Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 11-02-2011, 01:47 AM

Default Re: OK, so how do things currently stand for the 'LE' crowd ?

Newsflash: you can still get PT9 crossgrades, 002s, 003's, and all sorts of other discontinued items.
There's this new site on the interwebs called "eBay."
Old 11-02-2011, 02:32 AM

i love the ebay statement - perfectly true - infact I've bough off of you...several times if memory serves me right - thanks!

9 was an awesome upgrade - adc, use of non-digi hardware - built in digitranslator function - damn paid $300 for digitranslator back in the day

in addition to updating to 9 (for a mobile rig)

I went out and bought an hd 2 system, why, cause folks are selling them cheap - I now have a stay in the studio rig - it's a nice feeling to have things set-up as a constant and have a mobile rig when required

I'll stay on HD 8 forever..or until I buy 10 off of ebay in a few years

i'll keep on 9 till PT hits 64 bit (expected PT 11)

I'm really gonna try to resist going beyond HD8 and non-card native 9

cause...it makes little sense to me to go further

When PT 11 hits this is going to be huge! I'm waiting for 11 to land

I suspect that with 11 will come the costs of new gear

I suspect that my 003r may well be not supported...but ya never know...anyone knowing anything on that one?? please chime - I'm eager to learn...and then add to that the cost of updates to plugs...ha ha, yup...I am anticipating much pain - but as well, an incredible upgrade to capability will then be expected

I expect to keep my aged HD2 sytem for 3 to 5 years...and will add plugs as they drop in price to 'no brainer' purchases

We have tons of opportunity to make our music with strong tools from digi/avid

alls good in my world...as I've stated in another thread - I'm not buying anything else unless I'm blown-away, cause that's what the competition is providing...on the cheap...(but they still ain't PT...that means something to me)

I'll monitor what all you folks are saying about using 10, as ha ha - temptation is half the fun
Old 11-02-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
Let's see: 48 more tracks, and delay compensation.
Curious as to what would have made PT9 "worth the money" to you?
Maybe a new car thrown in?
I suppose it's all relative isn't it. Didn't think I needed to say 'worth the money for my workflow'.
btw, I get unlimited tracks & delay comp in another DAW for a lot less...still no car though.

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation
Old 11-08-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRogers View Post
PT10 has very little to do with LE customers. It is a good bye kiss to people with legacy HD hardware. This is very clearly a "skippable" upgrade for LE customers. Avid has signaled very clearly that a major 64bit upgrade is next. What is the best guess? A year? So I can't imagine an LE user buying PT10 and not expecting to upgrade to PT11. To decide whether to upgrade now you have to estimate the total amount you would pay for PT10 and PT11 vs the amount for just PT11. Then you have to decide if the additional cost is worth having the extra features for a year (?). For instance, I have PT9. So PT10 is $300. If PT11 is $300 for PT10 owners and $500 for PT9 or lower (the current deal) then I pay $600 for PT10 and PT11 vs. $500 for skipping PT10. $100 to use PT10 for a year. Of course, if there is no discount for PT10 users vs. PT9 users, then it's $300 (max).

So are the features of PT10 worth the extra bucks for a short term use? That's a personal decision. I'm leaning toward it. But I'm waiting until I get the CD I'm working on done. (Upgrading software in the middle of a project makes me nervous.)
I have to clarify that for legacy LE hardware folks (002, 003) PT 10 is the last stop. Which for me is NOT a bad thing!
Old 11-08-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubpimpjuice View Post
I have to clarify that for legacy LE hardware folks (002, 003) PT 10 is the last stop. Which for me is NOT a bad thing!
+1
Old 11-08-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_uk View Post
+1
Yes !? do you have a better alternative....
I7 950
RAM 24Gb corsair 1600 (3 sticks)
9-9-9-24
MAC
MacBookPro i7 2,3 15"
RAM 16gb
PT 11.3
003 Rack
MBox 3 Pro
Old 11-08-2011, 09:17 AM

^^^ Why are you confused at my post

I am in agreement with this by dubpimpjuice..
<I have to clarify that for legacy LE hardware folks (002, 003) PT 10 is the last stop. Which for me is NOT a bad thing! >

As far as something better...we will have to wait. I have the 003 console and i like it.
I dont feel compelled to upgrade. Certainly not the ebay way. I would rather just hang on to it
I think they will come out with a newer control type unit and possibly offer an upgrade path..but i,m not sweating it. How much more integrated can you get than the 003 console ?...other than bigger.
I also have an Axiom pro which is very well integrated with PT
Old 11-08-2011, 09:43 AM

A new interface(non HD), hope be a good replacement for 003
allow us keep on PT 11
I7 950
RAM 24Gb corsair 1600 (3 sticks)
9-9-9-24
MAC
MacBookPro i7 2,3 15"
RAM 16gb
PT 11.3
003 Rack
MBox 3 Pro
Old 11-08-2011, 11:12 AM

I agree with the OP - Avid have thrown a good introductory offer to the HD crowd but nothing to the LE loyal users.

By charging around half the full price of the product for an upgrade download, Avid's business model is basically to exploit existing users to subsidise new users.

For all the work the coders have put in to make this upgrade, one year's work isn't the equivalent of the last 10 years work that went into the rest of the code.

I hope Avid's marketing and pricing department wake up and give a similar offer to the LE users as they have to the HD users.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:19 PM

Just went through these thoughts for M-Powered. After October 20, there's no other way to PT10 than paying the $499 (valid for both M-Powered and LE crossgrades). This is stated on AVIDs "Pro Tools 10 FAQ" page:

Q: If I just purchased Pro Tools 9 software or a system that came with Pro Tools 9, do I get a complimentary upgrade to Pro Tools 10 too?
A: Yes, it's possible. If you purchased a Pro Tools 9 product or upgrade within the time period stated below, you're eligible to receive a complimentary software upgrade:
- You purchased and registered new Pro Tools 9 software (full version) or a product bundled with Pro Tools 9, including the Mbox family or Eleven Rack, on or after October 1, 2011
- You purchased and registered a Pro Tools 9 upgrade or crossgrade on or between October 1–20, 2011

The second "rule" mentions the October 1-20 time window regarding the Pro Tools 9 upgrades/crossgrades.

Luckily I have one more reason for complaining: As a EU citizen, I'll have to pay 427 Euros ~ $589 for the PT10 crossgrade in the AVID store. Not going to happen. Last chance for me is to sit and wait for spring and MP10. That is if AVID hasn't been sucked down in a black hole of bad management before that.