Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-27-2008, 08:32 AM

Default Powerbook users here? Need advice on Powerbook vs. Intel-

I'm laptop shopping right now. I sold my G4 1 gig iBook a couple of weeks ago because it just didn't have the horsepower I needed.
I'm mainly using my computers for Pro Tools, but don't require the "latest greatest" technology since all I do is guitar & vocal overdubs for client's projects.

I've thought about getting a new Macbook- But I've come across some good deals on a couple of last generation Powerbooks.
I'm leaning towards them because I'd like to have the bigger screen.

Sure, the Intel notebooks are going to be faster than a Powerbook, but my question is-

Are you guys that have Powerbooks having any issues running 7.4 or 7.4 smoothly?

The one I have my eye on right now is the last generation with the 1.67 Power PC. I really like the idea of the bigger screen (and prefer the overall look & feel of the Powerbooks compared to the Macbooks...)

Are there any specific reasons I should just go ahead and do the Intel as opposed to getting a clean used PB for my uses?

In a perfect world, I'd get a Macbook Pro... But I don't have the finances, nor really the need for one.
As I said, my typical work flow is opening a client's session, adding guitar tracks, and sending it back to them via FTP. I need enough CPU to run and instance or two of Guitar Rig 3/Amplitube/etc ocasioanlly... But that's about the extent of my VI use.

I guess I'm just trying to make sure I won't be kicking myself later if I do the PPC vs the newer Intel Macbooks-

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Powerbook users here? Need advice on Powerbook vs. Intel

If you can afford it:

At this point, don't waste your money on a powerbook. You will regret it. You are DOUBLING your processing power with a macbook, even it it does have a smaller screen. I had a powerbook 1.5 and let me tell you, my macbook pro blows it away. Everyday I use my laptop as my main music making device, I am amazed. I can run 32 tracks, with waves plugs and virtual midi instruments off a LAPTOP. That would be a pipe dream 5 years ago.

The bigger screen is nice on the powerbook, but you would be better off buying a 20 inch flat screen and running off the larger display than suffering through a much slower system. I have the 15inch macbook pro and while it works in stand alone, I still love turning on the 24 inch widescreen for major tracking.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Powerbook users here? Need advice on Powerbook vs. Intel-

Please be aware some fire wire audio interfaces are experiencing problems with the newer macbooks which have the Lucent or Agere fire wire chipsets. What has been reported on a another forum is the Lucent or Agere chipsets can cause the fire wire interfaces to issue a fire wire bus reset shortly after start of data transmission. For detailed information please see the link at the below for more information.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...-2007-a-3.html
Old 02-28-2008, 09:36 AM

I read though your link and although that really sucks, it doesn't mention anything about problems with protools firewire devices.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:19 AM

Citi,

You are correct is does not say specifically pro tools is having a problem however if the fire wire chip set is causing fire wire interfaces to issue a bus reset shortly after start of data transmission, I would guess it could be a problem. To all of you computer experts could this be fixed with some updated driver?

Please see the link below.
http://www.bj-brown.com/blog/?p=15

Some have reported that the new macbooks that were released on Tuesday February 26, 2008 still have the Lucent chipsets however the macbook pro's that were released the same day have the TI chipsets.

By pressing "Command-S" (single user mode) while booting you can see some information about the firewire chipset, it will be about half way down the page.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:56 PM

Well-
I ended up buying a 15" Powerbook used locally. Perfect shape, 1.5 PPC. Great deal at $600 with a gig of RAM, Superdrive, etc.

I was running 7.4 fine with my 1.07 iBook, but it got touchy when I tried to run any of the VI guitar amp simulators.
I'd imagine with 2 gigs of RAM, this Powerbook will work just fine for my uses for now. Evetually, I'll turn it in to my travel/business/email machine and get one of the Intel desktops.

I'm pretty pleased with it. I should have it up and running with 7.4 in the next day or so, and I have some tracks to do for a couple clients.
If it doesn't give me what I want, I can always re-sell and get what I paid.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:34 PM

yeah, definitely upgrade the ram. 600$ is a great price.