Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-29-2021, 01:17 PM

Default UI anomalies with latest PT subscription

I tried posting this before i.e. so I thought I did, but can't find it so forgive if this is a duplicate.

On Windows 10 and quite capable machine I"m encountering issues where PT UI will freeze momentarily , usually once that happens if I click somewhere else , the screen will white wash, an hour glass spinner will show up , the window label will then include "not responding" .

I am not encountering that issue is any other program nor for that matter any other DAW.

So don't understand how to address this.

It happens so often that its killing the workflow.

Any suggestions ?

-Charles
Old 05-29-2021, 01:56 PM

Default Re: UI anomalies with latest PT subscription

Disable your network card temporarily and see if it behaves any better. Mine was freezing every ten seconds…the display would freeze, but it would keep playing/recording. I’ve lessened it to some degree, but it still does it.
Detailed system specs would come in handy, by the way.
Old 05-29-2021, 03:58 PM

thanks, I'll try that in tomorrow's session.

Perhaps a coincidence but this does seem to happen upon user interaction i.e. a click , re-focusing on ProTools from another app etc

some specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3696 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s), I am pushing around 4 ghz
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB

if there's any specific diagnostic that you believe would be helpful, let me know

again, I don't encounter this with any other app

my nvidia card is not the greatest but hasn't really been an issue for the other DAWs
Old 05-29-2021, 06:27 PM

This sounds very much like this other thread here. Both these seem to be happening on very capable Windows 10 systems. So far, people have pointed to either network connected activity or connected storage activity.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 05-29-2021, 07:21 PM

yes, I looked at the guys's youTube vid, it seems to be exactly the same as I'm encountering and that poster has an insane rig, so it can't just be about PT being too heavy.

I'll try disconnecting both network and the one external usb drive i have i.e. besides my iLok.

How are bugs submitted to Avid ? Does PT have logs that can be attached to the ticket ?

thanks
Old 05-29-2021, 07:33 PM

btw, Avid for some reason insisted on activating my subscription on iLok Cloud i.e. as opposed to generating an activation code I could redeem.

Due to the potential that networking could be a culprit in this I suppose it makes sense to move my Avid activations to my dongle i.e so that I can attempt to run PT totally offline.

Anything wrong with this strategy ?

thanks
Old 05-29-2021, 09:16 PM

I always use the ilok dongle. I never trusted the cloud authentication and there have been incidents where the ilok servers were offline and people with critical deadlines needing cloud authentication could not run Protools nor get work done. Simply having a weak or unstable internet connection can be a problem.

The reason the experts suggest turning off networking, is that some programs may be "calling home" to check for updates, sync data, backup configuration parameters, etc. These operations could be interrupting Protools or Windows tasks.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 05-31-2021, 04:37 AM

I understand that, just haven't had a problem with my other DAWs.
In any case, so far today I haven't had this issue pop up. I still have the network on, but the one thing I did do was that I moved everything to my iLok dongle from the iLok cloud and de-activated the iLok cloud.

So perhaps that network activity pushed it over the top.

I keep pushing it off but meaning to research the Windows Powershell commands to disable and enable a the network.

thank you for your help.