Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2011, 06:19 AM

Default i think i F***ed my Computer

i am not sure but i think i really broke my Mac pro...

i added a 3rd Accel card a few days ago , and since i did my very stable Mac pro crashes a few times a day....
when i added the accel card the Ram went crazy and i had to change the Ram boards places , cause even if i had 8 gigs of ram installed it showed only 2 gigs of ram.....

after switching between the 2 boards it showed 8 Giga.....

now today , i am doing some Arrangements with some of my old Virtual samplers , that i always use with no hassle.... Like Mach 5 and contact , but after loading some samples it quits....and crashes , and dies on me , freezes the computer....leaving me nothing but to push the power button for a few seconds to restart...

did i made something that bad that i could have ruined the motherboard? or the Ram boards?

my mac was never giving me any troubles , even when i used it with LE 2 years ago , and until a few days ago it was the most stable machine i have ever had.....

did i fu*&^ed it up?
Avid Omni HD
MacPro 2.4 Xeon 8 core 24Giga
UAD-2 And most of the UAD plugins
All AAX DSP and Native Plugins (all most)
Tons of Hardware...:)
Old 11-19-2011, 06:49 AM

Default Re: i think i F***ed my Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilulilu888 View Post
i am not sure but i think i really broke my Mac pro...

i added a 3rd Accel card a few days ago , and since i did my very stable Mac pro crashes a few times a day....
when i added the accel card the Ram went crazy and i had to change the Ram boards places , cause even if i had 8 gigs of ram installed it showed only 2 gigs of ram.....

after switching between the 2 boards it showed 8 Giga.....

now today , i am doing some Arrangements with some of my old Virtual samplers , that i always use with no hassle.... Like Mach 5 and contact , but after loading some samples it quits....and crashes , and dies on me , freezes the computer....leaving me nothing but to push the power button for a few seconds to restart...

did i made something that bad that i could have ruined the motherboard? or the Ram boards?

my mac was never giving me any troubles , even when i used it with LE 2 years ago , and until a few days ago it was the most stable machine i have ever had.....

did i fu*&^ed it up?
When you remove the 3rd card and put things back the way they were how does it act? Have you deleted prefs and databases? Reset permissions?

Perhaps it's nothing more than how you have the cards placed.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 11-19-2011, 02:44 PM

Default Re: i think i F***ed my Computer

When you installed or removed the cards did R35 fall off
It's a common problem when some people use a little more force than necessary
This will cause erratic behavior when operating pro tools

There are also 3 capacitors just inline above R35 that can fall off as well

FYI I repair this problem with quick turn around, using all OEM parts

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear