Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2003, 12:23 AM

Default Re: iLok Revolt???

If the ilok included pt authorization, i'd be first in line to buy it. That would give all of us so much more functionality than being able to authorize pluggins whereever we go.

-Chris
Pro Tools LE 7.4
Event 20/20bas
bottle of Johnnie Walker Black behind right monitor
Old 02-15-2003, 12:53 AM

Yeah, and I can't wait until the day my iLok snaps off in the back of my powerbook. Brilliant!

Isn't MBox supposed to be the portable solution?
Old 02-15-2003, 03:46 AM

[quote]Originally posted by AverageJoe:
Quote:
Since I guess I'm the guy "whining," [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] I guess I get to respond to this one...

First, most of us have said we don't care about the portability! Also, if you read my post, I give a much better and USEFUL solution- using a disk on key or other portable USB pen drive.

By the sound of the marketing pitch you give for iLok, you must be looking for either a free iLok or a job!

We ARE arguing that it's NOT the perfect solution. Not even close. I haven't had a floppy drive for quite some time and yet I still managed to figure out how to type in my challenge-response codes! Got new ones when I switched machines. Guess what, it was free.

When I work in another studio, it's almost always for tracking something in which case I could care less what plugs I have! Anyways, most studios have a pretty full set of plugs anyway!

Anyway, I don't think any of us are waaaay off here as you suggest. We're simply discussing what seem to us to be better ways of authorizing plugs- such as the best idea yet, make the iLok hold a PT authorization so PT can be used without hardware for editing.

so put that in your iLok and authorize it!
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually I didn't think you in particular was whinning about it, but whatever.

You are wrong Joe, I don't need an iLok or a job, I am more than OK on both fronts but thank you - so no ulterior motives or conspiracy theories please. I use the iLok and it does what they say it does - really no spin tactics.

More and more laptops are being used in pro and amatuer environments, and of all the trends, its probably the biggest change in music production today. Portability is a big big big selling point - don't kid yourself.

Also, I have 4 Macs in my studio all with Digi hardware - desktops and laptops - and being able to buy an iLok authorization once and use on each is a big big plus. Most C/R authorization schemes don't allow for four or five authorizations - they start getting antsy when you ask for more than a couple.

And to address your comment about perfect - you are right here - there's no perfect solution. Honesty and paying for software would be a perfect solution so we wouldn't have to go thru this crap - but you know that ain't gonna happen. Reality is that even in some of the 'big' studios I've been in have a full complement of cracked software - no thank you.

I am glad you have a better proposal, and I'd be happy if my iLok did more than it does too, but its really not the 'big deal' that some of the above posters are making it out to be.

eMagic with Logic does just what you suggest - a hardware dongle that holds the authoriztion for the main software and any eMagic plugins you own - and allows you to run Logic without any other hardware - but Digi (outside of PT free) will NEVER EVER do this - its not part of their marketing schema, and its kind of irrelevant to a discussion on whether the iLok is good or bad copy protection per se. I am sure you are not suprised to learn that I have and use Logic Plat 5.5 as well, with the XSKey, and kinda like that too.

Reality - you want to access the coolest tools of the day - you MAY have to spend the $40 for the iLok, and it works. Some developers still give you the choice of C/R or iLok, and I guess we both know what each other will pick.

I am now going back to my iLok equipped studio to make music.
Old 02-15-2003, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by John H:
blame apple for not supporting floppy drives under OS X. If they did, the iLok wouldn't be essential for plug-in authorisation.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Why do people think this? OSX is fine with floppies. I do it all the time.

BTW, iLok only needs to be plugged while opening a session that has iLok'ed plugs or when you are adding an iLok'ed plug. it can then be removed. once you quit and re-launch it will need to be put back for 5 secs. I'm speaking about TDM 5.3.1 on OS9, not sure if 6 will be different.
drew

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-15-2003, 05:21 AM

I agree, ilok or whatever is always crackable - there are people out there with time on their hands who's drive is to crack software etc. Software developers know this and ultimately it will fall to the conscience of a user (whether or not to pay ... blah blah) (This is reminiscent of the 'software prices are high because of pirates' argument) So why ilok? Maybe it's to inconvenience would be pirates? Legit users? The powerbook issue sucks, and I would be pissed - but what can we, the humble and futile, do?
Old 02-15-2003, 06:15 AM

I'm for the iLok. True there is not [i]perfect[/] cypher. But a hardware key is pretty close.
The only question I have never had an answer to is, "if I sell a plugin, how do i take the code off the iLok to give to the new owner?"
Assume that I've upgraded to a newer, different plugin and want to sell the old plugin which is still quite usable.
Old 02-15-2003, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lynxxx:
Where will it go? The Apple keyboard is supposed to go straight in. The Mbox has to go straight in. That's 2, direct all gone.Mouse/trackball goes in 1 keyboard port, Midi interface in the other. Unplug Midi put in hub, now my Midi has 2 points of resistance in the line. I only use it to let PT control the drum machine. Makes me uneasy. Does dongle work off hub? And why can't you stick it in, authorize, then take it out?(like procreation [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] )
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Got an Apple Display ?? - 2 more USB ports that you can use for keys, mouse, whatever.

Whether you use your MIDI interface on a hub connected to the keyboard - or your mouse to the same hub instead - its still going to another USB connection - in essence your keyboard is a USB hub. My setup has a USB hub (Belkin) with my iLok, XSkey, and MT4 USB interface connected to it without any problems whatsoever.
Old 02-15-2003, 03:47 PM

it's pretty obvious from the digi and iLok site that you only need the iLok in ANY USB port for it to work. You don't need it straight into the mac.

How do you remove/transfer licences?
Old 02-15-2003, 11:11 PM

I think Ipswitch has a point.
Lets not blame hackers for making software expensive it was expensive beffore the internet and Limewire, Lets buy Iloks if we need to,or have to, but tell it like it is, It's another way of geting hard earned $$$ out of us all. I

If I sell my CD for $500.00 and then expect people to buy a special key to play it I would deserve and expect peaople to hack it and despise me for it.

I cant stand the huge double standard, would a programer of software buy an audio CD for a couple of hundred bucks? to listen to while he is programeing a piece of software that I will need to to buy to make my next CD? I don't think so.

Just thinking out loud...and I am probaly wrong

Peace have fun with PT6
NoteFarm
Old 02-16-2003, 04:10 AM

By Notefarm
Quote:
If I sell my CD for $500.00, and then expect people to buy a special key to play it, I would deserve and expect people to hack it and despise me for it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hello. Did you listen to what you wrote before you wrote it? Or was it supposed to be a joke? Because what's the difference with any other product in the marketplace? If a car is way overpriced, is it OK to steal it? If someone is asking way too much for a house, should you get it for free? If a restaurant charges you a $100 for steak do you just leave and not pay? Why do people keep justifying stealing by saying something is overpriced? CD's are overpriced. Obscenely so. They should really sell for between $7 and $9 for new stuff, $5 to $7 for older stuff, like vinyl used to. But NOTHING justifies stealing. This kind of logic is in the same ballpark as raping a woman because she had slutty clothes on; she was asking for it right?