Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-23-2005, 12:54 PM

Default OT: help with live sound

Hey everyone, I have never done live sound.
Me and a buddy mine perform as an acoustic duo.
We have a 6 channel yamaha P.A. with standard to speakers on poles, and then we each have a monitor.
MY question is what is the easiest way to get Spearate monitor mixes for each of us.
Right now we can mix the monitors, i mean, turn the guitars or vocals louder in the monitors, but both of our monitors are the same mix.

I was looking at a small mixer like This

Is that all we would need.
what would be the chain?
all instruments into the mixer, make the monitor mixes from there, then just 2 stereo outs into P.A. head (already mixed).

then it seems the P.A. isn't doing anything (except power)

Anyway someone please enlighten me.
It's so easy I'm sure, if I could just watch a band and see what they have..

Tim
Old 07-23-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Re: OT: help with live sound

is the 6 channel yamaha you have now powered? or do you run the outputs of that to an amp then to the speakers.

also is the yamaha u have stereo or mono? and does it have Aux Sends.

If it is stereo and has Aux sends what you would want to do is, let's just say Aux 1+2 for example, and have those sends go to a stereo power amp, then the levels on the Mixer for Aux 1+2 will be how you set each person's level, you would use only Aux 1 for 1 person and Aux 2 for the other. IDK if that made sense how i typed it, but i guess answer the first questions i had first and if possible post a link to the 6 channel yamaha your using that way i can help you out better.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:20 PM

If your monitors are powered, you can use the AUX channels from that Yamaha mixer to feed the monitor inputs. Aux 1 out into the first monitor, Aux 2 out into the second monitor. Just think of that row of auxes as track volume for each monitor and off you go. If you use a stereo AMP to power the monitors, just send Aux1 to Left and Aux2 to right. If you use one amp to run both the mains and the monitors, I dunno how you'd get three mixes through it.

mixers are just a collection of inputs and outputs. imagine pouring water into any input and the rest of the crap is just where you send the water and how much of it you're gonna send. dont try this at home.

Will
Old 07-23-2005, 03:26 PM

man I type slow.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:44 PM

keyboarding class

the best thing I got out of highschool.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Hey everyone, I have never done live sound.
Me and a buddy mine perform as an acoustic duo.
We have a 6 channel yamaha P.A. with standard to speakers on poles, and then we each have a monitor.
MY question is what is the easiest way to get Spearate monitor mixes for each of us.
Right now we can mix the monitors, i mean, turn the guitars or vocals louder in the monitors, but both of our monitors are the same mix.

I was looking at a small mixer like This

Is that all we would need.
what would be the chain?
all instruments into the mixer, make the monitor mixes from there, then just 2 stereo outs into P.A. head (already mixed).

then it seems the P.A. isn't doing anything (except power)

Anyway someone please enlighten me.
It's so easy I'm sure, if I could just watch a band and see what they have..

Tim
That should work fine for your duo. Send your mixes through these...2 aux sends and stereo aux return

2 auxiliary sends on each channel -- one post-fader and one switchable for pre- or post-fader operation -- provide plenty of flexibility for external signal processing and monitoring. A stereo auxiliary return is also provided.

Allen Heath makes some pretty decent mixers also. I use their 16x4 all the time to mix live bands.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:41 PM

MG 12/4 is a small piece of crap, realy think about what your getting, 6 mic pres and 2 stereo channels, and only 2 aux sends only one of which can be pre fader. it wont even solve the problem.
get a decent amount of channels and you will need 2 pre fader aux sends for monitors
as mentioned Allen & Heath make very nice desks, i would recomend a mix mizard, they rock especially the series 3, but if you looking at an MG12 a wizzard is probley out of your price range. could look at a PA12 still only has 8mic pres and they are no wizzard but at least gets you into a a good quality desk with 4aux sends (2pre, 2post) and good faders and decent eq. not sure on exact pricing
Old 07-24-2005, 02:29 AM

Get a small mixer with 2 prefader aux-busses. It's only 2 guys playing acoustic, so i reckon its only four mic's...right? (2 vocal and 2 guitar) Then you dont need a very large console with a slew of micpre's.

Get one with more then enough pre's (5 or 6 or so), end get 2 powered monitors (wedge with amp build in).

idea for mixer
idea for monitors

Or.....just learn to live with a less then optimal monitormix for you (ie.....use what you have now and dont change a thing...)

Bastiaan
Old 07-24-2005, 03:35 PM

Quote:

as mentioned Allen & Heath make very nice desks, i would recomend a mix mizard, they rock especially the series 3,
I agree I have an Allen&Heath Mixwizard3 16:2 and it kicks arse...
Old 07-26-2005, 03:45 PM

thanks for the replies guys..

the yamaha p.a. is powered, and it is 4 outputs, A and B with each of those having 1 and 2.
currently we put the speakers that face the crowd in A 1 and 2, and our monitors in B 1 and 2.

here is our p.a.

take a look at it if you like..