Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 06-14-1999, 09:47 PM

Default Re: NT / MAC Cross Platform File Services

Hello Digi & respected folks at Sounddogs,

Is there a Digi answer to this inquiry on its way? I read it with great interest and was disappointed to see no conclusion yet. My company creates PC games, and we have a Mac in our sound studio – whose 4.3.1 PT is notoriously inflexible when it comes to other formats and compression algorithms.

I would also like to see import and export of MPEG3 format, and ADPCM. Currently I keep having to move big WAVs over to Sound Forge to continue work on them. Work on PT seems increasingly to be bookended by some type of preparatory or concluding conversion work.

Or is there a way to make adding import/export functions open to addition by 3rd party companies, like TDM plugins are? That way folks could write the compressors or whatever.

Regards,

MG
Old 06-16-1999, 08:57 AM

Hey Rob,
PT is moving to using AIFF and WAV files as its native file formats. This will happen on the Mac in a future release. On NT we currently allow the option of using SDII (on MacOpener mounted HFS drives) or a variant of .WAV that is AES31/Broadcast wave compliant.

The Convert/Import dialog on the Mac is also going to get an overhaul in a future release (not 5.0) to bring it to parity with the NT version. It will include a volume slider. In the current Convert/Import dialog if you select a file that is the same bit depth/sample rate of the session it just does a 1:1 copy. Otherwise it will do a conversion. I would be wary of using Turbo Morph on anything that I really cared about. It used the Sound Manager for SR conversion which does either simple linear interpolation in its high quality mode or worse yet just doubles particular samples in its "fast" mode. PT uses a multi-tap FIR filter to do its SR conversion so it is much higher quality.
-Mike Rockwell
Old 06-16-1999, 10:08 AM

Mike, thanks for the reply.

We are Sd2f / 48 K native right now. What would be better from MAC and NT cross-platform integration? AIFF or WAV?

Unfortunately for Sd2f, Quick Time recognizes the files but can not handle the files. In order to make a fluent library application inexpensively we are using browser technology combined with File Maker Pro. Sd2f does not work in the browser world for auditioning.

re: Turbo Morph, I guess that is why it is 6 times faster than Pro Tools in BEST mode. We are experiencing problems batch converting folders over a network. Seems to lock Turbo Morph up. We are not SR converting, just changing formats to AIFF or WAV.

BTW - One thing I have also noticed with NT is that if you create a file type .L or .R, NT will recognize the file, but will not handle it. If the file is .L.SD2, it will recognize and handle the file. Unfortunately when you go from NT to MAC (and you want to be be browser friendly) you use six characters (.L.SD2) at the end of a file name.

-Rob
Old 06-16-1999, 11:03 AM

"Unfortunately for Sd2f, Quick Time recognizes the files but can not handle the files."

Rob - not sure what you mean by not "handling" the files (QT seems to work just fine with SD2 on my mac). Are you talking about NT not playing SD2, or about browser plugins not playing SD2?

Mike
Old 06-22-1999, 05:55 PM

QT4 Browser plugin does not play Sd2f files.

The QT 4 plug in reads the file, but then does not pop up and play it. Aiff, WAV, and AU all pop up and play immediately.

If you look up the QT4 spec. you'll see that there is a limitation to Sd2f as opposed to AIFF.

Maybe Digidesign should make us all a plugin to handle the file format, or "give" the information to Apple so that they can impliment it into QT4.

Maybe Digidesign does not realize how important compatability with browser technology is.

ROB