Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2002, 09:14 PM

Default Guitar Sound/Effect

I'm trying to get a particular guitar sound. I don't know how to describe it really. It's a "Boston" sound. In fact that's where i heard on the front of Boston's song Rock and Roll Band. If anybody knows what the hell i'm talking about I'd appreciate if they could point me in the right direction to recreate that tone.
Old 11-06-2002, 03:03 AM

Default Re: Guitar Sound/Effect

The guitarist, Tom Scholtz, of Boston uses and created the Rockman. It's a great recording amp. Lots of upper mids. The preamp is not very expensive. I don't know if its still being manufactured but its a great pawn shop find.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:45 AM

I read an article in guitar player back when the album was released. Tom used some agressive eq cuts to acheive that "paper bag being ripped "guitar tone. Might try some cuts around 160 and play with that. Hope this helps
Old 11-06-2002, 11:55 AM

wow..a blast from the past.

You could probably find a used rockman for dirt cheap, and that thing sounds just like those records plugged straight in. Some even have the chorus and reverb.. not a bad little headphone/practice amp either.

Yeah..old Tom was way ahead of the game back then

Steve
Old 11-06-2002, 02:56 PM

I believe the basic Rockman will do. It's about the size of a walkman, and had a clean and dirty switch. The more advance ones that came later had the chorus/reverb, and were also made that size and in a rack space...

Ah yes, the 80's guitar tone. Well this is tough. There were a lot of hot rodded amps done by various people like Jose Aredondo (spelling) (Van Halen) and a host of others so it's hard to say. Between that and the custom guitars and pickups, mics and mic placement....anyone in mind specifically?
Eddie's was the s*** but also George Lynch, Ronnie LeTrekko (TNT) some of my faves anyway. Back in the day before POD, AMP farm, etc.
Actually, I heard the Amplitube plug in and it had some very cool 80's type guitar tones..maybe that would do...check it out , and certainly it would be easier to dial that thing in as opposed to all the amps, but then again...

Enjoy

Steve
Old 11-07-2002, 12:08 AM

Thanks guys! I'll try all your suggestions. I'm only 23, but i've loved Boston since i was kid. I've always wanted to get that guitar sound! I went on Ebay and there is a ton of Rockman stuff. What exactly is the product i need?? One more question. Obviously i'm not too familiar with guitar effects aside from the basic distortion. How do you go about getting that tone heard on 80s "hair metal" tunes?
Old 11-07-2002, 12:58 AM

There were a whole series of these made,,the best one,in my opinion,was the first one but i realy cant remember the model names,and i sold mine years ago,,do a search of the web and see what you can find,,you may get lucky and find the rack version,,there are two of these,,one was a host for the walkman style one,and the other was the guts of the walkman style in a 19"rack,,from memory,,both of these had dual mono outs instead of the single sterio out on the original unit,,
Old 11-15-2002, 08:02 AM

I believe one of those old MXR blue faced graphic eqs is also a critical part of that sound.

That and big hair!
he.he.

D