How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2022, 03:07 AM

Default Re: PT AudioBridge & Airpods Pro

Rouge Amoeba Sound Source

never seen this before, seems to be interesting - any other users giving feedback
Old 10-18-2022, 05:43 AM

Rogue Amoeba has been around for years. They make great software. Of course Loopback is their most robust audio routing software, Sound Source gives you some fine control of certain application audio output.

With the addition of PT Aux IO, it’s flexibility has improved with relation to Pro Tools.
Old 10-18-2022, 08:09 AM

You can obviate the sample rate problem by using them wired if you're willing to shell out another 30 bucks or so for the Apple mini-plug-to-lightning cable. I tried a couple other brands of mini-jack-to-lightning, as well as mini-to-mini-jack with the lightening adapter. No go. Only the Apple cable seems to deliver audio from the Mac headphone jack to the lightning connector. In a couple weeks, I'll be testing how it works to compose on a passenger jet with the noise canceling feature.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 10-18-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
You can obviate the sample rate problem by using them wired if you're willing to shell out another 30 bucks or so for the Apple mini-plug-to-lightning cable. I tried a couple other brands of mini-jack-to-lightning, as well as mini-to-mini-jack with the lightening adapter. No go. Only the Apple cable seems to deliver audio from the Mac headphone jack to the lightning connector. In a couple weeks, I'll be testing how it works to compose on a passenger jet with the noise canceling feature.
This works fine with AirPod Max but not with any of the other AirPod line up.
Old 10-18-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Yes, you can but it’s a little clunky. Since the AirPods connect and disconnect depending on whether they’re in the ears or not, every time you remove them they disconnect as an available device throwing up a message in Pro Tools that the path was removed from Aux IO. You then have to re-add it back in when you put them back in your ears. Also, the hardware buffer needs to be below 512.

A possible workaround to this would be to create a multi output aggregate device that includes the AirPods. Add the aggregate as an Aux IO and it shouldn't disappear even when the AirPods disconnect when they’re out of the ears. When you put them back in the ears they’ll reconnect as part of the aggregate and you’re good to go. I haven’t tested this yet, it’s all in theory.
Its not clunky at all with Sound Source

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 10-18-2022, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Soundsource here also. For years, across many PT/OS versions. I recently got my first Airpods, and configuring in/out devices is a breeze; I like to have a facetime sound on my monitors, and mic input from Airpods, for example.

(Rouge Amoeba software is mac-only, unfortunately.)
I am Mac only so I didn't notice that! Sound Source is great. If anyone is on Mac IIRC there is a demo

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 10-19-2022, 12:58 PM

Rogue Ameoba has a slightly less expensive product called Airfoil which I used today (in demo form) to direct Pro Tools audio to my iPhone. That's a help, since Audreio is no longer available. Airfoil is cross-platform, as well. I also used AuxIO to check a mix on my AirPods (the cheapest ones), but I realize that's not going to work on Windows.

Old 10-19-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
This works fine with AirPod Max but not with any of the other AirPod line up.
Oh. Sorry about that. I got the Pro and Max mixed up.

Old 08-12-2023, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Did you create a Bus that is mapped to the AirPods output in your IO Bus tab?

AirPods show up as two devices in Audio/Midi setup.

1 device for input
1 device for output

Make sure you chose the correct one in Aux IO.

If your Mac system audio is also choosing the AirPods this might cause issues. Make sure your Mac is not using the AP as it’s device for audio output.

I have been experiencing intermittent clicking and popping using AirPods with Aux IO so I will be curious to know if you do as well.
Thanks its2loud
In my case I found the clicking (sound like clock issue) just rebooting the MacBook it went away and it was still using AirPods as MacBook sound output.
I also found since I use mainly 44.1k sample set, iPods are 48k and caused issue using Pro Tools Audio Bridge as it doesn't seem to sample rate convert.
This is how I do it and seems to work ok. I wish Avid would allow direct to BT and sample rate conversations, maybe in future versions.

First of all this is for MAC only!
I set up my AirPods on my MacBook with Pro Tools as follows.
What I use - Pro Tools, BlackHole and LadioCast to do this. BlackHole and LadioCast are FREE apps you can download below (You can donate to help them out if you wish)

This is the set up:
1.) Pro Tools - "Playback engine" - Pro Tools Aggregate I/O

2.) Macbook - "Audio MIDI Setup" - choose "BlackHole 2ch in/out" (It's an app to route audio between programs)
NOTE: Something I didn't know and figured out is Audio MIDI Setup routes things in order from top device to bottom of listed device in order of in/outs. So first top stereo device will be 1,2, then the next device would be 3, 4, etc... Audio MIDI Setup does not number them 1,2,3,4. It only shows you how many in/outs of the device you are using. So you have to make sure to pay attention to the order of devices you use to know which in/out for each device.

3.) LadioCast -top left of app choose Input 1 - "BlackHole 2ch", and click on the "Main" output button, then to the top right of app choose to "Main OutPut" and choose AirPods.
NOTE: I found a bug that sometimes LadioCast will loose AirPods connection. All you need to do to fix this is go to LadioCast app and make sure you are seeing the meters working, then click on the Input"BlackHole 2ch""NAME", and or click on Main Output "NAME" AirPods. It seems to reset in/outs connection.

For Macbook AirPod settings - I turn on Bluetooth and choose my AirPods. I also use MacBook sound and choose AirPods

I saw some say use buffer size 512 or under, I found this not to make much difference in my case. I get weird distortion sounds randomly sometimes that can easily be resolved by changing buffer size to anything 1024, 512, 256. Doesn't seem to matter. Just changing the buffer size fixes the issue. I also found this happens more often if the computer is over worked by lots of plugins, to many other programs opened at the same-time. Closing un-used programs while working on Pro Tools sessions seems to help.

BlackHole
https://existential.audio/blackhole/...ode=1931312481

LadioCast
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ladioc...11213048?mt=12

Here's a link of someone using LadioCast
I believe I might of learned this from this video awhile back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3_VIDFnSrs

Here's some pics to help too.

God Luck
Attachment 17831

Attachment 17832

Attachment 17833

Attachment 17834

Attachment 17835
Old 08-13-2023, 11:22 AM

Using Airpods on PC here sometimes. Works well mostly, but if I hit stop and then play again too fast, it will throw up an error message about the audio engine not being able to keep up. Hopefully they can stop that error from happening in the future.