Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-07-2010, 02:29 PM

Default Re: corrupt audio files PT 8.0.3

I just had the same issue:
The session was fine before I closed.
I opened today and the 1 last recording file is reported offline. It is visible in finder and the workspace browser but can't be opened by any application.
The backup I did right after the recording is the same.

My client needs this file!

Mac OS 10.6.3
LE 8.0.3cs2
Old 05-08-2010, 12:16 AM

I managed to restore the file with SH header repair.

This is the worst Protools bug since dissappearing regions in 7.3!

(I know 10.6.3 is not yet qualified)
Old 05-08-2010, 10:01 AM

A friend of mine's got this problem.
Felix> How exactly did you do the header repair, is that some kind of software? Maybe you have a link?
thanks
Old 05-08-2010, 10:14 AM

Tim,
I used Soundhack for this, it's free.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:16 AM

Felix, hate to say it, but I'm pretty sure 8.0.3 has issues with missing regions as well.

good to know about the soundhack fix for these corrupt audio files.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:25 AM

I have been having similar problems, when inverting a file using the AudioSuite facility, that file can not be found on re-opening the session.

I know I could just invert in using one of the eq's or whatever but this shouldn't be a problem.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamPT8 View Post
I have been having similar problems, when inverting a file using the AudioSuite facility, that file can not be found on re-opening the session.

I know I could just invert in using one of the eq's or whatever but this shouldn't be a problem.
Could you test this using a different drive and let us know if the same problem occurs?
Old 05-15-2010, 07:54 AM

Just tested this with my system drive and with my external drive, both worked fine this time. As I said though, it seems to just randomly happen. Will it make a difference inverting it on LE and opening it the next time on HD? I think thats when I found out, when I inverted in on my LE and then took it to the HD in the studio. I'm not able to test this atm. Shouldn't be a problem though I wouldn't have thought.

My HDD is a brand new 500GB Lacie D2 Quadra
Old 05-15-2010, 05:53 PM

I had the same problem a few weeks ago.
MacPro 8 core, OS X 10.6.3, PT 8.0.3cs2.

I was recording engineer for 2 days on this session, 20 composers for a seminar with a chamber orchestra. I was not the ProTools engineer so I don't know for sure if there were errors when recording but I suspect not. The person running ProTools was very good.

When I went to mix the sessions, 2 audio files were corrupted. Different sessions. They were in the Audio Files folder, and the Finder saw them but ProTools did not recognize them as audio files.

I suspected a header problem. I tried Soundhack and it would not fix the header.

I opened a hex editor and compared a couple of good tracks of that take against the corrupted track. I noticed the header was fine for the first few bytes until after the ProTools information, then went crazy until the 'data' section then seemed to be OK. I tried just copying the info from the good file to the bad, maintaining the sector count so the file length wouldn't change. It worked.

Now, I had 30 tracks that were recorded at the same time for each take so I could compare one file with another. If I had recorded only one track at a time I don't know if I would have found the header corruption. I haven't had any corrupted files since so I don't know what was going on - although, the studios I've been working at have older versions of PT, not 8.0.3.

I could see if I still have the corrupted files around to specifically detail what I fixed (if anyone is interested) but I suspect that they're gone. I think I fixed the problem and deleted the bad files.
I have mixed all the tracks from that session - on that machine with PT 8.0.3cs2 - and not one corrupted file.

Vince
Old 05-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamPT8 View Post
Just tested this with my system drive and with my external drive, both worked fine this time. As I said though, it seems to just randomly happen. Will it make a difference inverting it on LE and opening it the next time on HD? I think thats when I found out, when I inverted in on my LE and then took it to the HD in the studio. I'm not able to test this atm. Shouldn't be a problem though I wouldn't have thought.

My HDD is a brand new 500GB Lacie D2 Quadra
I'm thinking it's a bad drive or bad drive format on the one you're having problems with.

If the problem doesn't occur with the drive you're currently using, I would recommend backing up the problematic drive, erase it and copy everything back, then test again.