Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-26-2014, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Anyone running Accel cards in Thunderbolt to PCIe chassis?

So, if I use a Windows computer with a Thunderbolt port, then I can put my TDM cards in the external box and it will run just fine? I don't like the idea of using Windows, but I can live with it if I have to.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 02-26-2014, 10:00 AM

You could but there really is no point. Any PC modern enough to have Thunderbolt will run ten times better Native than TDM.

Sent from my iPhone killer

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 02-26-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I replied in your other post, but it case you don't see it, I'll mention it here. With a Thunderbolt chassis, not just any PCIe card will work. Each manufacturer must specifically write a software driver for the specific card to be recognized by Thunderbolt. Avid has done so for HDX and HD Native, but not the older cards. And they probably don't plan to.

They're not drivers that you download, but it's written into PT10 software.

Here's another thread where someone bought it thinking it would work and it didn't:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...ma+thunderbolt

He does mention that his UAD2 card works without any drivers, but he may not realize that it may be written into the software already.
Sorry but I think you're wrong.

As I understand it, TB is simply hot pluggable Pcie over wire. It is effectively transparent.

It is nothing to do with Apple or individual card manufacturers, but everything with having the correct Intel chip set in your host.

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 02-26-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dB.co.uk View Post
You could but there really is no point. Any PC modern enough to have Thunderbolt will run ten times better Native than TDM.

No offense, but you could not be more wrong. There is not a computer made that can do what TDM can on that computer! Best of both worlds, considering your sig, I would think you'd know that. If, that were true, you woluld not be using a TDM rig, an HDX rig, and an HDN rig?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 02-26-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
cause it's probably very easy?
It's probably very easy to jump off a balcony, but there may be reasons not to.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
No offense, but you could not be more wrong. There is not a computer made that can do what TDM can on that computer! Best of both worlds, considering your sig, I would think you'd know that. If, that were true, you woluld not be using a TDM rig, an HDX rig, and an HDN rig?
When I have to, I don't use a TDM rig out of choice. There is absolutely nothing that attracts me to it and no advantage to using it. From the very small amount of delay comp to the horrible fixed point mixing.

Thankfully most places I have to use are now at least in this decade.

I recently had to open a small 5.1 session from my 11HDN on a 10HD3 TDM. It was completely maxxed out by my session to the point of beach balls every time you tried to do something. Incredibly frustrating. On a native system I am getting a whopping 12 samples of latency, instead of 2 frames through TDM.

Rather than waste your time and money, I thought you would be better off considering the native alternatives.

And as for chips? There is no way that a ten year+ old design (Accel) is as powerful as the latest i7's, E5's and Cuda GPUs.

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 02-27-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
When I have to, I don't use a TDM rig out of choice. There is absolutely nothing that attracts me to it and no advantage to using it. From the very small amount of delay comp to the horrible fixed point mixing.

Thankfully most places I have to use are now at least in this decade.

I recently had to open a small 5.1 session from my 11HDN on a 10HD3 TDM. It was completely maxxed out by my session to the point of beach balls every time you tried to do something. Incredibly frustrating. On a native system I am getting a whopping 12 samples of latency, instead of 2 frames through TDM.

Rather than waste your time and money, I thought you would be better off considering the native alternatives.

And as for chips? There is no way that a ten year+ old design (Accel) is as powerful as the latest i7's, E5's and Cuda GPUs.

At this point there is not much I haven't tried. I think we just have different workflows and needs. I can appreciate the fact that it works for you. I record mostly bands and I cannot work without guaranteed latency of TDM/HDX.

Trust me, I've tried the whole Apogee/Symphony thing two separate times. If I was a mixer mostly, I would not use TDM. I have to be able to track at any stage.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:

As I understand it, TB is simply hot pluggable Pcie over wire. It is effectively transparent.

It is nothing to do with Apple or individual card manufacturers, but everything with having the correct Intel chip set in your host.

For what it's worth--I had a Retina display laptop with Thunderbolt. I also have a PCI-e adapter card for my Magma 4-slot containing an HD4 Accel PCI-X system. I had a Harpertown MacPro, and now I have a 2010 model MacPro where the Magma TDM system still works. I tried putting the PCI-e card in a Thunderbolt chassis to see if I could run the TDM on the Retina, but no luck. The guy at Magma said essentially what nst7 said, that it was just one generation too far. The cards just didn't show up in Digitest. They still show up in the silver Intel MacPros, and as long as they test OK, they still work. But not through a Mac thunderbolt chassis. I don't know about Windows.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:36 AM

Quote:

AFAIK the drivers need to be marked as Thunderbolt aware. I could be completely wrong here, but you might try adding:

<key>IOPCITunnelCompatible</key>
<true/>

to /System/Library/Extensions/DigiDal.kext/Contents/Info.plist for the Gershwin devices that match your system.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
AFAIK the drivers need to be marked as Thunderbolt aware. I could be completely wrong here, but you might try adding:

<key>IOPCITunnelCompatible</key>
<true/>

to /System/Library/Extensions/DigiDal.kext/Contents/Info.plist for the Gershwin devices that match your system.
That would be incredible if it worked. Anybody got a rig to try it?