Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 02-03-2011, 09:31 AM

Default PEQ or GEQ on vocals

I have a constant argument with my band leader over this topic. He likes to assign each lead vox to a group only to put a graphic on each one so that if he hears something he doesn't like eq-wise, he can get the band and pull it out. I like using graphics only to ring out each mic, as they are all different brands and qualities of Mics, then use the parametric to clean up any frequencies I'm not liking that night. Is there any benefit to either approach. What are your opinions on this? The reason why he does this is that we came from yamaha world before digi and u could insert a graphic on any channel u want. He wants to still do that on the avid desk but without GEQ plugs, we have to route each channel to a group to accomplish this. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:43 AM

Default Re: PEQ or GEQ on vocals

I would like a bit of information. Is the band leader adjusting EQ levels for house as well as monitors? The next obvious question is .. Why?
Does he have some sort of "magic" hearing that enables him to hear what each individual vocal sounds like in both the house and on stage?
But.. I digress.. how about teaching him how to use an inserted Parametric on each? You can insert one on each channel, up to your processing limitations of course.
Or buy a graphic plug in.
I rarely use graphics on anything any more. I prefer the control I can get with a parametric. With the EQ that is available on the channel coupled with one 5 band plug in that is plenty of eq to get the desired sound.
Any more than that it might be time for new mics or speakers.