Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2020, 08:30 AM

Default Another Folder Track bug: Solo cleared when folding track in Mix window

Seems another bug: Solo a few tracks inside a folder track. Then fold the track with the folder icon in the Mix window: Pro Tools clears all the Solos! Why?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qim...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by XJENSEN; 04-04-2020 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Added link to movie
Old 04-04-2020, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Another Folder Track bug: Solo cleared when folding track in Mix window

And more problems with the solo button on the folder track: you can enable, but not disable, by clicking the solo button. And while the folder track is soloed, you don't hear any of the underlying tracks. This can't be right?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S0g...ew?usp=sharing

Back to mixing without the Folder Tracks for now. Jeez.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Another Folder Track bug: Solo cleared when folding track in Mix window

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJENSEN View Post
And more problems with the solo button on the folder track: you can enable, but not disable, by clicking the solo button. And while the folder track is soloed, you don't hear any of the underlying tracks. This can't be right?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S0g...ew?usp=sharing

Back to mixing without the Folder Tracks for now. Jeez.
I can't quite tell from the video how you're set up, but it looks like you're using Routing Folders. Routing Folders are a bit of a recipe for disaster, since they typically don't actually route! If you create the folder than drag tracks in, or add new tracks, or move to an existing routing folder, the individual tracks are not routed through the routing folder fader itself, and solo / mute / fader will do nothing. The only circumstances under which they route audio through this fader are if either a) you click the track header of existing tracks and Move To a NEW routing folder, then select Routing Folder and click the check box to change the routing, or b) you convert an existing aux to a Routing Folder. Even then if you add new tracks inside it, they won't be routed through the fader, you need to manually re-route them to the Routing Folder's input.

By contrast, regular folders work as you'd expect - mute and solo always work both in the mix and project windows to all tracks inside the folder. It's a blessed relief.

As a result of discovering all this, I've decided that unless a future version makes their behaviour consistent I won't be using Routing Folders as they are a mess and won't fit into my workflow at all, while regular folders are Nice To Have.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-04-2020, 09:27 AM

Yes, I can confirm everything is set up / routed properly. I checked all the assignments once again.

I'll try my luck with regular folder tracks, keeping the Aux's as I had before, to just organise the session a bit.

They must have been working on this for at least half a year. It's beyond me why there's still so many loop holes and plain bugs in this release.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:00 PM

Not sure exactly what you're talking about but when you add tracks to a routing folder you then have to reselect their output to that folder.

Working like charm here.

C

Edit- It helps the name the folder with and F at the end to make sure you fund the right place to route the tracks to.
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:40 PM

Update: Currently under investigation by Avid.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Update: Currently under investigation by Avid.
Hi.

You mean that they are investigating the fact that solo are cleared when a folder is closed?
That would be great if solo state could stay like it is before closing a folder.

Cheers.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioluche View Post
Hi.

You mean that they are investigating the fact that solo are cleared when a folder is closed?
That would be great if solo state could stay like it is before closing a folder.

Cheers.
Indeed.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Seems another bug: Solo a few tracks inside a folder track. Then fold the track with the folder icon in the Mix window: Pro Tools clears all the Solos! Why?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qim...ew?usp=sharing
I would say this is expected behavior. When you close the folder, all you have visible and access to is the folder, which is an aux. If things inside the folder were solo'd, you'd not have a way to know this. So you'd find yourself in situations where you're hunting for why something is being heard but you don't know what or why - if it were hidden inside a closed folder but still solo'd. You'd have to start opening all the folders to find the hidden solo'd track.

It actually makes sense that closing a folder would un-solo it's internals. If you're closing it, you're no longer working on its internal tracks so having some of them stay solo'd doesn't make sense. In other words: while you're working with internal tracks - leave the folder open. Soloing them implies your focus is on their audio.

Also too bad this thread was a little hijacked by a user trying again to claim that routing folders are a mess because tracks dropped into them are not automatically re-reouted to the folder's output - which is again not their point as routing folders can contain tracks routed anywhere!
Old 04-10-2020, 05:59 PM

No, it's not expected and doesn't make sense at all.

By the way, they implemented another color for the solo button to indicate that tracks in the folder are soloed, so you actually do have a visual indication. So I see no single reason why the solos should be cleared when folding.

It has always been part of my workflow to extensively work with soloing. That's messed up now.