Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 12-27-2010, 11:42 AM

Default Panel mount (bulkhead style) Digilink

Does anyone know if there is a source out there for panel mount bulkhead style digilink connectors? I want to use a 1.5' cable from the FOH rack to a panel and a 1.5' cable from PCI-E card to panel, than use 25' cables to link between the 2 panel mounted female to female digilink bulkheads. For numerous reasons, most notably if I break a connector I would much rather it be a field serviceable one as opposed to an OH SH**F*** one!!!

Even if there is no bulkhead available, what about a male to female digilink cable/adaptor at approximately 2' long?

Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

Yes this is for a touring system, so setting it up and tearing it down on a regular basis is required.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:23 PM

I'm not sure about the cables, on a tour we used the 25' cable connected to the cards in venue rack and zipped a service loop, then would coil it after every show in the rack. Not sure if it helps.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Panel mount (bulkhead style) Digilink

Awesome question. I'm going to be facing the same situation in a few months when our mobile PT rack is riding a long with us...any suggestions would be great! Thanks!!

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 12-27-2010, 07:21 PM

For everyones reference: (found this posted in the ProTools HD TDM Mac Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Gates View Post
The Digilink connectors are 26-pin Hirose DXM connectors: http://www.hirose.co.jp/cataloge_hp/e23050006.pdf

Pete

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 12-29-2010, 08:22 AM

Digilink cables = WORST CONNECTOR EVER

Touring with these can be problematic. Watch out for the plastic tabs that release the small hooks. If they come off/out it can be very hard to get them disconnected.

tig
Old 12-29-2010, 09:45 AM

Ideally if you are touring I think it is best for the PT to be in the same rack as the FOH rack so none of these connections will receive any wear on them. Having said that it is often not feasible for one reason or another.
I wonder if it would work out better to take a standard 25' Digilink cable and use that with some CPC connectors. For example cut the cable about 30" back from the connector and terminate the other end in a panel mount CPC. Then put a couple of CPC on rest of the cable to use as a patch cable. By using the CPC as a daily disconnect you wouldn't have to be concerned about the digilink connectors at all.

Just a thought.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:27 PM

The way I am getting around the digilink cables is we have two MADI cards in each of our VENUE systems. I take the MADI from the FOH rack to our PT rack which has the HD MADI. That way, the BNC's take the beating, and the digilink cables are safe in the rack. This is a more expensive way of doing it, but gets the job done.