what you are talking about .
So
I get having one or a couple tracks in group, that are not routing to a group AUX track input , or to a Routing folder track input.

I just did a test session with a group of 4 tracks , 3 routed to and Aux input,,, and one routed to the main outs .
And a second group with 3 routed to the Routing folder input ,,, and one routed to the main outs (OR is this not like what you are talking about ?)

Because I am not clear on what you are saying is different (other than having to solo safe it, in an Aux group to get it play, otherwise it wont,,,,or having to mute it , in a routing folder group, to not play, otherwise tit will ) Am I missing something ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 04-26-2020 at 05:36 AM.