Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2002, 04:56 PM

Default 002 & Powerbook G3 "Wallstreet"

Anyone have a working 002 system with a Powerbook G3 "Wallstreet" 292MHz using a pc card for firewire interface? I've tried to make mine work, but I get freezes. 002 works fine on my iBook. I've tried all the tricks I could think of such as trashing prefs, reinstalling, uninstalling, external drives, internal drives.
Thanks.
Old 12-29-2002, 06:22 PM

Default Re: 002 & Powerbook G3 "Wallstreet"

I would guess that either

1. Using a firewire PCMIA card to the 002 is the problem. Its not a supported configuration, and I wouldn't be suprised that it doesn't work.

2. Your wallstreet G3 is just too slow to run the 002.
Old 12-29-2002, 08:04 PM

Frank, you are of no help to me unless you have experience with the configuration I'm asking about. Too slow? Funny, my Wallstreet runs PT24 w/32 tracks with a Magma Chassis and Apogee AD8000's. And that's not a "supported" configuration either.
Thanks.
Old 12-29-2002, 08:17 PM

As for the PCMIA card, I quote from the compatibilty for 002:
"Digi 002 Qualified FireWire PCI & CardBus Cards

A 1394 ("FireWire") controller/interface is required to connect the Digi 002 to your computer. Some computers have built-in 1394 controllers, while other computers require add-in 1394 PCI or PCMCIA controller cards (purchased separately)

CardBus FireWire Adapters for Laptops:

SIIG 1394 CardBus

ADS Pyro

Swann SwannFire FireWire CardBus

Adaptec FireConnect"
Old 12-30-2002, 08:30 AM

Terry - sorry to NOT be of help to you - I really didn't mean to be condescending, rude, or anything else for that matter.

I just highly doubted you'd be able to get a Wall street G3 with a PCMIA card running - the FW through PCMIA may be too slow (I saw similar problems when running my Lombard G3-> Newertech FW PCMIA card -> Firewire CD burner - it can't pass data through to burn faster than 4x), and the Wallstreet I believe is just too slow to run PTLE with the increased CPU overhead that a firewire audio interface demands. I wouldn't have been surprised that it will work using a Magma under TDM, since thats ultimately gonna require less CPU overhead.

That being said, if you are going to quote the Digi compato docs, I'd ask you to notice that your machine is NOT supported. The G3's start at the PISMOs, and as such - all the compatable machines are Firewire 'native'and significantly faster than the Wall street. I actually found it kind of curious that digi even tested PCMIA cards since all the supported Macs don't need 'em or can't run 'em (ibooks).

Finally, are you running one of the compatable FW card listed above- maybe thats the problem?

If I get a chance, I'll install 5.3.2 on my Lombard, and try it through the Newer PCMIA card. I really wasn't trying to bust your chops.
Old 12-31-2002, 12:22 AM

I've only tried the Adaptec PC Card.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:31 AM

Frank S,

Just picking up this thread, as I am now looking at an 002 as a second system to my Mix3...

Did you ever try the 002 with the Lombard and Newertech firewire card? That is the same system I have. The card seems to work pretty well with my EZ Quest Cobra 120 Gig drive, but I haven't used it for anything else. Would be nice to hear if you got it to work. Thanks.

rcm