Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2008, 03:44 PM

Default Stereo Groups or Mono Poll

Just curious what folks are using and the reasons? Having a discussion with one of the other engineers and wanted to get others thoughts

Scott
Old 07-22-2008, 06:15 PM

Typically using mono groups since we have the VCA's. Don't tend to do a lot of grouped stereo dynamics processing.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:29 AM

I don't get to use Venue much, but when I do I just use mono groups.. 1 for drum compression and one for lead guitar compression.. Scott if I remember correctly, you were at the FOH class Scoville taught last year?? Your name sounds familiar anyways.. I do the thing he told us about where you pan your guitar right a little then pan the compressed group left a little and it makes an amazing sounding lead guitar straight up the middle. I love it.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Ellis View Post
I don't get to use Venue much, but when I do I just use mono groups.. 1 for drum compression and one for lead guitar compression.. Scott if I remember correctly, you were at the FOH class Scoville taught last year?? Your name sounds familiar anyways.. I do the thing he told us about where you pan your guitar right a little then pan the compressed group left a little and it makes an amazing sounding lead guitar straight up the middle. I love it.
I use stereo groups and follow a lot of the Scovill approach with them.

Dave
Old 07-23-2008, 08:03 AM

Daniel,

Yes I was at the seminar. I use most of the tips Robert discussed at the seminar myself. My reason for the original post was just to get others thoughts as we are having some interesting/fun discussions on the mono grouping versus stereo grouping. The other engineer has his set up this way.
Group 1 Drums Left
Group 2 Drums Right
Group 3 Band Left
Group 4 Band Right
Group 5 Horns/Percussion Left
Group 6 Horns Percussion Right
Group 7 Vocals/Choir Left
Group 8 Vocals/Choir Right

The system is true LCR (meaning all clusters cover the entire room) so you can do some nice stereo panning.

I suggested he switch to stereo groups since it could give him more control regarding the dynamics. Also wondering if the tracking between the 2 groups could be a problem too with the Impact and Phoenix???

Scott
Old 07-23-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fahy View Post
Just curious what folks are using and the reasons? Having a discussion with one of the other engineers and wanted to get others thoughts

Scott
Personally, I use a lot of buss processing on stereo groups, so I gravitate towards them. I have a project coming up where I'm using the variable groups for the first time, and I've set it up on the desk, and that seems to work really well, too. I think I'd like to see a 24-buss option for 8 auxes and 16 variable groups! Frankly, I've found enough ways to get in and out of effects that I rarely find myself needing more than 8 auxes.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmadix View Post
I think I'd like to see a 24-buss option for 8 auxes and 16 variable groups! Frankly, I've found enough ways to get in and out of effects that I rarely find myself needing more than 8 auxes.
I have never used the variable groups, and have thought they are just like auxes. So how do they differ?
Old 07-23-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpolice View Post
I have never used the variable groups, and have thought they are just like auxes. So how do they differ?
Well, I'm just getting into it myself. At this point, I see the main difference as they can be either stereo or mono. This was useful for routing the bass inputs to a mono group for buss compression and also the drums to a stereo group for buss compression. I'll report back as events unfold!
Old 07-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Avid

Brad's pretty much summed it up. Var Groups allows for a combination of mono and stereo groups to be routed to Mains, compared to the mono- or stereo-only choices. Set all input channels so the Var Groups are at 0 dB gain, post-fade and mix away!

Sheldon
Old 07-24-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Radford View Post
Brad's pretty much summed it up. Var Groups allows for a combination of mono and stereo groups to be routed to Mains, compared to the mono- or stereo-only choices. Set all input channels so the Var Groups are at 0 dB gain, post-fade and mix away!

Sheldon
I thought it's possible to mix the groups in the same way?

EDIT: Oh now I understand. Tried it first time with the standalone software. I always thought it behaved the same way as groups. Cool to be a thing wiser again=).